Where does everybody get their wood for smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does everybody get their wood for smoking

I've been using a pellet smoker for a while and just bought a wood smoker. Need to know who has good wood and variety in flavors of wood. Open for ideas on what types of woods are best for brisket and pork butt as well.

Thanks

Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes are usually where I buy mine. They generally stock the normal hickory and mesquite and I usually see apple and cherry woods there to. Never cooked pork butt but brisket I've tried any of the four I mentioned but usually stick with mesquite.

Comment

Do you use charcoal with wood on top or strictly wood

Comment

I use the lump wood from academy in the egg, usually apple

Comment

I have been buying the big sacks of cut and split logs at kroger, and Stubbs lump charcoal at Costco.

We've used Pecan on ribs and butts, and also Mesquite, and we cant tell a difference.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
            I have been buying the big sacks of cut and split logs at kroger, and Stubbs lump charcoal at Costco.

We've used Pecan on ribs and butts, and also Mesquite, and we cant tell a difference.
            That Stubbs stuff is pretty bad ass for normal grilling, been digging it.

I get my wood at...

1. Home Depot in Plano along 75/Spring Creek - they sell the bags of full wood. Expensive though.

2. Usually there are road side vendors as well and you can buy large amounts a lot cheaper.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

just saw at cabelas on the camping department they have lots of wood flavors.

Comment

Christian gave me the number of a guy in SE Dallas

"The Wood Man" - 469-258-6433

I bought some Mesquite, Pecan, Red Oak, and Cherry from him about a month ago. He has about 10 other woods too, fruit woods, etc. (He'll do whole logs, split logs, chunks, and even smaller pieces if you need them.)

He's over off of 635/Military Parkway, but works in Garland, and can bring the wood with him to his work.

Great guy, btw.

Comment

I know there is another place off of Beltline in Irving that is between I-30 and 183 that sells "bulk" wood as well. I've got a small vertical smoker so I mostly use wood chips and have no need for logs. Brent you ready to sell me back that smoker?

Comment

Get with the wood man buy some different types and see what you like. The place in Irving is on beltline and rock island. Bring a ladder so you can reach the prices. fruit wood is better for milder meats, chicken fish and pork. I really like pecan but the cost is prohibitive with the amount we go through in our smoker. Lately we have been using mesquite. I have some hook ups on some but they are hours away and not special trip worthy. The cost of fruit wood is out of the question for me. Some people like oak but it gives off a bitter taste so I don't use it. A couple of my friends use it exclusively due to cost.

I recondition headlights on most cars for $50.00. If interested shoot me a pm.

Comment

Im usually in a folding chair, somewhere in view of the smoker, with a cold beer.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                      X