Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
    Goiter and lack of iodine?
    YES! That's what I was thinking of. And if I recall correctly, that is why they started adding iodine to salt.

Yack:

Comment

I've only known two people who have had it and both didn't drink water. One guy only drank beer and sodas and the other only drank coke a cola, he was a freak about it to. His entire shop was coke signs, machines, etc. He would not drink a drop of water, swore up and down that "they" were putting shit in the water.
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by 94form2000z View Post
        My uncle has suffered from that for as long as I've known. Sounds painful and he manages to push through as far as work goes but has skipped a lot of family functions over the years.
        He drinks like a fish though, always has a Miller Light in his hand and in the ice chest with him when around so I guess he's not doing himself any favors regarding it.
        Good luck with it.
        Your uncles name doesn't happen to be Smitty does it? And works at FedEx Freight?

Comment

Gout is a form of arthritis that has to do with your kidneys lack of ability to clean uric acid the bi-product of purines, which are proteins in many common delicious food.

I've been dealing with Gout for about 12 years now, my dad has it, my gfather had it.

I'm supposed to take allopurinol daily but I mostly just take indomethacin upon flare ups.

I can drink Bud Light (insert shitty beer joke) all day and not have problems, but any dark beers or micro brews mess me up pretty good.

I mostly each chicken and other than that order vegetarian. It's made me a damn good cook at chicken, and forced me to open my mind and adopt a partial vegetarian diet.

Gout started in my ankle, then big toe, then to the outside blade of my foot.

Depending on what I eat, I will be affected differently. My buddy made a shitload of king crab one time early this year and I had it in my HAND for the first time. It was wild.

Drink lots of water, avoid trigger foods (high purine content) http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...t/art-20048524 and it is best to take a daily like allipurinol to keep it at bay.

...and get used to it because it will not go away. ever.
          WRX

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
            I know you want seconds, but there's no need to shout.
            Underrated post.

Comment

I had german sausage on monday and deviated away from my normal diet of chicken and lots of veggies. Back to chicken asap and lots of water to go with my meds.

Miserable fucking disease. When I get flare ups in my knees it cripples me for days. Just never ending pain.

Comment

Originally posted by turboford View Post
                I had german sausage on monday and deviated away from my normal diet of chicken and lots of veggies. Back to chicken asap and lots of water to go with my meds.

Miserable fucking disease. When I get flare ups in my knees it cripples me for days. Just never ending pain.
                My dads knee will swell up like a cantaloupe, but he drinks Coors Light all day and eats red meat at least once a day. Just keeps popping those indo's.
                WRX

Comment

Does exercise break that shit up?
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

No. Just hurts worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                      Does exercise break that shit up?
                      When gout is actively causing inflammation in a joint (arthritis), all efforts should be directed toward eradicating the inflammation. This generally means resting the joint, ice/cold applications, and anti-inflammatory medications.
                      Exercising a joint that is already inflamed can prolong the inflammation and cause more pain.Gently moving the joint through its range of motion can sometimes prevent stiffness.

After the inflammation of the joint has quieted down, gradual exercise is often encouraged to re-establish strength and movement of the muscles around the joint.

Exercise has no benefit or effect on breaking up tiny crystals of gout (monosodium urate crystals) in the joints.These tiny (microscopic)crystals are only as long as a white blood cell is wide. They dissolve (disappear) and form according to the body's metabolism (processing of substances), state of hydration (amount of water),and in response to medications that influence the uric acid level in the blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                        He would not drink a drop of water, swore up and down that "they" were putting shit in the water.

Comment

If the crystals in the joint are big enough they can cut and wear down the cartilage in joint causing even more pain. My dad doesn't have much cartilage in his big toes anymore. His flare ups usually put him in the recliner for a few days.

I've found that heating pad works best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                            Your uncles name doesn't happen to be Smitty does it? And works at FedEx Freight?
                            No its David and he works with dirt. Backhoes, bulldozers, etc.

Comment

8mg decadron IM with 60mg Toradol IM and colchicine 1.2mg are my go to drugs for people with gouty flares.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                                8mg decadron IM with 60mg Toradol IM and colchicine 1.2mg are my go to drugs for people with gouty flares.
                                Do you get people in the ER for this?

Comment

Working...
                                X