Some meat from our first full smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thehead View Post
    They were two different cuts. One was a bone in. The other 5 small ones were boneless which is why I made the distinction.
    Don't mind him. He just knows everything.

Comment

They were two different cuts. One was a bone in. The other 5 small ones were boneless which is why I made the distinction.
      that.

Whole Pork Shoulder
      The pork shoulder makes up most of the pig's foreleg. The portion from the knee down is sold as a ham hock. The portion from the knee up past the shoulder blade to the backbone is called the shoulder. A full shoulder typically weighs 12 to 18 lbs., depending on the size of the hog and how aggressively the cut is trimmed. This is rather large for most retail purposes, so it is usually cut into a lower portion, called the picnic roast, and an upper portion, called the pork butt or Boston butt.

Pork Butt
      The pork butt, or Boston butt, is a neatly rectangular cut. It will typically weight six to 10 lbs., depending on the size of the hog and how the roast is trimmed. Its shape is very regular, ensuring that it will cook evenly throughout. The roast contains a portion of the shoulder blade, which might be left in or taken out for retail sale. The meat is marbled, so it remains moist during long, slow cooking. The butt itself is still rather large for many households, and can be broken down into smaller roasts for retail purposes.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_8587348_por...#ixzz2XobuGFx2
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

It was pretty damn tasty. Thanks Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          It was pretty damn tasty. Thanks Christian.
          Welcome. ....... I'll have to remind you next time that you don't like ribs!

I recondition headlights on most cars for $50.00. If interested shoot me a pm.

Comment

Welcome. ....... I'll have to remind you next time that you don't like ribs!
            Dafuq?
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
              Dafuq?

I don't DISLIKE ribs, I just don't eat them because of the work/reward ratio. Same thing with some seafoods. That stuff literally fell off the bone.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                I don't DISLIKE ribs, I just don't eat them because of the work/reward ratio. Same thing with some seafoods. That stuff literally fell off the bone.
                so you like ribs, as long as they are good ribs, and dont want to waste your time on the bad stuff?

Noted.

Comment

Still all shoulder. One is the boston and the other is the picnic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                    Don't mind him. He just knows everything.
                    Yeah, you're right, he should totally just embarrass himself in front of who knows how many people whilst smoking when he doesn't know what he's talking about. Excuse me for trying to give him some information, Mr. Nevermakesamistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                      Yeah, you're right, he should totally just embarrass himself in front of who knows how many people whilst smoking when he doesn't know what he's talking about. Excuse me for trying to give him some information, Mr. Nevermakesamistake.

It's always easy to point out others mistakes for you. Its like a hobby for you, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                        Still all shoulder. One is the boston and the other is the picnic.

While you are technically correct, it is also subjective. The Butt is generalized to be the off the bone cut, rather than on the bone, as is referred to as the shoulder. While they are both the shoulder, and both technically the butt, common use has a differentiation to make a distinction in cuts.

Comment

While you are technically correct, it is also subjective. The Butt is generalized to be the off the bone cut, rather than on the bone,
                          False. It's not subjective, and it's not generalized to mean an "off the bone" cut. I've smoked 300+, and every boston butt I've ever bought has had the bone in. In fact, that's how you know when it's done. When you pull the bone, it should pull clean. It's also why some stores packaging says "Blade Roast (Boston Butt)". Personally, I wouldn't buy a boneless butt. The bone adds flavor.

Lone Sailor is correct. The shoulder consists of two parts. The boston butt (top portion of shoulder), and the picnic (lower shoulder). It has absolutely nothing to do with whether it is bone in or bone out.

Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post

Lone Sailor is correct. The shoulder consists of two parts. The boston butt (top portion of shoulder), and the picnic (lower shoulder). It has absolutely nothing to do with whether it is bone in or bone out.
                            So to clarify, the picnic would (in general) be refered to as a shoulder and the top part be refered to as a butt.

We cooked a sholder and a (bone out) butt.

Comment

So to clarify, the picnic would (in general) be refered to as a shoulder and the top part be refered to as a butt.

We cooked a sholder and a (bone out) butt.

I've only seen a picnic referred to as a picnic, personally

Boston butt can be called Boston butt, boston roast, blade roast, boston shoulder, etc.

I won't say some places don't label the picnic as shoulder, however, every time I've seen it labeled as a shoulder, it is the whole shoulder. Meaning, the picnic and the butt, all one piece. Some people like to smoke those whole.
                              Originally posted by BradM
                              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                                I've only seen a picnic referred to as a picnic, personally

Boston butt can be called Boston butt, boston roast, blade roast, boston shoulder, etc.

I won't say some places don't label the picnic as shoulder, however, every time I've seen it labeled as a shoulder, it is the whole shoulder. Meaning, the picnic and the butt, all one piece. Some people like to smoke those whole.
                                Then we can throw the cushion into the mix and make it all confusing.

Comment

Working...
                                X