No announcement yet.

Fricken modern medicine, amazing what they've come up with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was reading the link you posted and at first was thinking, this is cool I may have to try it. But then after reading the side affects....fuck that! I've dealt with these abnormal heart beats or at least the feel like my heart is about to stop and they scare the shizzle out of me.

Side effects

Possible complications and side effects include:
    allergic reaction to the dye
    abnormal heart rhythms, or arrhythmias
    fall in blood pressure during or after exercise, possibly leading to dizziness or faintness
    chest pain
    nausea
    trembling
    headache
    flushing
    shortness of breath
    anxiety
    In 2013, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned that two drugs used in these tests, Lexiscan and Adenoscan, could increase the risk of heart problems during the test.
    The drugs could cause blood to flow more effectively to unobstructed areas, leaving problem areas without blood. In rare cases, this could lead to a heart attack.
    Anyone who has unstable angina or other cardiac instability may not be a suitable candidate to receive these drugs.

Comment

I don't have any heart issues, so I hope it does not have any of those side effects. After this test is done, I get another EKG and more blood work it looks like, in a different office. That should wrap up all tests for me finally!

Comment

That's great news Rob, hopefully everything goes according to plan...
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
          I was reading the link you posted and at first was thinking, this is cool I may have to try it. But then after reading the side affects....fuck that! I've dealt with these abnormal heart beats or at least the feel like my heart is about to stop and they scare the shizzle out of me.

Side effects

fall in blood pressure during or after exercise, possibly leading to dizziness or faintness
          chest pain
          nausea
          trembling
          headache
          flushing
          shortness of breath
          anxiety
          In 2013, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned that two drugs used in these tests, Lexiscan and Adenoscan, could increase the risk of heart problems during the test.
          The drugs could cause blood to flow more effectively to unobstructed areas, leaving problem areas without blood. In rare cases, this could lead to a heart attack.
          Anyone who has unstable angina or other cardiac instability may not be a suitable candidate to receive these drugs.
          Allow me to disabuse you of your fear and anxiety regarding the side effects. I've had a Lexiscan chemical stress test.

1. If complications arise, they have to ability to abort the test almost immediately.

2. When the test is complete. They will provide you (or recommend that you bring) a caffeinated cola (e.g., Coke, Dr. Pepper) to drink following the test. Caffeine deactivates the Lexiscan. Symptoms; They are not typically severe. Rarely, do people have problems with this test. Possible yes, probable no.

At least this was the experience I had with my Cardiologist.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post

Side effects

chest pain
            nausea
            trembling
            headache
            flushing
            shortness of breath
            anxiety
            Heart palpitations, skips or missed beats are just a normal day for me. I have had heart palpitations for over a decade now. So severe that my heart sometimes won't catch a solid beat for minutes to hours. Usually it's minutes but I have had it last over an hour, my wife just monitors me when they get real bad and knows when I need to go the hospital. Went to the doctor 15 years ago about it because I almost passed out while driving because it wouldn't catch a solid beat. When it happens you can feel it and it is weird. Doctor told me to quit drinking caffine, I did still happens so fuck it. One day I suspect I will get a pacemaker to solve the issue but since I'm 38 it's not on my to do list right now.

Comment

the advances in medicine are worlds better now than something like 15 years ago in terms of diagnosis, scar tissue, and recovery time. Its pretty astounding

Comment

Thank you, BCOOP!!!

Well, after a shit load of testing, waiting, and more testing this entire year, we are nearing the end. Should get official results Friday if it stays on track.

First., I'd like to make a shout out to BCOOP, he did something so unselfish and amazing, I can't even put thanks into words. I'm in need of a kidney, and Brent signed up to be a donor. Brent, Thank You!!!

My sister was eliminated first after a slew of tests, then my middle niece (brothers kid) was next up. As of yesterday all looks good to be the donor, just need confirmation on her CT scan, but Dr's feel it should not be an issue.

I may have 1 more test to do next week (TB, I am not testing neg or positive for it, so I've likely been exposed to it somehow), but should get the board of Dr's approval soon, then we can basically schedule the transplant any Tuesday or Thursday we want.

All in all, I had 9 willing donors sign up. 4 relatives, Brent and 4 others I do not even know. Lyn's friend works at a local hospital, and 4 co-workers signed up, 2 are surgeons even!

I'm not on dialysis yet, so getting a transplant before that seems to help it last longer. Got lucky, really lucky!

Comment

I'm just elated things are working out for you buddy. We're going to need you to stick around for a little while longer.

No thanks necessary. I didn't do anything that you or Lyn wouldn't have done for someone else in need. Again, I'm so grateful things are looking up, and that it appears to be coming to a close. I can't imagine what you guys have been through the last year. That's a tough pill to swallow.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    I'm just elated things are working out for you buddy. We're going to need you to stick around for a little while longer.

No thanks necessary. I didn't do anything that you or Lyn wouldn't have done for someone else in need. Again, I'm so grateful things are looking up, and that it appears to be coming to a close. I can't imagine what you guys have been through the last year. That's a tough pill to swallow.
                    Thanks man. Anything you guys need, I'm a call or text away!

Comment

Thats awesome

Hope all works out dude

Comment

Agreed, that is awesome indeed and best wishes on your outcome.

Comment

Just got a call from my coordinator, TB test came back negative, so that is done! All the test results are submitted to the board, should have an answer (accepted, rejected, more testing) Friday afternoon.

My niece also got a call from her coordinator, all her tests were submitted, should get he call between 2 and 3 Friday afternoon!

Shit, Friday seems soooo far away, lol.

Comment

Finally got the call today, my niece was approved to be my donor, all her tests and my tests are done! Probably schedule the surgery for February.

Comment

Brent = dfwmmvp!
                              "PSH!!!"

Comment

This place amazes me. Glad you've got it covered now Rob, and kudos to Brent.

Comment

Working...
                                X