No announcement yet.

Bushmaster .450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have any experience with .450 Bushmaster but I hunt with .458 SOCOM. Pretty comparable. Something gratifying about sending a 325gr Hornady into a hog.
    03 cobra

Comment

I'm looking at getting one for hogs. They seem to have more factory ammo available over the shelf than .458 socom. I dont reload and most likely never will so that come into consideration big time for me.
      ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

as long as it uses a .452 projectile I say go for it, reloading is cheap and plentiful. What's the brass parent case?
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          as long as it uses a .452 projectile I say go for it, reloading is cheap and plentiful. What's the brass parent case?
          .284 Win bolt face. What is that? .5-something?

EDIT: .473"
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I had a .458 socom upper and did not see an advantage in use when compared to a bonded core .223 load when used to kill hogs. It appeared that the little bullet put them down faster then a huge bullet. I have seen them just stand there when hit with the socom but I have never seen one not respond to a hit with a little but super fast bullet. Has anyone here experienced the same results? Maybe the little bullet stings more when it hits; I don't know.

I'd go with a .300blk if I were in your shoes.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
              I had a .458 socom upper and did not see an advantage in use when compared to a bonded core .223 load when used to kill hogs. It appeared that the little bullet put them down faster then a huge bullet. I have seen them just stand there when hit with the socom but I have never seen one not respond to a hit with a little but super fast bullet. Has anyone here experienced the same results? Maybe the little bullet stings more when it hits; I don't know.

The guys running high velocity/light .300BLK seem super happy with it on hogs. Like the 110gr Barnes bullets. One of my coworkers loves his.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post

Will your .458 Socom get stuck in the barrel and explode with repeated heavy use?

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                  Will your .458 Socom get stuck in the barrel and explode with repeated heavy use?
                  Only if I pound the bullet down the bore with a dowel and stop half way in. I can't remember the load that I used but the bullet was sold as being made just for the socom; jacketed, big, and kind of pricy. I sold everything related to it on the old board 5 or 6 years ago.

The bloopers that I was talking about I have only experienced when using weak factory .38spl ammo. I have had some bloopers with shotguns over the years but that was because of extreme cold. After switching to longshot powder I have never had that problem again in a shotgun no matter how cold it is.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

So im wrong in thinking 300blk is mainly to be used suppressed? Or is just the fad that damn near everyone building or shooting 300blk shoot it suppressed or are building a rifle to shoot suppressed? I have also heard it shoots the best out of short(sbr) barrels. Maybe im wrong, most likely i am. I'm just looking to get an upper just for hog hunting.
                    ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

The bloopers that I was talking about I have only experienced when using weak factory .38spl ammo. I have had some bloopers with shotguns over the years but that was because of extreme cold. After switching to longshot powder I have never had that problem again in a shotgun no matter how cold it is.
                      Yea I read that. Just bustin your chops.

Comment

.300blk was made to fit into an AR with very little mods. It is also a very efficient cartridge that burns all of the powder even when using a very short barrel. The .223 for comparison needs a really long barrel (24" in my experience) to get a complete burn although I must admit that my test method to determine that was crude.

Comment

300 will always yield more energy than the 223 if you believe it is that big of a factor. Another respectable hunting round in the ar platform is the 6.8 spc which preforms great in a 16" barrel.
                          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I personally have killed hogs with 45-70, 5.56, 6.5x55 sweed and 257 Roberts. It honestly doesn't matter what you use in my experience as long as you put the bullet where it's supposed to go. Most people shoot hogs like they would a whitetail and that's where they go wrong. The vitals on a hog are much further forward then on a whitetail, they're more like most African game. Best spot to shoot if you can is right behind the ear but they ususally don't stand still long enough for that. Second best spot if they are broadside is halfway up the body directly on the front leg. This will shatter the front sholder and in most cases actually hit the spine and drop them where they stand. I told this to my 74 y/o father who was complaining about having hogs run off on him. Once he started shooting them there he didn't have one move more then a few feet....he shot 24 hogs last year with various calibers...most with a 6.5 Gendel, 6.5 x47 Lapua and a 6x47 Lapua.

If you can find a copy of P.O. Ackleys books he has some pretty interesting data on shooting mules with hyper velocity small projectiles vs. larger caliber heavy weight bullets.
                            Last edited by elPolloLoco; 07-11-2014, 06:53 AM.

Comment

I think I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the 20" version. What's the worst that can happen? I don't like it? Now what to do with that other lower........

Comment

Working...
                              X