Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enjoy your manual control cars. The car world is changing fast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
    You could prevent any hacking by not having any connection other than hardwire. No wifi capability, you gotta plug in a cable to make any changes. I like the idea of no wifi, because that means no updating the company all the time on stuff that ain't none of their business. The car could have cameras on the inside, and the outside, which would tell you exactly when the person was shot and maybe who shot them, if they weren't wearing a mask. It could also have bio sensors and just stop and call an ambulance.

None of that is any real problem. They can all talk to each other and coordinate, its all down to programming. Which may take em a time or two to get right, sure. But eventually they'll run out of variables they didn't plan for and you'll be hard pressed to find a problem with the self driving cars.

Instead of the cluster fuck that would be with 40 people driving them, it could all look beautifully choreographed.
    I was talking about the operating system that dispatches the cars and bills the customers. Imagine a denial-of-service attack in every major city right at the start of morning Rush Hour.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I can see it happening in the not so near future. Earlier this year the wife and I went to Vegas. She wanted to get a rental but I convinced her that we use Uber. It was my first time to use Uber and we both thought it was very convenient to have a car waiting for us anytime we needed. No more looking for parking or dealing with paid parking lots, then walking to our destination.

As mentioned earlier, I can see this being accepted more in big cities though

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
        I can see it happening in the not so near future. Earlier this year the wife and I went to Vegas. She wanted to get a rental but I convinced her that we use Uber. It was my first time to use Uber and we both thought it was very convenient to have a car waiting for us anytime we needed. No more looking for parking or dealing with paid parking lots, then walking to our destination.

As mentioned earlier, I can see this being accepted more in big cities though
        Lyft has been using self driving cars in Las Vegas since January. They have a fleet of 70 or so BMW 5 series cars with a big Aptiv logo on the side and I think it's actually a free ride if you get one. There is an operator in the driver's seat still though.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
          Why would we need autonomous cars when the same technology will work on a moped or even an electric bike?

Check out Ford's patent #20180111540 on what they think the future might be.
          Who wants to ride a bike in the rain or snow!

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
            Lyft has been using self driving cars in Las Vegas since January. They have a fleet of 70 or so BMW 5 series cars with a big Aptiv logo on the side and I think it's actually a free ride if you get one. There is an operator in the driver's seat still though.
            Uber has been using the autonomous Volvo XC90s here in Pittsburgh for awhile now, maybe a couple of years. I think we were part of the pilot program. We use Uber a lot but have found the quality has gone way downhill. Most of the drivers lately don’t even know how to get anywhere or don’t speak any English. You are basically telling them where to go. We might try Lyft next.

Comment

This is exactly why we need autonomous cars

If the autonomy were just a little better this bad boy would be taking him straight home! I do wonder what departments will do about the lost DUI revenue though...

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                I was talking about the operating system that dispatches the cars and bills the customers. Imagine a denial-of-service attack in every major city right at the start of morning Rush Hour.
                I'm not saying that people won't build shit that way. They've proven over and over again that they will, and then yeah they get hacked. But you don't have to. You can have the control system not connected to the internet in any way. Its not necessary. There would be some minor inconvenience for the employees of the taxi company, sure. Course that's what they're paid for.

It will kill driver jobs but you'll still need mechanics and office people to some degree. Electric cars may break less and need less maintenance but they still break and they still need maintenance. Tires still wear out, suspension still wears out, the motors do finally die, interiors get old and shitty, on and on.

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                I do wonder what departments will do about the lost DUI revenue though...
                They'll probably follow the cars leaving the bar, in the hopes that one of them will tell the car to stop so they can get out and take a piss, or get something to eat, whatever. Then they'll harass them and arrest them for public intoxication.
                Last edited by Gasser64; 12-01-2018, 08:04 PM.
                WH

Comment

Working...
                X