Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Vietnam war on PBS

Anyone else watching ?

I thought Ken Burns had already done a Vietnam one? I guess not since this looks new. I'll be checking it out, for sure.

Available online, BTW..

Comment

They revealed some items I did not know or had not heard what a ugly time reminds me a lot of what is going on right now

Comment

It's the best thing on TV right now. I've watched it all. Amazing. The Johnson tapes, NVA/VC interviews and the personal accounts of grunts are not to be missed.

Comment

I caught a few episodes.

Most of what I saw was really good. Some of it seemed a bit self-loathing. Soundtrack was awesome. I would like to actually watch the whole thing at some point.
          I think the thing that surprised me the most was the Kent State stuff. Not sure why, but I never cared to read about the whole thing - I had no idea that 4 people died (not just the one we always see pictured) and it happened when NG troops fired 67 rounds in 13 seconds into the crowd. I always thought it was just an "Oops! Finger slipped!" but shit... they actually went full retard, and then threatened to do it again while people were dying on the ground. US troops literally opened fire on US citizens, on US soil, for protesting.

And now that I think about it, someone needs to get Dan Carlin to do a Vietnam series on Hardcore History.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
              I caught a few episodes.

Most of what I saw was really good. Some of it seemed a bit self-loathing. Soundtrack was awesome. I would like to actually watch the whole thing at some point.
              I think the thing that surprised me the most was the Kent State stuff. Not sure why, but I never cared to read about the whole thing - I had no idea that 4 people died (not just the one we always see pictured) and it happened when NG troops fired 67 rounds in 13 seconds into the crowd. I always thought it was just an "Oops! Finger slipped!" but shit... they actually went full retard, and then threatened to do it again while people were dying on the ground. US troops literally opened fire on US citizens, on US soil, for protesting.

And now that I think about it, someone needs to get Dan Carlin to do a Vietnam series on Hardcore History.
              The Kent State shooting were the end of the 60s protest movement. Once the protesters ran head long into lead they STFU.

They found out that they can only talk shit for so long before it gets to someone; someone who may kill them.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dad View Post
                I was about to post the same thing. I remember being a kid and asking my parents about that song.

Comment

I'm glad I finally got to see the very beginning of the whole mess as explained in the first episodes... I have always wanted to fully understand why everyone was demonstrating, and why the monks set themselves on fire, etc..

I believe if there was as much media exposure back then as there is now with military operations, there would have been much more demonstrations, as Vietnam seems to have been an extremely misguided venture into futility.

I'm on episode 5..

Comment

Working...
                  X