Utah Non-Resident CHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Non-Resident CHL

Preparing for our trip to Colorado, I was doing some research on gun laws there and in surrounding states, and come across something I thought may be noteworthy to some people on here.

I know that some members that live here in Texas got a Utah non-resident CHL rather than a Texas CHL due to shorter training requirements and faster processing. For those of you that have them, as of 2011 (2012 for renewals) in order to be able to get a Utah non-resident license, you must already have a Texas license:

53-5-704.

(4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall:

(i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency; and

(ii) submit a photocopy or electronic copy of the nonresident applicant's current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit referred to in Subsection (4)(a)(i).
    Summary: If you are a resident of a state that has reciprocity or honors a Utah Permit/License you must have a permit from your state of residence to apply after 5/10/11 and renew after 1/1/12. If you are from a state that doesn't issue permit/licenses to carry or does not honor a Utah Permit/License you can apply or renew as in the past.

This may have already been discussed, but figured it was worth posting in case there are still a few of you that only have a Utah license, and are coming up for renewal. May as well just get a TX license now.

It seems like I recall Texas working on closing the Utah license loophole anyways (not allowing TX Residents to carry based solely on holding an out-of-state non-resident license), so this may already be a moot point, but cannot recall the final disposition with that.

I am still considering getting a Utah non-resident, mainly because that can still be done by mail, and WA offers reciprocity for Utah non-resident licenses but not Texas. Mainly because I have family there, and would like to be able to carry when visiting. Though, I have been hesitant since we don't go up there very often (like 3 times in the last 10 years). WA does have their own non-resident license but you have to apply in person. I wish I had thought about it when we were in WA last year, I could have gone and applied in person then.

My instructor went over this when we were in class, he (obviously) had a TX, but also a couple of out of state non-residents too, just for the extra state reciprocity.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
      My instructor went over this when we were in class, he (obviously) had a TX, but also a couple of out of state non-residents too, just for the extra state reciprocity.
      It's irritating that WA doesn't accept TX. TX accepts theirs and the TX requirements are more stringent than WA. All you have to do to get one in WA is go to the Sheriff's office and pay $52.50. No class, no shooting, nada. They do print you and run a background check, of course. But they don't even take a photo (their licenses do not have a photo on them).

Comment

Working...
      X