Gas resistant thread sealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas resistant thread sealer

What's the best thread sealer for AN and NPT fittings for a gas line? I bought high temp thread sealant by Permatex, but was wondering if it's any good or if there is something better out there. I don't want to do this again due to a thread sealer dissolving and causing leaks.

Originally posted by slostang281 View Post
    What's the best thread sealer for AN and NPT fittings for a gas line? I bought high temp thread sealant by Permatex, but was wondering if it's any good or if there is something better out there. I don't want to do this again due to a thread sealer dissolving and causing leaks.
    No sealant on AN fittings, I've used teflon tape on NPT fuel fittings without incident but I'm sure most would advice aganst this as you introduce the possibility of clogging an injector with a little piece of it.

Comment

I forgot to mention I used teflon tape on the NPT and was told not to use anything on the AN fittings so I didn't, but they all have a nice drip. There is 3 fuel filters from the last fitting to the carb at the moment so I am not too concerned about getting trash in the carb right now.

Comment

I forgot to mention I used teflon tape on the NPT and was told not to use anything on the AN fittings so I didn't, but they all have a nice drip.
        exactly. Fuck what everyone says on not using teflon on AN fittings, that shit will leak. They make a teflon tape that is able to be used with something that has fuel going through it. It's the tape witht he red spool.
        Vortex rear stand $75
        8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
        My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
        but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
        11 4 door
        13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

What the hell are you guys doing to AN fittings so they leak? Every single piece of plumping in my car is equipped with an AN fitting, and not a single one of 'em leaks. You're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
            exactly. Fuck what everyone says on not using teflon on AN fittings, that shit will leak. They make a teflon tape that is able to be used with something that has fuel going through it. It's the tape witht he red spool.
            Never seen the teflon with the red spool, I used the yellow spool tape and it dissolved as soon as I turned the pump on. Thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
            What the hell are you guys doing to AN fittings so they leak? Every single piece of plumping in my car is equipped with an AN fitting, and not a single one of 'em leaks. You're doing it wrong.
            How tight are you getting them? I had them snug and then kept tightening them more each time until I was afraid of stripping the aluminum threads. This is my first time on these type of fittings and I already don't like them other than they look cool.

Comment

Never seen the teflon with the red spool, I used the yellow spool tape and it dissolved as soon as I turned the pump on. Thanks for the tip.

How tight are you getting them? I had them snug and then kept tightening them more each time until I was afraid of stripping the aluminum threads. This is my first time on these type of fittings and I already don't like them other than they look cool.
              No prob. Generally speaking, people say they do not use teflon tape on AN fittings, but I've never had any good luck with them so I always teflon them and never had any problems with leaks or trash getting in the system. I'm very careful though to make sure I wrap it the same direction as the threads and dont use a shitload of it.
              Vortex rear stand $75
              8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
              My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
              but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
              11 4 door
              13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

All my AN fittings seal with no sealant. I had a -12 on my cell that kept leaking but ended up replacing it with a nicer (read: more expensive one), and it solved it. Don't over tighten them as that can mess them up.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                  All my AN fittings seal with no sealant. I had a -12 on my cell that kept leaking but ended up replacing it with a nicer (read: more expensive one), and it solved it. Don't over tighten them as that can mess them up.
                  Word. Teflon is a no-no around fuel too. Same for the blue gasket maker I believe. I think red is fuel resistant.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                    x2313423
                    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

I don't know exact torque numbers, but I just get 'em tight like I would most any other bolt. What brand are you using? If it's a cheap knock off brand that could be your problem, go with a good well established/known brand. Not a house brand. Also, on the ones you say are NPT, see if you can run an ORB fitting in there instead. I never have liked pipe thread and I use ORB on everything that will accept one.

Comment

Mine were the Earl brand, I don't think they would be a cheap knock off being $10 a piece but no other brand had all the sizes I needed. Only two were actual AN and the other four were NPT or metric bullshit. I used the thread sealer mentioned in my first post since I couldn't leave the house today (sick kid) and it worked like a champ for now.

Comment

Earl's is a well known brand. So are they leaking at the AN joint, or the NPT joint?

Comment

Both. The only one that didn't leak was one metric fitting going into the stock fuel line fitting.

Comment

Tighten them up some more then. You *shouldn't* need any kind of sealer on the threads.

Comment

Working...
                              X