Explorer Rear Hatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer Rear Hatch

My 2004 Explorer has the dreaded cracked panel under the rear glass. It's actually the second one. The original was cracked, but when I got a two-tone paint job on the truck last year, I purchased a new panel and had the emblem indention filled and smoothed and the two-tone goes across the panel. The guy who did the work swore that he would be able to attach the panel and it would never crack. Well, it did. Hell, it's got three cracks and looks like shit. I've heard that the best method involves spreading the glue evenly like icing a cake instead of just a bead. Is that right?

My real question is this - if I buy a new panel, do you guys have a guaranteed method of putting it on to where it won't crack again? Do y'all replace a lot of these? Every 3rd gen Explorer or Mountaineer I see on the road has the same issue. Furthermore, can you smooth the emblem indention and repaint the panel to match my paint job? The colors aren't anything crazy.

I'll try to post pics later.

Thanks!

I have the same issue with my 2006. I'm just too lazy to address it.

Comment

Those Explorers and Aviators are notorious about cracking that panel. We do a few here and there. I think the materials they use to make the part is not strong enough to take the slamming of the gate glass. It just glues on to the glass. We have our glass guy come out and install them after we paint them. I also think the weather detoriates it rather quickly. I honestly couldnt guarantee that we could have a new one glued on there and not have it crack. I can smooth it and paint it, but Im sure sometime in the future it will crack again. When people come in with them, we just replace them. We've never tried to repair them because you have to repair from the backside and the front. Once you try take it off, if will break into even more peices. I'm not sure really what the answer it than just buy one and see how long it goes.....

Comment

Thanks for the honesty.

While the material isn't especially strong, I do know that it's not from slamming the glass. My Explorer sat for months and the hatch was never opened. Then one day, the crack just showed up.

I've been told that it's from the glue expanding and contracting due to cold and hot weather, and that's why it has to be put on in an even layer, so that it all moves together. I don't think the last guy used this method. I don't think most glass guys do, either.

I am hesitant to have another panel smoothed and painted just to have to do it over again in a year.

I guess I'm looking for a shop that has found a real fix for this, if it truly exists.

Again, thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
          Thanks for the honesty.

While the material isn't especially strong, I do know that it's not from slamming the glass. My Explorer sat for months and the hatch was never opened. Then one day, the crack just showed up.

I've been told that it's from the glue expanding and contracting due to cold and hot weather, and that's why it has to be put on in an even layer, so that it all moves together. I don't think the last guy used this method. I don't think most glass guys do, either.

I am hesitant to have another panel smoothed and painted just to have to do it over again in a year.

I guess I'm looking for a shop that has found a real fix for this, if it truly exists.

Again, thanks for your input.
          I wish I had a fix all answer. If you do find something or someone who can permanently fix it, I would love to hear how. I think many would. If I can help in anyway, please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
            I wish I had a fix all answer. If you do find something or someone who can permanently fix it, I would love to hear how. I think many would. If I can help in anyway, please let me know.
            Right on.

Comment

Working...
            X