Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old school car audio guys...amplifier question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old school car audio guys...amplifier question?

For several years I've had a JL Audio Stealthbox in my 98 GMC Sierra Ext.cab (1 JL 10W0 in a sealed box) and have been running it off a single Linear Power 2202 IQ bridged with the gain turned WAY down. The Linear is WAY more power than I need for that single 10w0. I was going thru a box I had in storage to sell a few things on Ebay and discovered 4 amplifiers I had forgotten I had and think I'm gonna sell the 2202IQ instead and use one of these for the sub in my truck. I already have an Audiocontrol 2XS crossover in the truck so all I need is an amp for the Stealthbox. Which amp would you choose to use?

Linear Power 952IQ 47.5Wx2@4ohm RMS 190W Bridged RMS (under-rated)
    Rockford Fosgate Punch 30 15Wx2@4ohm RMS not sure if bridgeable (under-rated)
    Rockford Fosgate Punch 40.2 20Wx2@4ohm RMS Bridgeable (under-rated)
    Precision Power PPI-2050M 50Wx2@4ohm RMS Bridgeable (under-rated)

I'm going to pick one, hook it up and then sell off the rest...I don't need them. They all work great and other than the Punch 30...I'm sure any of them would power that single 10 quite well.

My first "real" system (waayyy back in the day) was based off of 2 Punch 30's running at much lower than 1 ohm. 1 running the front end and 1 running the bass, which was 2 Punch 10's in a slot loaded box with 4 6.5" Petras woofers each in a 1/4 cube sealed. Hit hard and sounded good, those amps were massively under rated.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
      For several years I've had a JL Audio Stealthbox in my 98 GMC Sierra Ext.cab (1 JL 10W0 in a sealed box) and have been running it off a single Linear Power 2202 IQ bridged with the gain turned WAY down. The Linear is WAY more power than I need for that single 10w0. I was going thru a box I had in storage to sell a few things on Ebay and discovered 4 amplifiers I had forgotten I had and think I'm gonna sell the 2202IQ instead and use one of these for the sub in my truck. I already have an Audiocontrol 2XS crossover in the truck so all I need is an amp for the Stealthbox. Which amp would you choose to use?

Linear Power 952IQ 47.5Wx2@4ohm RMS 190W Bridged RMS (under-rated)
      Rockford Fosgate Punch 30 15Wx2@4ohm RMS not sure if bridgeable (under-rated)
      Rockford Fosgate Punch 40.2 20Wx2@4ohm RMS Bridgeable (under-rated)
      Precision Power PPI-2050M 50Wx2@4ohm RMS Bridgeable (under-rated)

I'm going to pick one, hook it up and then sell off the rest...I don't need them. They all work great and other than the Punch 30...I'm sure any of them would power that single 10 quite well.
      Of those amps I'd use the PPI.

Comment

Just finished testing the Linear 952 and the Punch 40. The Punch 40 has terrible distortion and weak unbalanced output at very low volume...so I guess it has some internal damage. The Linear Power sounds fantastic in stereo and bridged at 4ohms and has a LOT of power. Now that I've found a power connector for the Punch 30 I can test it out to see how it sounds. Now its between the Linear 952, PPI 2050M, and Punch 30. Found a manual for the speaker and discovered its a JL 10W1-4 and not a 10W0.

Comment

Many Rockford amps emit TONS of RFI. We can power them up on the bench and then the FM is killed. If you listen to the radio, you may not be able to handle the noise.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
            Many Rockford amps emit TONS of RFI. We can power them up on the bench and then the FM is killed. If you listen to the radio, you may not be able to handle the noise.
            That would be a problem because yes I do listen to the radio. The unregulated T0-3 Linear's create similar problems with AM radio (2202,3002,5002,etc). The little Punch 30 sounds pretty damn good hooked up to a set of large tower speakers using a 30A Astron power supply, but it squeals (the actual amplifier...not the speakers) when the volume goes up which concerns me. Now its between the Linear and the PPI.

Comment

Working...
            X