best red dot for ar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ View Post
    Any time your optic is incapable of achieving the accuracy of your weapon, you have a problem.
    Exactly, this can be very frustrating.

The guys buying red dots for their AR10 variants will find out soon enough.
    WRX

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
      Exactly, this can be very frustrating.

The guys buying red dots for their AR10 variants will find out soon enough.
      I have seen shooters hit 20" targets at over 1000 yards with iron sights and a 45/70 trap door gun, so no magnification doesn't mean it isn't sufficient. I don't use magnification on most any of my guns, only the ones for super long range, which a standard LR308 isn't capable of. The cartridge is, but most any LR308 without serious money in a barrel and bolt isn't going to need it.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I have seen shooters hit 20" targets at over 1000 yards with iron sights and a 45/70 trap door gun, so no magnification doesn't mean it isn't sufficient. I don't use magnification on most any of my guns, only the ones for super long range, which a standard LR308 isn't capable of. The cartridge is, but most any LR308 without serious money in a barrel and bolt isn't going to need it.
        My perspective is a bit skewed I suppose at the moment. I've been getting into 3 gun and lets just say I was not happy with 4MOA for anything over 150 yards and less than a 4-6" diameter on the steel targets.

I'm wanting to stay non magnified, so my options are a 2MOA red dot or iron sites. Cost is really a wash when looking at the >200.00 red dot options.

So the age old question/answer of "what do you want to do with it" comes up again.

edit - Is there an iron site "MOA" level?
        Last edited by mustang_revival; 06-24-2014, 03:53 PM.
        WRX

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
          edit - Is there an iron site "MOA" level?
          It's really talent based. I have shot sub moa with iron sights, it's really an individual shooters ability to line up the sights, and then on the higher end of ability, determine exactly where the impact will be. When I zero'd my M16A1 it took my 500 rounds to do it the way I wanted to. Primarily because I wanted to learn the gun, and know where exactly on the front post the impact was averaging. Some people consider zero'd to be an impact at the top of the front post. You can go as far as zeroing the gun where the impact is approx 1/32 off the top of the front post, directly in the center. Really the only way to know for sure is to put a whole lot of ammo through the gun and get confident. Some will file down the front post to a sharp point, or use aftermarket posts. It's all relative. I'm still learning myself, most of the competition iron sight shooters (silouette) I see are older. Once you finally master it, you lose your sight.
          Last edited by CJ; 06-24-2014, 04:11 PM.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/LUCID-HD7-Red-Dot-Sight/dp/B004BDLJX4/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1403656241&sr=8-17&keywords=red+dot+sight"]http://www.amazon.com/LUCID-HD7-Red-Dot-Sight/dp/B004BDLJX4/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1403656241&sr=8-17&keywords=red+dot+sight[/ame]
            Lucid HD7

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Optics-Illuminated-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B0019SS8CE/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1403656298&sr=8-31&keywords=red+dot+sight"]http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Optics-Illuminated-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B0019SS8CE/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1403656298&sr=8-31&keywords=red+dot+sight[/ame]
            Bushnell T-dot

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-StrikeFire-Scope-AR15-SF-BR-AR15/dp/B003GSRNJY/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1403656298&sr=8-38&keywords=red+dot+sight"]http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-StrikeFire-Scope-AR15-SF-BR-AR15/dp/B003GSRNJY/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1403656298&sr=8-38&keywords=red+dot+sight[/ame]
            Vortex Strikefire

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-SPARC-Red-Dot-SPC-402/dp/B00HYRGX3K/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=02QH41N17T1JV3KT6D9 M"]http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-SPARC-Red-Dot-SPC-402/dp/B00HYRGX3K/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=02QH41N17T1JV3KT6D9 M[/ame]
            Vortex Sparq II

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Primary-Arms-Classic-Micro-Removable/dp/B00JNGSYB4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403657437&sr=8-2&keywords=primary+arms+red+dot"]http://www.amazon.com/Primary-Arms-Classic-Micro-Removable/dp/B00JNGSYB4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403657437&sr=8-2&keywords=primary+arms+red+dot[/ame]
            Primary Arms Classic

Which primary arms dot should i be looking at?

But anyways, here is my list, i know i have narrowed it down a lot. Lol
            ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Whats the main difference between the bigger ones like the lucid and the strike fire and the smaller Sparq and primary arms?
              ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
                Whats the main difference between the bigger ones like the lucid and the strike fire and the smaller Sparq and primary arms?
                about $200+

Seriously though. I used an Aimpoint T1 and a Primary Arms MD-06. The MD-06 had a smaller dot. Both had the laser aberration. conclusion: buy a primary arms, save $600.

Comment

about $200+

Seriously though. I used an Aimpoint T1 and a Primary Arms MD-06. The MD-06 had a smaller dot. Both had the laser aberration. conclusion: buy a primary arms, save $600.
                  Have you ever looked through a spark 2?
                  ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

If you don't want to throw down the coin for an ACOG or MARS, Primary Arms is the way to go. I have all three. I love ACOG's and MARS, but on my cheaper builds I use the Primary Arms and love them. No point in spending more than $100 on a red dot if it's not something you'll be using a ton imo

Comment

Have you ever looked through a spark 2?
                      I can't say I have looked through the new one, no.

Comment

Really having a hard time deciding between the red dot and 4x prism or the 2.5x compact scopes..

Damn decisions..
                        ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Guess I'll just have to get both, and build that 300blk i have been wanting.. Someone point in the right direction for a $1000ish build!
                          ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

AIM has Primary Arms Micro Dots for $49.95 delivered through 7/2.

Edit: Dang, just saw that helosailor beat me to it in the deal of the day thread.
                            Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                            Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Really having a hard time deciding between the red dot and 4x prism or the 2.5x compact scopes..

Damn decisions..
                              Just went to pa and picked up that one today. Awesome red dot.
                              "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Yup when i saw it they were sold out.
                                ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Working...
                                X