MSD Coil Issue ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSD Coil Issue ?

Anyone ever have an MSD coil break down after about 30 minutes of driving and shut the engine down? After sitting about 30 minutes it will start right up and run fine for about 30 minutes the die again. Mine did this 4 times in a 200 mile round trip. I thought it was the TFI module, but I replaced the old one with a new Genuine Ford part. Now I'm thinking coil. Any thoughts ?

I'm having this same problem right now in my 68. I also have an MSD coil but I think my problem is with my distributor or my box.

Do you have a stock coil to put back on?
    68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
    63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
    i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

I had a similar issue with one on my car. It would randomly not start for me after sitting for a few hours. I had it shut off while driving once and would not start until I let it sit for about 45 minutes. Took it off and put the stock coil back on and no more issues.

Comment

MSD coil shit the bed a couple days ago in a buddy's turbo '95 GT.

Pull the coil wire to see if you're getting any spark. I'm sure it's it, given all of these people having issues with them. I tried the TFI module first as well.
        Originally posted by Buzzo
        Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Weird... my MSD coil crapped out on me to last week, and it was only 6 months old. Put the stock coil back on and havnt had a problem since.
          1991 5.0 Mustang LX-Hatch, BBK Cold Air Intake, BBK Headers, BBK X-Pipe, Flowmaster 40's, HPM C/C Plates, Cobra Sway-Bar, UPR Subframe Connectors, UPR Control Arms, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, FRPP "C" Springs, FRPP 31 Spine Diff, Moser 31 Spline Axles, FRPP 3:73 Gears, Tokico Blue Shocks, King Cobra Clutch, MSD Ignition, Taurus Electric Fan, BBK Gripp Shifter, & More

Comment

^ WTF. They must have made a poor batch.
            Originally posted by Buzzo
            Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Well damn with all these MSD coil problems I guess that could also be my issue. I guess I'll steal the coil off my Fairlane.
              63 Fairlane

Comment

I have a stock coil to put back on. I am really getting to be a "Genuine Ford Parts " guy. I think the hot coils just fail because they are running too hot.

Comment

MSD Coil Issue on Foxbody

I purchased a Crane Flame Thrower coil from Summit. It was a little "Pricey....($70.00) , but I think the problem is solved. You do have to change the plug on the Ford wiring harness since the Crane has a round pin. By the way, the round pin looks a lot stouter. The car drives like a different vehicle. No more low speed misses and believe it or not the throttle response is a lot crisper. I tried to get the MSD coil checked, but have not found a shop with anything they can load the coil and see if it breaks down. Someone said one of the old Sun Machines would do that. If I find one I will report back. For now though, I think the problem is solved.

Comment

I've never been a huge fan of MSD other than their ignition boxes. I even went away from those and used Mallory, a lot more features for the money. I always had great luck with Accel coils.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                      I've never been a huge fan of MSD other than their ignition boxes. I even went away from those and used Mallory, a lot more features for the money. I always had great luck with Accel coils.
                      On my ex wife's 90 GT I always ran MSD caps and rotors and they would burn out or corrode and I'd have to replace them about every 4 months. I put a regular parts store replacement on about a year ago and its been fine so far (that I know of, I don't really talk to her anymore). The car is a daily driver and otherwise stock ignition besides the MSD coil and it's been on there for about 10 years.
                      63 Fairlane

Comment

Great, I read this thread and I've got an MSD coil on the truck.
                        "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

MSD Coil

Yours may never give any problem. I just read lots of reviews or chats that told about the same problem I had. I would carry my stock coil in the truck, JIC.

Comment

I had a coil pack go bad on my 97 that caused it to run like crap. Granted I'm sure it was several years old as it was on the car when I purchased it. However on my 90 my wife bought me a brand new MSD coil from Summit. Coil was never used because the car was tore apart in our build phase I had just installed it for the heck of it one day. Fast foward car is put back together, coil is bad and MSD wouldn't replace it. I ended up going with the HVC coil and new 6AL-2 box
                            1990 GT

Comment

MSD Coil Issues

I hate to knock anybody's part, and I thought MSD was a good brand. I just think they have an issue with whoever builds their coils. Maybe they are "Taiwan Tommy " all the way. I would never have thought that. I know that the orientals cane build good electronics if they are allowed to. If MSD is putting restraints on costs, then we get bad parts. I for one will not run an MSD coil again.

Comment

Working...
                              X