Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody tried to become a vegetarian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody tried to become a vegetarian?

Not for ethical reasons or anything, but my doc suggested that I try it for a month or so to see if my blood pressure and energy improve. Her first degree was in nutrition so I figured I would give it a shot.
    All I have to say so far is that it has not been nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I have more energy, never feel sluggish after meals, eat slower, and fill up faster as a result; Not that I need to lose weight but if you are looking to do so then it would definitely be easy.
    Anyone have any suggestions for meals/staple foods and whatnot? I have been eating quinoa and various beans like crazy, but it is hard to get the protein you need.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

I ate a hamburger one time with lettuce and unions once, does that count?

Comment

Not eating meat is easy, staying away from the heavy carbs is the hard part.
      "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Hard to believe a Dr suggested that, as you will have problems getting the minimal protein, and will likely lose weight and muscle mass. I don't know about the energy and such. I'm curious how you can stick to this.
        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
        86 SVO - Sold
        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I figure I will try it for a month, and if I lose too much weight Ill stop.

Comment

Keep us updated. The energy part sounds good.
            86 SVO - Sold
            01 TJ - new toy - Sold

Comment

It's not hard. I would recommend starting slowly, like cut out all red meat and pork first.

Only eat Chicken and lean fish for example.

I have gout and only eat chicken and lean fish, its not hard.

I'll have a steak or burger once about every 3-6 months :/

There's a lot of good recipes out there, your key to success will be finding things that taste good. Your biggest problem will be fast food and if you drink alcohol at all that's when it gets harder to stick to a good diet.

Target has a great selection of Veggie frozen foods that taste good.
              WRX

Comment

Comment

I lol'd.
                  86 SVO - Sold
                  01 TJ - new toy - Sold

Comment

Gave me a chuckle. Thanks for the tips Mustang Revival.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                      Gave me a chuckle. Thanks for the tips Mustang Revival.
                      The Roo meat was that bad, huh?
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

My dad did it for a few years to help with his blood pressure, it did make a big difference. He's back to eating meat now, but mostly chicken, some red meat occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by 90GT50 View Post
                          My dad did it for a few years to help with his blood pressure, it did make a big difference. He's back to eating meat now, but mostly chicken, some red meat occasionally.
                          buddy of mine stopped red meat almost completely and started eating more vegies in hopes that he can get off BP meds all together. He also lost about 20 lbs in the process.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I drive by Angelo's, Rail Head and a Riscky's almost every day. I don't think I'd last very long as a vegetarian.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                              I drive by Angelo's, Rail Head and a Riscky's almost every day. I don't think I'd last very long as a vegetarian.
                              I don't intend to do it for very long, just for a month. Although if my blood pressure and whatnot improves greatly I will probably see if I could go with it for longer, maybe just add some poultry here and there.

Comment

Working...
                              X