Anybody need some DDR3 RAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody need some DDR3 RAM?

I just upgraded a couple of my machines. I hate throwing shit away and I doubt I'll ever have any use for these, so free to anyone that wants to pick them up (I could meet you when I'm out and about as well).

4x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1333 MHz, 10+ years old but the old machine was running fine on Windows 10 with Core 2 Quad

4GB 1600 MHz NANYA, 4 GB 1600 MHz Hynix that came out of a refurbished Dell Optiplex 9010 that also ran fine on Windows 10 with an i5; just came up short on memory
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
    I just upgraded a couple of my machines. I hate throwing shit away and I doubt I'll ever have any use for these, so free to anyone that wants to pick them up (I could meet you when I'm out and about as well).

4x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1333 MHz, 10+ years old but the old machine was running fine on Windows 10 with Core 2 Quad

4GB 1600 MHz NANYA, 4 GB 1600 MHz Hynix that came out of a refurbished Dell Optiplex 9010 that also ran fine on Windows 10 with an i5; just came up short on memory

I need some DDR3, but in higher amounts. Putting a Xeon in to replace my dying i7-980X, and since it's a server class CPU, I can go up to 288GB...but i'll settle for 32GB.

You don't by chance have any 8gb sticks to give away do you?

Comment

What are you doin with your rig that a Xeon could do and an i7 can't?

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
        What are you doin with your rig that a Xeon could do and an i7 can't?
        It was an engineering sample i7-980x. Core #5 started to become unstable last year (Clock Watchdog Timeout) so I had to down a pair of cores to keep it stable. I've been running it as a quad core for a while, but saw a W3690 for $75 and bought it. A minor BIOS update to include new microcode for CPUs, minor overclock to 4.125GHz and she's running great.

Just trying to extend the life of my 10 year old PC.

I have a 100 shares of American Airlines that I bought cheap, and when this whole COVID nonsense ends (hopefully in a year or two) that will fund my new AMD Ryzen build.
        Last edited by IHaveAMustang; 07-28-2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
          It was an engineering sample i7-980x. Core #5 started to become unstable last year (Clock Watchdog Timeout) so I had to down a pair of cores to keep it stable. I've been running it as a quad core for a while, but saw a W3690 for $75 and bought it. A minor BIOS update to include new microcode for CPUs, minor overclock to 4.125GHz and she's running great.

Just trying to extend the life of my 10 year old PC.

I have a 100 shares of American Airlines that I bought cheap, and when this whole COVID nonsense ends (hopefully in a year or two) that will fund my new AMD Ryzen build.
          Interesting, I've never seent that happen, but it would make more sense being an ES chip. You'll be blown away by Ryzen's perf when you do build fresh, but I fear this whole manufactured crisis of covid will make building more expensive than it otherwise would be for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Interesting, I've never seent that happen, but it would make more sense being an ES chip. You'll be blown away by Ryzen's perf when you do build fresh, but I fear this whole manufactured crisis of covid will make building more expensive than it otherwise would be for the foreseeable future.
            Yeah, I built a friend's 3900x system and it just seemed super slick compared to his older Intel he was previously running. He also had a CPU issue. He couldn't be happier right now.

I'd love to get the 3990X threadripper, but its currently going for around $3500!!

Comment

SHEESH! what on God's green earth would you do with all those resources?

Comment

SHEESH! what on God's green earth would you do with all those resources?
                Brag

And future proof my PC for another decade, or more.

Comment

Fair enough. If you had the gumption and scratch to do it, you could effectively do this and have "multiple" gaming rigs.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                    I need some DDR3, but in higher amounts. Putting a Xeon in to replace my dying i7-980X, and since it's a server class CPU, I can go up to 288GB...but i'll settle for 32GB.

You don't by chance have any 8gb sticks to give away do you?
                    Unfortunately I don't. I swapped out the 2x4gb for 2x8gb and the 4x2gb for 4x4gb. I also discovered last night that my old Asus motherboard and Core 2 Quad don't support single sided DIMMs so that was fun
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                    X