No announcement yet.

Suggestions on water tight containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing that may help, that I plan to do this year, is to cut a sheet of reflectix to fit over the contents, inside the cooler. Just adding another layer of insulation up near the top, where most of the cold is lost.

If you're not familiar, it's the bubble wrap radiant barrier stuff.. This:

I already use it for some other stuff (coozies and as a sit-pad) and it works pretty good.

Comment

Pretty much what you guys are suggesting is what I have already been doing for the past several years except for the draining of water once ice melts.

Initially I won't drain ice water from my cooler as it's still really cold (got that idea from the article below and it made sense to me). Once the cooler is more water than ice and/or the water has gotten past the cold phase and is warming up I'll dump it out then.

Here's a good article that taught me a lot and what I follow now using a mixture of dry ice and frozen water bottles when I can.

I'll have to look into that Craig but my coolers are pretty thick already although the lids would be the weak spot. My cousin home built his own "Yeti" and this would really work great for him when he redoes it.

Anyway, I'm pretty much settled on the containers I'm going to buy and try in a couple of weeks when I go camping.

Comment

Ya man, those are just suggestions if you did not know about them. Sounds like you're pretty much backed into using sealed containers for food and ice or one or the other.

Out of curiosity, what food specifically is getting soggy on you that you do not like getting soggy?

Reason I ask, is a lot of campers/hikers will dehydrate their meals and then reconstitute it in the field and warm it that way. Then it can be in vacuum sealed..etc.

A lot of times I'll can some meals when camping (chili as an example) or just buy canned foods. Then it can be in the cooler or just in a pack.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

We have these in multiple sizes: https://www.amazon.com/STERILITE-301...e+food+storage

We use them obviously in the fridge at home but we pack stuff in them for baseball on the weekends. I've never had one take on water in the cooler even if I pile stuff on top of it forcing it underwater. We've been using them for years and have bought multiple add-on pieces/sizes. The only thing that has ever been a problem is the vent piece on top will eventually wear out where it bends if you keep opening it. They work great.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
            Ya man, those are just suggestions if you did not know about them. Sounds like you're pretty much backed into using sealed containers for food and ice or one or the other.

Out of curiosity, what food specifically is getting soggy on you that you do not like getting soggy?

Reason I ask, is a lot of campers/hikers will dehydrate their meals and then reconstitute it in the field and warm it that way. Then it can be in vacuum sealed..etc.

A lot of times I'll can some meals when camping (chili as an example) or just buy canned foods. Then it can be in the cooler or just in a pack.
            Ya I just prefer to use sealed containers over zip lock bags even though they are bulkier. What I normally have problems with is meat like fajitas, chicken, fish, or burgers. My old Tupperware lids have gotten warped over the years and don't seal that good or are very hard to seal. I try to keep it on top of the ice but invariably it'll get dunked in the ice as it melts or a move stuff around and can get water logged.

Ya I have a dehydrater and a vacuum sealer that I use. I've done chilli mac, chicken, different kinds of jerky (fajita jerky is the bomb!!!) and I'll vacuum seal some stuff like vegetables to last longer when going on week long camping trips to keep them fresher.

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
            We have these in multiple sizes: https://www.amazon.com/STERILITE-301...e+food+storage

We use them obviously in the fridge at home but we pack stuff in them for baseball on the weekends. I've never had one take on water in the cooler even if I pile stuff on top of it forcing it underwater. We've been using them for years and have bought multiple add-on pieces/sizes. The only thing that has ever been a problem is the vent piece on top will eventually wear out where it bends if you keep opening it. They work great.
            Might be a little small for what I was initally looking for but maybe can use them for planned single serving meals or salads. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
              Might be a little small for what I was initally looking for but maybe can use them for planned single serving meals or salads. Thanks!
              That was just a link to the set. They have all different sizes. The colors correspond to the shapes. The blue ones are square, green small rectangle, etc... There are some that are huge. Most of the ones in the colors have multiple sizes (depths). The purple ones are round, probably 5 inch outer diameter. The smallest one is a few inches deep and holds a bowl of soup for example. They make the same shape but 8 or 10 inches deep (or something similar). Hope that makes sense. We will make sandwiches and throw them in the cooler individually or 2 per container on the weekends or pack one full of dry goods.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                That was just a link to the set. They have all different sizes. The colors correspond to the shapes. The blue ones are square, green small rectangle, etc... There are some that are huge. Most of the ones in the colors have multiple sizes (depths). The purple ones are round, probably 5 inch outer diameter. The smallest one is a few inches deep and holds a bowl of soup for example. They make the same shape but 8 or 10 inches deep (or something similar). Hope that makes sense. We will make sandwiches and throw them in the cooler individually or 2 per container on the weekends or pack one full of dry goods.
                Cool! Sorry I didn't bother to look into it further but I will now.

Comment

I will say I saw these on a cooler review and am thinking about them. They say there is some condensation, but it's not terrible. 3 types supposedly for 3 different purposes. I'm going to try out 5lb just for the purpose of testing and then a smaller one for my travel beer cooler.

Comment

I will say I saw these on a cooler review and am thinking about them. They say there is some condensation, but it's not terrible. 3 types supposedly for 3 different purposes. I'm going to try out 5lb just for the purpose of testing and then a smaller one for my travel beer cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Ice-Al...kan&th=1&psc=1
                    I wonder how they compare to the other products out there from Yeti, Coleman, etc.

Comment

I wonder how they compare to the other products out there from Yeti, Coleman, etc.
                      Good question, when I have more time I may look into it. I ran across it during a RTIC lunch box (got some food poisoning recently, so turned P and am packing lunches now)....that dude seemed happy about it.

The recommend buying the same amount you would in ice. So if you buy 10 lbs of ice, but 2 5 lbs versions. I think I usually do around 20-30 lbs,

Only hold up I had was for the fish cooler, but I usually just fill it up with water and clorox after a trip and let that do the work for a week - these seem pretty solid.

It looks like a better use of space than my PVC pipes too.

Comment

Good question, when I have more time I may look into it. I ran across it during a RTIC lunch box (got some food poisoning recently, so turned P and am packing lunches now)....that dude seemed happy about it.

The recommend buying the same amount you would in ice. So if you buy 10 lbs of ice, but 2 5 lbs versions. I think I usually do around 20-30 lbs,

Only hold up I had was for the fish cooler, but I usually just fill it up with water and clorox after a trip and let that do the work for a week - these seem pretty solid.

It looks like a better use of space than my PVC pipes too.
                        Only downside is that on a long trip I wouldn't be able to refreeze them after they have melted.

Comment

I get 3-5 of those frozen gel packs every 90 days when get insulin. I've given them to everyone I know, but if someone on here wants some, I'll probably have more in a week or two. The usually also come with a generic cooler.
                          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                          86 SVO - Sold
                          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                            I get 3-5 of those frozen gel packs every 90 days when get insulin. I've given them to everyone I know, but if someone on here wants some, I'll probably have more in a week or two. The usually also come with a generic cooler.
                            I would be interested but I'm guessing you are probably to far from me to make it worthwhile

Comment

I would be interested but I'm guessing you are probably to far from me to make it worthwhile
                              I'm in Haslet, a few miles north of Keith's.
                              sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                              17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                              13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                              86 SVO - Sold
                              '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                              01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                              65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X