Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any fully synthetic

Comment

I was too lazy to learn all about oils, so I just followed the "cliff notes" over at Bobistheoilguy. They say the top 3 by rank are Redline, AmsOil, and Royal Purple. Royal purple being the 3rd but it's also cheaper. Top 3 meaning least engine wear over long service life. 300k miles or more. When it comes to oils they don't seem to have a very high opinion of the rest, saying most of the others are scams in some way or another. Sounds about right, so after looking Royal Purple a bit I settled on that. It's cheaper than the other 2. So that's what I run in anything that needs oil. Transmissions, rear ends, engines, etc.
      WH

Comment

Mobil 1 or Royal Purple in the daily drivers and Valvoline racing synthetic in all the go-fast stuff. For gear oil I typically use Amsoil.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I've had mechanics I trust tell me to avoid Royal Purple products. I have no personal experience with them.

I run Mobil 1 in the Expedition and Rotella T6 + Rev-X in the Super Duty.

I've since learned that Amsoil or Schaffer's is supposed to be the bees knees for the 6.0, but I've had such great luck with the T6 and Rev-X combo, that I'm reluctant to switch.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
            I've had mechanics I trust tell me to avoid Royal Purple products. I have no personal experience with them.
            I’ve never used RP oil in a vehicle, but I can say they make a fantastic 2stroke oil.. Smells kinda like fried chicken too!! I’ve been through a few quarts of it without any mechanical failure
            "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
              I have a friend that was a mechanic at a Ford dealership in Lewisville say the same thing. I have no experience with it either.

Comment

I had a 2001 Ford Ranger 2.5, I bought new. I used Walmart Dino 10-30W oil & Walmart filters from day one. I sold that truck about a year ago, with 250K miles. It never burned oil & only started leak a few drops in its 16th year. I use full synthetic oil only if the manufacturer requires it.

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
                  I had a 2001 Ford Ranger 2.5, I bought new. I used Walmart Dino 10-30W oil & Walmart filters from day one. I sold that truck about a year ago, with 250K miles. It never burned oil & only started leak a few drops in its 16th year. I use full synthetic oil only if the manufacturer requires it.
                  I have no beef with super tech oil and I’ve had great luck with it.. super tech, Mobil1 and amazon basics all come from warren distribution and all have very similar additive packs.
                  "PSH!!!"

Comment

I'm not too loyal to brand, just pick which quality brand is cheaper this week and go. The daily driver Honda's get either Valvoline, Mobil 1, Castrol, or something similar in 0-20 synthetic with a Bosch filter. The old F150 gets Castrol or Valvoline dino oil.

I've had multiple cars with 300,000 miles on them and never had an oil related engine failure. Interesting to hear about the Penzoil Platinum. I may add it to the rotation.
                    Last edited by slow84lx; 12-17-2019, 07:27 PM.

Comment

amsoil.

Comment

I have heard some engine builders say some good stuff about that Ultra Platinum since it is made from natural gas. I have yet to try it. I use Mobil 1 and Rotella T6 religiously in all my vehicles. My new race engine has rockers that specifically mandate a high zinc motor oil so I'm going to go with the Valvoline Racing Oil for that.
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Too many YouTube tests placing Wally World SuperTech on par and even above name brand shit. For $15 you get 5 quarts of synthetic and I haven’t had issues.
                          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                          dont downshift!!
                          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                            I have heard some engine builders say some good stuff about that Ultra Platinum since it is made from natural gas. I have yet to try it. I use Mobil 1 and Rotella T6 religiously in all my vehicles. My new race engine has rockers that specifically mandate a high zinc motor oil so I'm going to go with the Valvoline Racing Oil for that.
                            Just looked and amazon has the ultra platinum on sale cheaper than you can buy regular platinum at Walmart. I bought 2

"PSH!!!"

Comment

I started using the "DRIVEN" brand in the hotrod. I like it. Truck gets whatever the Ford dealer puts down the hole..

Comment

motorcraft in the f150, motorex or belray in the husky.

Comment

Working...
                                X