Quieting down skylights in the rain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quieting down skylights in the rain.

I've got two skylights in my master bedroom. It's nice to look at the stars or moon when we're in bed but everything gets loud during rain like we are having tonight. Last night I pretty much got no sleep.

I'm asking what options I have to quiet things down. These skylights appear to be made of plexiglass. Every drop that hits them gets amplified a bit. Is there something to cover them with or a good replacement?

Speaking of noise, I'm also going to replace the windows in the bedroom. These originals aren't very good at insulating from the cold and every bit of noise goes right through them. Anyone living in Denton knows that the freight train engineers are having a party every night at 1am and they want everyone in town to join them. I'm also down the street from a crossing for the A-Train...

Stop being a pussy.... I love the sound of rain, it gives a nice beat to fuck to.

Comment

Normally I would agree, but this crap is loud..

Comment

Ever think of making some interior shutters for them?

Comment

parents have a metal roof at their house, when I was a youngster I used to love when it rained

Comment

Choo Choo ftw. If it's a long long short long whistle then it's just for that crossing get involved in local city Council and propose a quiet zone for the crossing.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
              Ever think of making some interior shutters for them?
              Yeah. Something maybe like another windowat the cieling line.

Comment

Umbrellas.

Comment

How deep in the ceiling are they? If they're sunk into it in shafts, move the bed out from under them, and the amount of noise you notice will be a lot lower.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

That would make me nervous as hell with the bed positioned like that, after watching softball size hail take out my parents skylights in the early 90's in the middle of the night. That could be a rather bad surprise awakening at some point.

Comment

I've got one in my bathroom and just that one is too loud in a good rain, I couldn't imagine one in the bedroom. When I build a house it will have 0 skylights. I wonder if you could get some rubber mat to cover them.

Comment

Plasti dip the inside

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                          Plasti dip the inside
                          Isn't that bed liner?
                          sigpic

Comment

What if you cut a sheet of plexiglass and installed it on the inside under the bubble, would the air between the two insulate/quite down the noise?
                            Big Rooster Racing
                            1985 Mustang GT

Comment

Originally posted by Josh.0 View Post
                              What if you cut a sheet of plexiglass and installed it on the inside under the bubble, would the air between the two insulate/quite down the noise?
                              You might get a bit of reduction but they would probably have to be sealed with at least some caulk on the edges. Probably something Beavis could easily do, If I remember correctly he is a pretty handy guy.

We get a lot of noise from ours in the living room as well. Unfortunately we are probably going to have to replace them for leaks and not being sealed properly anymore.
                              "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                              -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X