???about my Browning A5 shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ???about my Browning A5 shotgun

Its a FN built pre ww2 A5. I got it from my great grandfather. Just curious what the switch on the left side of the receiver is for? It looks like some sort of block to keep the gun from auto-loading. I'm going to take it out this week and would like to know what that switch is for.

The switch is the magazine cutoff. It lets you clear the action without having to cycle through the magazine. Lead shot is not going to be a big deal. Shooting cheap light loads through it will be. The A5's LOVE heavy loads. Anything above 1&1/8oz should be fine, but that might even be too light.

EDIT: Don't worry about the surface rust. Just oil the piss out of it. If you try to take the rust off you will ruin the gun.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Thanks for info. That's pretty much what I thought just wanted to make sure. I will be shooting 11/8 winchester heavy loads. So we will see how she does.

Comment

True about the rust. I never mess with finishes on my older guns. Just wish browning had better records on pre war2 stuff. Havnt been able to get exact manufacture date.

Comment

If the gas rings are setup properly light loads will cycle fine.

"It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
            If the gas rings are setup properly light loads will cycle fine.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/browning_A-5_running.htm
            Learn something new every day. Thanks, dee!
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I grew up with a A5 and didn't know it for several years, not that it mattered our reloads were far from light.
              "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Working...
              X