EBay tonneau covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBay tonneau covers

Are they shit? All the ones at truck accessory stores are 8-1200ish for a hard one.. this is 400, what would be the difference?

"PSH!!!"

Looks like a copy of the name brands. It is probably ok to use, but I don’t see anything about warranty’s. It is funny the add specifies “no instructions included”, not that you need them for these. Reminds me of the knock-off NFAB bars my neighbor bought, no instructions included either.

Comment

Can you find some real ones on ebay, that are the brand you want? Should still be a good deal cheaper than the store.
      WH

Comment

Alibaba or dhgate

Comment

I have this cover for my Ram. I created an account, put in my email and received a discount code. I buy most of my truck accessories from AutoAnything, because they regularly email 10-15% off coupon codes for various brands. The black Friday coupon was a 20% site wide coupon. And they have good prices and customer service.

$549
          FREE SHIPPING! Get Excellent Truck Bed Security. Give your Ford F-150 a boost in its appearance and security by installing this Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover. This com

Comment

The soft ones are crap, imo. Easy to rip/puncture and they will puff up when going down the road and then sag because they loosened up.

The hard fold ones can be good, and you probably get what you pay for. I avoided them and went with rolling covers because I didn't like the idea of having the folded part blocking the rear window if the cover needed to be open to accommodate a load that sits higher than the bed. In hindsight, I'd probably prefer a hard folding cover for the simplicity in my application.

I've owned two different rolling toppers - a Roll n Lock and a Retrax MX One. Both had their advantages and their faults.

The Roll n Lock was much sturdier and smoother. The aluminum slats under the vinyl cover never cracked or bent, and I never had any issues with opening and closing, even after plenty of wheeling trips. The design on it latches into a rail that is installed on the tailgate, so when it is closed all the way, it prevents the tailgate from opening. That's good for security, and also makes sure that the topper stays completely closed all the way. However, sometimes this was a disadvantage, because you couldn't open the tailgate and grab something without unlatching the topper first. Also, if you keep the tailgate down (I frequently use a bed extender), you can't keep the topper closed, as it has nothing to latch onto. The lock mechanism itself is in the middle, and it takes quite a bit of hand strength to turn it for latching and unlatching. My wife couldn't do it at all, and some of my friends had trouble with it (mostly not trying hard enough and assuming it was locked). To close it, there is a strap attached that has you pulling the topper from the center, which helps make sure it doesn't bind. When the truck was in an accident and the topper got messed up, I decided to go with the Retrax, mainly because of the different latch/lock design.

The Retrax One MX has a handle on the side, and it's very easy to latch and unlatch. It latches completely independent from the tailgate, so when closed, you can open the tailgate to access things quickly without opening the top at all, and you can also keep the tailgate open and use a bed extender and still have your topper closed, keeping the contents covered. The design is very low profile, so it does look slightly more sleek than the Roll n Lock. This is about where the advantages end for the Retrax. The latch being on one side doesn't hold the cover closed as securely, and I had issues with the slide moving a little and creating a gap at the tailgate. I even had the latch "let go" a couple of times, as it's just not as secure of a connection as the Roll n Lock. Mine had the exposed poly slats (they make a pricier version with exposed aluminum slats, but the Roll n Lock has aluminum slats with a vinyl cover at the price point of the poly-slatted Retrax). After a few wheeling trips, some of the slats cracked or bent, and the topper itself began to bind up, making opening and closing it a real struggle at times. Their customer service was solid, and they sent me a whole new topper after I sent them some pics, but that just starts things over and doesn't actually make the product any better.

Both of the rolling toppers were rendered completely unusable during continued snowy weather, which I get a lot of here in the CO mountains. The toppers themselves roll up into a canister where the bed meets the cab. The canister has drain tubes for rain that gets inside, but snow and slush would get inside and refreeze instead of drain, essentially blocking the topper from getting back into the canister. Then I would be stuck with a topper that will not open at all, so my spare tire, recovery gear, tools, etc would be trapped inside. Not a good situation. This year I decided to leave my topper open, and it's now frozen that way, so I have access to my stuff, but it's covered in snow and ice, defeating the purpose of a topper. That's why I say a hard folding topper would be a much simpler and useful option for me. Easy enough to knock off the snow and ice to get open or closed, and presumably no issues with binding or cracking from flex caused by hard wheeling.

Comment

Working...
            X