Kind of a cool story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kind of a cool story

So I guess everyone gets these anonymous friend request on Facebook, and I am no exception. I get on one night and see a friend request from a guy named Ed Garlits. I'll look at mutual friends and we have none, he's in Florida, no connection so I ignore it. A week later I get back on and see another friend request, accept it and then go back and see his still there and see that he is involved in racing up in Florida. I go ahead and accept the friend request and it turns out that he is the son of Don Garlits, yes Big Daddy Don Garlits.

I sent him a message saying thanks for the invite and told him that I was always huge fan of big daddy I remember seeing him race back in the day. . Writes me back tells me that we have something in common. This is where the story gets even cooler.

He mentions having a 69 Mustang and asked if I had one in the past. I said yes and told him a little bit about it and that I sold the car to a guy that was in the Air Force up in The Dakotas working missile silo's. Ed writes me back starts describing my car exactly down to the mini tub, shock tower reinforcement, cage, wheels etc. Even mentions the Jerico transmission that has my name on it. Turns out he has my old car.

I had that car for many many years and it was extremely difficult selling it, and asked the guy who purchased it if he would keep me informed on the build. Never heard back from him. I'm so grateful Ed was able to reach out through Facebook and let me know that he has this car, especially knowing who his father is.

This is the car

David

Cool......

Comment

Kind of cool? That's extremely bad ass.

Comment

Somewhere my name sake is floating around and I'd like to buy it back.

Comment

Kobuzz will get a kick out of the story. He's spent many a night wrenching on this car with me and another buddy.

David

Comment

That's fucking cool.

Comment

Badass! It is a good feeling to see one of your old cars still going.

Comment

Super cool man! The internet sure does make the world a smaller place.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                  Kind of cool? That's extremely bad ass.
                  I'm with the Cougar guy.

Super cool story. Pretty sure my old car got unceremoniously peddled to Oklahoma by ass monkey garage.

Comment

^ LOL. If its in Oklahoma there is a chance it has been painted Sooner Red or OSU orange and black.

The guy I got my car from in 95 moved to Lake Worth a while back, one of these days I'm going to meet up with him again. He sold that car to me to help pay for his next build, a 67 Cougar with a 460. That car was super nice, until a garage fire took it from him.

Comment

Bad ass

Comment

I saw that exchange on fb earlier. That's beyond awesome!
                        When I was in FL (7 years), I'd think it safe to say the Don and I were friends, or at least acquaintances. We hung out on a number of occasions, at Gainesville, at his place in Ocala, and we even dragged him up to Jacksonville once for a Dakota R/T club meet (he was also a member of the club).
                        Again, so very cool that his boy has your old 'stang, and went to the trouble to look you up. That truly is a car family.
                        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Great story.

Comment

Cool story, I can somewhat relate, about six months ago I bought a 1994 Cobra and come to find out it was owned by an engineer at Roush and he put the last remaining 1995 Cobra R engine and transmission in the car along with one of the prototype ECUs from the R development program and a Cobra R prototype hood that has a taller cowl than the others produced by Ford. I had no idea about any of this when I bought the car, one of the prior owners just started emailing me out of the blue about it. Mustang Monthly did a story about the car ten years ago.
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                              I'm with the Cougar guy.

Super cool story. Pretty sure my old car got unceremoniously peddled to Oklahoma by ass monkey garage.

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                              I saw that exchange on fb earlier. That's beyond awesome!
                              When I was in FL (7 years), I'd think it safe to say the Don and I were friends, or at least acquaintances. We hung out on a number of occasions, at Gainesville, at his place in Ocala, and we even dragged him up to Jacksonville once for a Dakota R/T club meet (he was also a member of the club).
                              Again, so very cool that his boy has your old 'stang, and went to the trouble to look you up. That truly is a car family.
                              Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                              Cool story, I can somewhat relate, about six months ago I bought a 1994 Cobra and come to find out it was owned by an engineer at Roush and he put the last remaining 1995 Cobra R engine and transmission in the car along with one of the prototype ECUs from the R development program and a Cobra R prototype hood that has a taller cowl than the others produced by Ford. I had no idea about any of this when I bought the car, one of the prior owners just started emailing me out of the blue about it. Mustang Monthly did a story about the car ten years ago.
                              Bunch of great stories amongst our crew, I'm sure .
                              Anyone feel free to post up in this thread if you have one you'd like to share.

Scott, yours is top shelf man!

David

Comment

Working...
                              X