Let's discuss college degrees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
    They have set up a system that isolates them from extinction - somewhat.
    My take is that it's not going to work. Because you'll always have the right to represent yourself. The AGI is better at being a lawyer than any human could be. I can imagine just representing yourself, while wearing a bluetooth earpiece. Instant super lawyer. Sounds like sci fi but as we all know they're hard at work on this.
    WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
      My take is that it's not going to work. Because you'll always have the right to represent yourself. The AGI is better at being a lawyer than any human could be. I can imagine just representing yourself, while wearing a bluetooth earpiece. Instant super lawyer. Sounds like sci fi but as we all know they're hard at work on this.
      He who represents himself has a fool for a client.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
        He who represents himself has a fool for a client.
        When I was young and stupid enough to do so, I represented myself in a custody case. I would never, ever, ever do that again, nor would I recommend. I got fucking lucky, simple as that. That could have ended very, very badly for me.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

But Matt Damon in good will hunting did it!
          "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            But Matt Damon in good will hunting did it!
            My boys wicked smaht!

Comment

BS in Theoretical Physics

I build new houses for a living and bounce from side hustle to side hustle.

If I were going back for any kind of degree, as much as I would love to finish my engineering degree, I would most likely go the business route. I feel it offers the widest array of possibilities that can build on just about any background that you already have, or can take you into a field you want to break into.
              Originally posted by Leah
              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

There's about to not be very many attorneys. 10 years from now, it looks like only the top 1% of attorneys in the world will be needed. Employment for them will take a hard nosedive over the next decade. Gonna be the same way for doctors too. And truckers. And a lot of other jobs.
                Doctors? That’s ridiculous. Please tell me where you’re getting that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                  Doctors? That’s ridiculous. Please tell me where you’re getting that idea.
                  Pretty sure he had a long thread a year or two ago about this same theory. Something about there are some computers that have performed flawless surgeries. I don't think it'll happen...

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                    Pretty sure he had a long thread a year or two ago about this same theory. Something about there are some computers that have performed flawless surgeries. I don't think it'll happen...
                    iirc we were talking about jobs being phased out by automation or something."The robots are coming" and whatnot. Artificial General Intelligence is expected to exist somewhere around the end of the coming decade. So when that happens, there's going to be less doctors in the world. At least in the western world. Along with a lot of other professions are going to decline as well.

All you really have to consider, is that an inexpensive computer can hold all of the medical knowledge that mankind has. Pair that with an AGI and you have a super doctor. That you can make a billion copies of.

Is it going to pat you on the shoulder and say "There there, it'll be alright"? Probably not, but it'll tell you what's wrong with you with little (if any) error and it'll cut out all those 10's of thousands of yearly patient deaths due to malpractice. Just like self driving cars would cut out a shitload of deaths.
                    WH

Comment

iirc we were talking about jobs being phased out by automation or something."The robots are coming" and whatnot. Artificial General Intelligence is expected to exist somewhere around the end of the coming decade. So when that happens, there's going to be less doctors in the world. At least in the western world. Along with a lot of other professions are going to decline as well.

All you really have to consider, is that an inexpensive computer can hold all of the medical knowledge that mankind has. Pair that with an AGI and you have a super doctor. That you can make a billion copies of.

Is it going to pat you on the shoulder and say "There there, it'll be alright"? Probably not, but it'll tell you what's wrong with you with little (if any) error and it'll cut out all those 10's of thousands of yearly patient deaths due to malpractice. Just like self driving cars would cut out a shitload of deaths.
                      You’re out of your mind. Even if something like this happens eventually, it definitely won’t be in the next 10 years.

Comment

You’re out of your mind.
                        you could have just stopped there

Comment

Since OP's gotten a ton of answers I feel free to hijack.
                          Anyone gone back for another STEM degree after not doing higher math and other shitty things for 10+ years? I'm kicking around the idea of a MS Chemical Engineering or MS Chemistry (organic, directed toward renewable fuels and plastics), but I fucking hated calculus the first time around. Should I just satisfy myself with some MOOCs or the University of Youtube?

Comment

You’re out of your mind. Even if something like this happens eventually, it definitely won’t be in the next 10 years.
                            The only people that think AI will take over are people that dont work with AI...

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                              Since OP's gotten a ton of answers I feel free to hijack.
                              Anyone gone back for another STEM degree after not doing higher math and other shitty things for 10+ years? I'm kicking around the idea of a MS Chemical Engineering or MS Chemistry (organic, directed toward renewable fuels and plastics), but I fucking hated calculus the first time around. Should I just satisfy myself with some MOOCs or the University of Youtube?
                              Fuck that...ESPECIALLY chemistry. While a masters is generally easier than an undergrad...chemistry is just really different and complex.

What is your target job after this?

Comment

I figured I would throw my college experience in here...I thought college for me at least was a waste of money (Undergrad only). I never went on my intended career path as my degree was set for. I took a different path but it ended up being a nice fit and paid off. I know there's a great argument on experience vs. education. For me, experience paid off. Education was just a piece of paper, but in my industry (Oil & Gas) not a necessity. I had that BS Degree, but when I graduated jobs were very hard to find unless you had a Masters or experience/internship. I worked my ass off in the field and worked my way up from under rigs, to sales, and now work for O&G company as a buyer. Trade schools are great and especially for my industry can open many doors. The only downside is my industry is very demanding and expect to work 365/24/7 in your first years.

Comment

Working...
                                X