Varmint/Small game gun reco.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varmint/Small game gun reco.

Wanting a small game, Turkey, Raccoon, Groundhog gun. Distance wise, nothing over 150 yards. Looking at the .17 HMR possibly Savage Arms A series, as these seem to corner the market in .17 HMR rifles. Also considering the .22 WMR... Semi or Bolt action? Recommendations on one caliber or the other? Brand rifle? Thanks.

I would get a Savage bolt gun in .22-250 if money is tight. If they offer a 1 in 12 barrel make sure to get that if it is available. A higher grade bolt gun in the same caliber if money is not a big issue.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
      I would get a Savage bolt gun in .22-250 if money is tight. If they offer a 1 in 12 barrel make sure to get that if it is available. A higher grade bolt gun in the same caliber if money is not a big issue.
      I want to stay away from close to a $1.00/round. That's why I particularly like the WMR or .17.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
        I want to stay away from close to a $1.00/round. That's why I particularly like the WMR or .17.
        It is about 21 cents per round if you load it. You will not regret having a .22-250 for the type of shooting you are describing.

FYI: Shooting is the wrong hobby for you if money is an issue because the hobby revolves turning money into hearing damage, smoke, and noise.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Not sure I would shoot another turkey with anything other than a shotgun. Two years ago I shot one from 75 yards with my .270. Left an exit wound in its chest the size of my fist, broke its wing, and it still didn't die. Walked up to it and decided to fight me and didn't stop until I cut its head off. My cousin shot one withe a suppressed 300blk. Bullet went straight thru, turkey ran off. We tracked it with pistols and had a hell of a time hitting it and finally putting it down. FYI cci mini mags out of a pistol at 10 yards bounce off turkey feathers like superman. My other cousin shot one with a .308 at 50 yards. Dropped it but I think they had to slit its throat to finally kill it. Turkeys are a lot tougher than I thought and made me rethink my childhood fantasy of dinosaurs still existing; think I read they are closely related to either raptors or t-rex and fuck that combination of size, killing power, and toughness.

.17hmr would be great for coons and groundhog, though.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

223 with 45-50gr bullets would be my choice. If you stay within 50yds the 17 isn't bad.

I've killed several turkey with a 22-250. 55gr ballistic tip to the base of the neck and done.
            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

.223 if you're trying to keep down ammo prices. Other wise I would go 22-250 or .204

Comment

Well I ended up with a Savage 93R .17 HMR. Awesome feeling gun, very light, and got a Weaver rimfire optic to along with it. I can't wait to get it out and sight it in. I figure this will be a great gun for what I am going to be getting for small game and I can max it out a tad further out than I had intended if need be.

Comment

Thumbhole stock?

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                    Thumbhole stock?
                    Isn’t that the nickname for your asshole?
                    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                    dont downshift!!
                    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                      Isn’t that the nickname for your asshole?
                      You said you wouldn't tell anyone! I even let you be the big spoon you baby back bitch!

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                        Thumbhole stock?
                        Regular laminated camo stock/furniture, blued steel.

Comment

Working...
                        X