Help with using the blue tipped wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with using the blue tipped wrench

I bought a torch a year ago, and I need to use it to heat up a stubborn ass nut.

I only have the cutting torch head (apparently Harris is a shitty torch, absofuckinglutely zero local sales/service/parts), no other attachments.

I want to heat up the nut, not cut it off, or damage anything around it.

Any tips for where to set the cone so that I don't fuck things up?

Thanks in advance. I've watched lots of videos on safely starting it & shutting it down, and I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I've got that going for me.
    Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Just heat it up and don't use oxygen to blow the metal out. It takes a good long while to get that nut hot enough to start cutting, it has to be nearly glowing yellow before you hit it with the oxygen to start cutting.

Comment

You want a somewhat broad blue flame...
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Ideally your looking for a rosebud. Last time I checked Tractor supply sold Harris and Victor torch heads.
        The Daily

10' F250 FX4 CC spatanized & deleted

Comment

Originally posted by PeeWeeC5 View Post
          Ideally your looking for a rosebud. Last time I checked Tractor supply sold Harris and Victor torch heads.
          I kid you not, the closest tractor supply is 35-40 minutes from me, but I guarantee i will call them tomorrow to see if they have my part!

Anyway, after much frustration, I got the torch lit, and the nut came off willingly. Thanks again.
          Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Thanks again for the help. I followed some of the advice I got in PM's & used it again to heat up a stuck pitman arm for removal. Yesterday, it broke one of my pullers. Today, I won the battle.

Also, I easily found the Harris web site online, found the part numbers I need for welding & heating tips, and Johnstone supply is going to help me source them, or sell me uniweld parts if they're compatible.

Comment

I only use a cuttting tip. Its fun to torch things, but I want a plasma cutter in a bad way.

Comment

Working...
              X