Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Post!!! steering wheel problem?

HELLO!!!!
    im Frank! i new to the forums. first mustang! just got it running but got a little problem!
    The tilt mechanism in my 88LX will not hold the steering wheel in one place it seems to be worn out.Position of release lever has little effect on movement. I am unable to drive it because the wheel moves easy, but if you grab the wheel while getting in or out it swings right to the bottom of its range. If u push on the top it goes straight back up! Is it a big problem or an easy fix?

post tits or gtfo newb!

read the rules.
    One day at a time.

Comment

Check your hydraulic tilt steering fluid

Comment

Hi!!!!111!!1

Comment

Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
          Check your hydraulic tilt steering fluid
          This. Odds are one of the seals busted and all the fluid ran out. If the seal busted there will be caked up dirt/fluid down near the input shaft on the steering gear. Seen a few of them go out.

Comment

After you post some good pics.. pull the plastic cover off the steering column. Might just need to tighten the bolts that hold the tilt mechanism together.
            Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
            90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Probably the bolts hold it on. Worst case, you will have to change the column.

Comment

i bought it from someone who said that it had a new engine and tranny but was wired wrong. after fixing the wiring i found out that the engine was shot, and the tranny was just a t-5 not a world class. so i built and engine, put a new tranny in it. and did a cheap paint job. got a few little things to still do. thanks to 5.0 rick we got it all figured out and running

Comment

So it was a t5 that was made before 1984?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

well that, and he said it had been rebuilt..we looked inside and didnt look very rebuilt. nothing on the car was done correctly when i got it, so figured would rather just switch it out when i had it out haha

Comment

Probably just need to repair the steering column adjustment. Look at the mechanism that locks it in place and see whats wrong..

Comment

i looked at it and the pin in there and everything, the teeth just jump over the pin for some reason

Comment

hmmmm thats weird

Comment

I have a tilt column id sell for 100. just have to drive to Stephenville
                            Originally posted by soap
                            i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

Hi. I'm having issues with my steering column also.. But mine is in the shaft. I have a 98 mustang gt Manuel and The lower shaft end that comes in from the firewall keeps collapsing inward and coming apart from the male shaft under the dash. Is the shaft just old or is something broke? I can't figure out why it keeps coming all the way undone.. Before it came apart I was cleaning out my car and once finished I installed the seats and drive it out to the parking lot. 30 minutes later I go out to leave and my steering wheel is loose! And I feel something hit my foot! I look under the dash and the two shafts were completely sparated! I can easily push the lower shaft in to rejoin the two shafts but my concern is what is going to prevent this from falling out on me while driving! Also not sure if this could be relevant but I have been having binding issues leading up to this. Thoughts? Ideas? Please help..
                              (Would have made my own thread but wouldn't let me?)

JohnWilliam Rodriguez.

Comment

Working...
                              X