Anyone have an eBike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have an eBike?

I'm looking at a pedal assist or a full electric like a SurRon, anyone have one?
    Riding local trails would be badass but I hear you get shit for riding them on regular bike trails.

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

bro's dream thread just fucking happened!

Comment

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
      bro's dream thread just fucking happened!
      It's my time to shine!!!!

I have one and love it. Its just a radmini which is like the Honda civic of eBikes but its still a blast and very useful. The primary demographic is retired people and commuters so its not going to be as fun as a son run...but i can also ride it all over public bike trails without worrying because it's class 2. When im pulling a bike trailer it makes it almost unnoticeable. I just did a 25 mile ride all over highland village and it was a breeze hitting up different parts of the lake and some "off road" trails.

BUT...for a proper mountain bike trail there's no chance in hell I would use it. Its way too heavy and not agile at all. You mentioned a sur ron which means you're looking at a higher price point...so I expect you already know its going to be near $3K or much more for any decent quality mountain ebike. There's just a huge difference in a budget ebike like I have and something like a trek ebike or sur ron.

For my use...the main benefit of the ebike was the loophole that allowed me to take a motorized bike on public trails. If you get one of the electric dirt bikes you can't use the same loophole. And many dorba trails don't allow ebikes yet from what I have heard. So at that point why not just get a real dirtbike?

Comment

I bought Lea and I e-bikes for Christmas, and we love them. They are fat tire bikes, but no suspension or anything so they aren't much for offroad. I have aired down and ridden on some of the more rough dirt roads between gas wells here in Haslet, but that's all so far. I mainly got them to take on the road with us in the van. A lot of the smaller CO towns we visit don't have the best parking, but plenty of bike lanes and racks..

These are the one's I got.. They were pretty much the best bang for the buck for Folding bikes, which was a factor. They get a lot of attention btw.. So expect a lot of comments and questions.

Discover the carefree fun that Lectric eBikes have to offer! A wide variety of electric bike models and accessories create fun, foldable, and affordable adventures for every rider - including class 3 capabilities, pedal assist, and throttle options.

Comment

Intense Tazer. Use code PulpMX10 at checkout for a discount.

Comment

I have a Radrover and it's pretty cool. Probably much bigger than you'd expect though. I'm 5'10 and even with the seat post all the way down it's hard to get on. The back tire is so large it's hard to swing your leg over. It'll run on battery power alone up to 24 mph with around 15 miles range. If you cruise at slower speeds and pedal it can go 2-3x that.

I ride the Trinity Trails and get lots of looks but have to date only had one snide remark when someone called it a beach bike. I'm not sure if he was being a jerk or just trying to be funny.

My city doesn't have an ordinance against them that I know of. California is leading the way to regulating though and class 1-2 e-bikes are the same as a bicycle. Meaning they can only assist up to 20mph, which is how mine came from the factory. You can adjust the settings to make it 24mph. The faster ones do 28 out of the box and in CA they aren't legal to ride on bike paths.

Comment

Looking also at a Luna X1 too, riding the local trails is really appealing to me, they are everywhere vs having to drive hours to get to "dirt bike" trails.

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                I have a Radrover and it's pretty cool. Probably much bigger than you'd expect though. I'm 5'10 and even with the seat post all the way down it's hard to get on. The back tire is so large it's hard to swing your leg over. It'll run on battery power alone up to 24 mph with around 15 miles range. If you cruise at slower speeds and pedal it can go 2-3x that.

I ride the Trinity Trails and get lots of looks but have to date only had one snide remark when someone called it a beach bike. I'm not sure if he was being a jerk or just trying to be funny.

My city doesn't have an ordinance against them that I know of. California is leading the way to regulating though and class 1-2 e-bikes are the same as a bicycle. Meaning they can only assist up to 20mph, which is how mine came from the factory. You can adjust the settings to make it 24mph. The faster ones do 28 out of the box and in CA they aren't legal to ride on bike paths.
                Damn, I just looked it up, that is a lot of bike for the money, very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                  Damn, I just looked it up, that is a lot of bike for the money, very impressive.
                  Yeah it's way more cruiser than mountain bike and they are really heavy. I'm not likely to hit too many trails so it works. I can probably find a coupon code if you're interested in one. They've been working at about a month backlog during the pandemic.

Comment

Some trails in the DFW area forbid them.

Comment

Subscribing. Looking at them right now and trying to convince the wife it’s the right thing to do. LOL

David

Comment

it's been hell trying to see if they are not legal at places, i guess they may have blanket rules so they dont feel the need to say they are not allowed. I went to a trail in Rockwall a few days ago and it made no mention they are not allowed, it's a DORBA trail too.

Comment

Looking also at a Luna X1 too, riding the local trails is really appealing to me, they are everywhere vs having to drive hours to get to "dirt bike" trails.

That's a bad ass bike. Choo$$ Choo$$

Comment

it's been hell trying to see if they are not legal at places, i guess they may have blanket rules so they dont feel the need to say they are not allowed. I went to a trail in Rockwall a few days ago and it made no mention they are not allowed, it's a DORBA trail too.
                            If its not posted I would consider it free game...i mean they're just going to bitch at you. The more reading I do the more I see that DORBA doesn't have an official position but some of their trails dont allow ebikes and some do.

As these things surge in popularity, I expect the regulations to come in much like drones. And if you look at every single manufacturer being out of stock and pre-order only....you can get a feel for the popularity.

Everything points to class 1 or 2 being the bikes that are not considered motorized....but if you look at the UK its taken even further to 250 watts and 15.5mph max. The last thing I would want is a 3500 ebike that I can't use anywhere I wanted to use it...so the purchasing decision is pretty tough with legislation changing.

The older demographic is the savior to ebikes being allowed. Thank god for their support.

If anyone wants to test a Rad Mini in the McKinney area I can meet you at a park. Its the same power train as the rover and many other rad power bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                              Some trails in the DFW area forbid them.
                              ACOE land and some of the other DORBA trails

Comment

Working...
                              X