DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Armory

The Armory The definitive firearms forum of DFW Mustangs.

View Poll Results: Where is your line on drawing your weapon on someone?
You even verbally threaten me 3 8.82%
You lay your hands on me 4 11.76%
You present a weapon of some kind 10 29.41%
Evil Jose is my favorite moderator 17 50.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
Buick355
Lifer

Default Where is your line on drawing your weapon on someone?

This is for when you're out in public, with your EDC piece. What does it take for you to draw down on someone? I know Texas is a "stand your ground" state, but I can imagine there's some grey area on what's considered a threat. Disclaimer: I'm new to carrying, and they skim over this shit pretty fast in the LTC class, so forgive my ignorance. My stance as of right now is, if you lay your hands on me, you're getting a gun put in your face. I have no idea if you have a knife, gun, the strength to beat me to death, etc. and I'm not about to find out. If someone just gets mouthy and threatens to kick my ass-whatever. I'm not pulling my gun for that, but when it gets physical, the gun comes out.
Buick355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
ram57ta
Lifer

There are too many other variables for this poll to be realistic.
I had myself questioning this a few months back. I live in Albuquerque where crime is so beyond out of control its laughable....violent assaults and rape are WAYYY up there too. About 6 months ago my dogs started going crazy at about 2am and I heard yelling and screaming in front of my house. Before I could get downstairs I heard a female voice screaming "STOP, STOP!!!! I opened the garage door to look out and I see a probably late teens/very early 20's chick parked at the end of my driveway with 2 guys and they are all yelling and swinging at each other....at this point I didn't know if they were friends or if they were attacking this chick....I never pointed the gun but I made them aware I had it on me...as I also was talking to the police. A few words were exchanged as I determined they were all drunk or methed out and they jumped in 2 separate cars and sped off. Cops did show up and when I explained what happened they said nothing about me displaying, took a report and left. One of the cars was found a few blocks away wrecked and abandoned. It was stolen.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
GE
6 Cliff Trail, Frisco, TX

I'm going with presenting a weapon to me.

Presenting your firearm as an intimidation tactic is bad juju. If I pull it out, I'm 3.5 lbs away from terminating the threat.

As the saying goes, you may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride. i.e. cops show up and there's conflicting stories, but half the people agree that there was some physical contact, but it didn't necessitate pulling out a firearm. Boom, you're probably going downtown.

It's not really a cut and dry answer. It's going to situation dependent. If Stone Cold Steve Austin goes hands on, it's a lot easier to convince a jury panel that I feared for my life. That if the fight continued I'd stand a chance that I'd be dead afterwards.

Flip that and say the BG is someone that's my same build. What do we know about them? What do we know about their fighting skills or training? Could I have simply let my pride take a hit and simply walked away?
GE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
Craizie
Cracka
VIP Member

When I feel me or mine are in imminent and serious danger.
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #5
ram57ta
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE View Post
I'm going with presenting a weapon to me.
Presenting your firearm as an intimidation tactic is bad juju. If I pull it out, I'm 3.5 lbs away from terminating the threat.
I wanna make it clear I didn't pull it out to intimidate...I didn't know if I was walking out on a girl being robbed or raped...it happens all the time out here...I was on the phone with the police at the time and the dispatcher could hear the girl screaming thru the phone. As soon as I figured out what was going on I holstered it.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:46 PM   #6
Buick355
Lifer

I typically avoid confrontation and will walk away from any type of altercation that I think might get physical. I would never engage with someone who's trying to start shit and then pull out a gun, that's idiotic.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:48 PM   #7
Craizie
Cracka
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buick355 View Post
I typically avoid confrontation and will walk away from any type of altercation that I think might get physical. I would never engage with someone who's trying to start shit and then pull out a gun, that's idiotic.
Nah, that's just pulling them off sides and laughing when the "ref" penalizes them.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:01 PM   #8
GE
6 Cliff Trail, Frisco, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
I wanna make it clear I didn't pull it out to intimidate...I didn't know if I was walking out on a girl being robbed or raped...it happens all the time out here...I was on the phone with the police at the time and the dispatcher could hear the girl screaming thru the phone. As soon as I figured out what was going on I holstered it.
My comments weren't really directed at anyone specifically.
GE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:11 PM   #9
YALE
Lifer
VIP Member

I use the concentric rings strategy for threat analysis. Basically, the closer you are or the more you look like you're approaching me, the more I pay attention to you. There are mitigating factors, and I'm always scanning when I'm in public. I try to deescalate public misunderstandings first, and get away from conflict as much as possible. So far it's worked well.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #10
naynay
Jigga Who?

brake check me and see whats up.

naynay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:15 PM   #11
Craizie
Cracka
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naynay View Post
What do you drive, and what areas do you drive?
Old 02-15-2017, 11:22 PM   #12
Sean88gt
Avenge Me!

Depends on what I perceive their intention to be.
Sean88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:33 PM   #13
Buick355
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by naynay View Post
Old 02-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #14
ELVIS
Disturbingly Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE View Post
If I pull it out, I'm 3.5 inches away from terminating your b-hole.
whoa!!!

god bless.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #15
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YALE View Post
I use the concentric rings strategy for threat analysis. Basically, the closer you are or the more you look like you're approaching me, the more I pay attention to you. There are mitigating factors, and I'm always scanning when I'm in public. I try to deescalate public misunderstandings first, and get away from conflict as much as possible. So far it's worked well.
This right here. I am typically hyperaware of my surroundings, always looking around, seeing who or what is aroubd me, etc. I could typically spot bar fights before they happened simply by watching the crowd.

As for drawing my weapon, my life or that of my family would have to be in iminent danger. I have ran scenarios through my head a lot, asking myself what I would do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
black2002ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #16
HarrisonTX
Lifer

Pulling when hands laid on you WITHOUT the intent of immediately using it is a very very good way to have your own weapon used against you. Just be cautious
Old 02-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #17
BP
infidel

I've drawn on someone while inside of my home. He was abusive to my sister and threatened my life. I was in my home at the time and he was standing in the yard making verbal threats. Thankfully he decided to leave before assaulting anyone.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #18
IHaveAMustang
RIP DFWstangs.net

I've been carrying for 5 years now, have not even had anything remotely close to make me think to draw. I think it's 99% situational awareness, 1% action.

That being said, I have my decision split into two scenarios:
1) I'll draw down at the slightest hint that either my wife or 2 year old son is in any danger. They are the whole reason I got a CHL. As long as I maintain distance, my weapon shouldn't be in danger of being taken. Even being followed in a parking lot would make me draw and tell them to get lost. Don't care about being arrested, their lives are priority.

2) If it's just me, they'll have to try to punch, stab or draw a weapon on me before I draw. I imagine a jury of my peers would acquit me with a female and toddler being protected instead of a lone white male with no witnesses/other victims.

Last edited by IHaveAMustang; 02-16-2017 at 09:41 AM.
IHaveAMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #19
sc281
Lifer
VIP Member

If I feel threatened. Casually place it at my side and try to not have it in view of the bad guy.
Waiting after that point, to me, only puts me at a disadvantage if the potential bad guy decides to draw first.
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats." P. J. O'Rourke
sc281 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:24 PM   #20
naynay
Jigga Who?

sig check.

naynay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
im actually django, naynay > john wayne, not white=clear leather