Home Router / Parental Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Router / Parental Controls

I'm very familiar with "enterprise" class crap, but at home I'm ignorant on what is and is not good for the house. I have a 100/5 cable inet, their modem is good enough so I'm not looking to venture into an all-in-one for DOCSIS purposes.

I used to run things like an ASA 5505...etc, but thought for sure relatively modern home routers would out perform it. Currently I have a 1900AC via Linksys that I'm sending back. I loaded DD-WRT and it works great, but I have to police it to 10M download or else I get crashes under heavy load.

I've just ordered a 3200ACM, which I'll also load DD-WRT on to as well and see if it does any better under load. I use a bunch of the different things in DD-WRT and the factory firmwares just seems weak overall.

I know there is an older thread that is similar to this, but wanted to start this thread for more recent information. What routers have you found work well under heavy load and with DD-WRT or with good parental controls?

I leverage opendns, (router just crashed while type this...)...and then access restrictions (filtering and time periods) in DD-WRT, plus various other features it has on it.

I'm debating if the 3200ACM fails to be reliable, I may swap back over to the ASA5505 and do as much as possible via the CLI - but the GUI of DD-WRT does make life quite a bit easier/simpler plus the mobile app to drop my kid's Inet access on the spot when they want to be pricks.

With the ASA5505, I never have failures with it - only when there are ISP type issues. However, it is old tech and what I'm looking to do should not be hard with modern tech.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

I just use the stuffs that the POS FiOS router offers+AdGuard DNS. I can log into the router and block anyone I want when I'm home or remote into my desktop and do it when I'm away.

I used to use Open DNS as well, but not on the router. I didn't like having to have their util running on the endpoint and they didn't have an option for Android/ChromeOS when I stopped using them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
      I just use the stuffs that the POS FiOS router offers+AdGuard DNS. I can log into the router and block anyone I want when I'm home or remote into my desktop and do it when I'm away.

I used to use Open DNS as well, but not on the router. I didn't like having to have their util running on the endpoint and they didn't have an option for Android/ChromeOS when I stopped using them.
      Yeah, here the cable provider just provides some DOCSIS 3.X MODEM or you can provide it yourself. I just use the DNS IPs for opendns for the people I want under that. Kids are only 8 right now - so they have not quite figured out how to bypass that. When they do I'll put down an ACL for it.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
      X