Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
    ^^^^^

I am not afraid either. I was just pointing out that a lot of factory .38spl and .357mag ammo was not loaded with a 18"-24" barrel in mind and it causes problems. Shoot enough of it and you will see what I am talking about. When I still owned a .44spl/.44mag lever rifle and a .38spl/.357mag lever rifle I was very careful about what I shot in it; but it seemed pointless after I compared a 30/30 load to even the hottest .44mag load.
    What are you referring to? The velocity will be higher out of a carbine than a pistol.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
      Speaking of, you ready to sell me that 442?
      Sure.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
        What are you referring to? The velocity will be higher out of a carbine than a pistol.
        The muzzle velocity will be zero if the bullet never leaves the barrel. Jacketed bullets have a much higher sliding coefficient of friction than an un-jacketed one so they tend to get stuck more often. Sometimes normal hand gun loads don't have enough "Go" to get the bullet out of the barrel in a rifle. There is a reason that there are 2 separate sets of load data for the same cartridges for use in a hand gun vs use in a rifle with a much longer barrel.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

The muzzle velocity will be zero if the bullet never leaves the barrel. Jacketed bullets have a much higher sliding coefficient of friction than an un-jacketed one so they tend to get stuck more often. Sometimes normal hand gun loads don't have enough "Go" to get the bullet out of the barrel in a rifle. There is a reason that there are 2 separate sets of load data for the same cartridges for use in a hand gun vs use in a rifle with a much longer barrel.
          The difference is a rifle can handle a higher pressure or make use of a slower burning propellant. It's not cause things get stuck. If that was the case there would be people blowing guns up left and right.

Comment

The difference is a rifle can handle a higher pressure or make use of a slower burning propellant. It's not cause things get stuck. If that was the case there would be people blowing guns up left and right.
            Sure; it sounds good when you are talking about it but I actually have a lot of experience with this issue. Have you ever owned a lever action rifle in .38spl/.357mag? Well I have and jacketed factory ammo will get stuck in the bore from time to time.

Rifle load data vs hand gun load data doesn't up the peak pressure; it just changes the pressure curve to MAKE SURE THE BULLET WILL ACTUALLY LEAVE THE BARREL EVERY SINGLE TIME THE TRIGGER IS PULLED.

This is not just for lever guns either. I once sent the barrel down range with a Marlin Camp carbine in .45ACP.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Sure; it sounds good when you are talking about it but I actually have a lot of experience with this issue. Have you ever owned a lever action rifle in .38spl/.357mag? Well I have and jacketed factory ammo will get stuck in the bore from time to time.

Rifle load data vs hand gun load data doesn't up the peak pressure; it just changes the pressure curve to MAKE SURE THE BULLET WILL ACTUALLY LEAVE THE BARREL EVERY SINGLE TIME THE TRIGGER IS PULLED.

This is not just for lever guns either. I once sent the barrel down range with a Marlin Camp carbine in .45ACP.
              Sure do had one with no issues. Most of the identical loads yield 100 plus fps velocity jump over identical loads in a pistol. You could taylor the loads a bit with a slower burning powder for even better results but I like having a great pistol load to use in the carbine and not separate loads. You either have load issues or something else. Most data is changed thanks to the use of a longer barrel and none of the powder loss from cylinder to bore gap of a revolver. There is data for different action types that are due to pressure increase just like a 45-70.

I'd like to see where any manufacturer be it rifle, ammo or reloading component company specifically says to beware.

Comment

They don't tell you but the rifles manufacture will tell you to be careful; call them and ask. I have had quite a few lever guns in .38/.357 over the years and got an obstructed bore in every single one of them at one point or another when using FACTORY jacketed ammo. Never once had an issue with my own loads.

I don't know about you but I don't normally think 45/70 when I am discussing handgun cartridges although there is a revolver chambered in it. I have been considering one because the ballistics are nearly the same as the .454 Casull without the wrist breaking recoil that I am dealing with now.

Comment

You must be using bad ammo. Any manufacturer will tell you to be careful as they have no control over ammo.

Comment

They don't tell you but the rifles manufacture will tell you to be careful; call them and ask. I have had quite a few lever guns in .38/.357 over the years and got an obstructed bore in every single one of them at one point or another when using FACTORY jacketed ammo. Never once had an issue with my own loads.

I don't know about you but I don't normally think 45/70 when I am discussing handgun cartridges although there is a revolver chambered in it. I have been considering one because the ballistics are nearly the same as the .454 Casull without the wrist breaking recoil that I am dealing with now.
                    You want to go .45-70, because .454 Casull is too hot?

Comment

You must be using bad ammo. Any manufacturer will tell you to be careful as they have no control over ammo.
                      Bad ammo over a 31 year period from multiple manufactures? Very unlikely. Grab a case of Winchester 130gr .38spl from Walmart or the equivalent load from Remington and spend an afternoon blasting away in a field. Chances are you will not finish all of them ammo before experiencing what I am describing.

Not meaning to back track here but my original point was "Why hamper yourself with a hand gun cartridge when you still have to carry something as large as a rifle ?". Even the stoutest hand gun loads are kind of weak when compared to a 30/30, .32 Win, or a .35 Remington.

Comment

Bad ammo over a 31 year period from multiple manufactures? Very unlikely. Grab a case of Winchester 130gr .38spl from Walmart or the equivalent load from Remington and spend an afternoon blasting away in a field. Chances are you will not finish all of them ammo before experiencing what I am describing.

Not meaning to back track here but my original point was "Why hamper yourself with a hand gun cartridge when you still have to carry something as large as a rifle ?". Even the stoutest hand gun loads are kind of weak when compared to a 30/30, .32 Win, or a .35 Remington.
                        Doubtful since you seem to be the only person on the Internet with a issue. This is the second topic google picks up.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                          You want to go .45-70, because .454 Casull is too hot?
                          No; the recoil impulse from the .454 is dramatically harder then the same hand gun in 45/70 while the ballistics are nearly identical when using the exact same bullet. 35,000psi chamber pressure in the 45/70 vs 63,000psi chamber pressure in the .454.

Comment

Doubtful since you seem to be the only person on the Internet with a issue. This is the second topic google picks up.
                            Hit the range then; I will give you the ammo. No cleaning until the test is over.

Comment

No; the recoil impulse from the .454 is dramatically harder then the same hand gun in 45/70 while the ballistics are nearly identical when using the exact same bullet. 35,000psi chamber pressure in the 45/70 vs 63,000psi chamber pressure in the .454.
                              They don't use the same bullet, and if you think you're in for less recoil, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                                They don't use the same bullet, and if you think you're in for less recoil, go for it.
                                Slip of the finger; I meant exact same weight bullet.

I have shot both; there is a VERY noticeable reduction in recoil with the 45/70.

Comment

Working...
                                X