Looking at options and opinions for a 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at options and opinions for a 4x4

I'm looking into options on a removable topped 4x4. Preferably small to medium sized. Mainly looked at Cj7's or Samurai's, but would look at others if suggested. Budget will be up to 8k. I'd prefer something that will do street duty around town, with some light to moderate trail capability.

Samurai's are top of the list at the moment, they are small and light, very reasonably priced on CL, even some with the sidekick engine swap come up from time to time. A/C is harder to find in these, and I'm not seeing much in the way of add on kits. I would either need to look for one that at least has most of the components, or has a working system.

Cj7's have always interested me, but seems like many people price them way higher than they are worth. There are some very nice ones out there, and I don’t doubt their value, but the junky ones aren't them and shouldn’t be priced that way. There also seem to be a lot of abused 7's running around. None of the ones I've seen had a/c, looks like it is even more rare than the Sami's.

Wranglers: If I went with a wrangler, it would almost have to be a Tj, I like the coil spring suspension over the leafs. Most of these come with a/c. Dependability should be higher in theory, since they are considerably newer than the Cj's and Sami's. I will have to shop around for what I want, and it may take longer to find one that suits my "wants" since most if not all my budget will go to the purchase price.

Any other suggestions? Any drastically better than the others? Thoughts?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

I have owned a lot of 4x4's and I always come back to the Jeep TJ 98-03. Super reliable, ride great for a Jeep, cheap to build (sorta), and tons of aftermarket. Plus they are just the right size and the soft tops work great. Not to mention probably the first year the AC would actually keep you cool in texas. Do not get a four cylinder. The CJ's can be had cheap but get ready for some work and look out for rust. I put soft doors on my TJ and love the fact I can sling them off in a second.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
      I have owned a lot of 4x4's and I always come back to the Jeep TJ 98-03. Super reliable, ride great for a Jeep, cheap to build (sorta), and tons of aftermarket. Plus they are just the right size and the soft tops work great. Not to mention probably the first year the AC would actually keep you cool in texas. Do not get a four cylinder. The CJ's can be had cheap but get ready for some work and look out for rust. I put soft doors on my TJ and love the fact I can sling them off in a second.
      I agree on all points. The only thing that sucks is that my budget will pretty have to buy one nearly exactly like I would want simply due to the cost of those. I haven't seen the right one priced at my budget, and nor close enough to cover the costs of tires/wheels /lift plus bumpers and whatnot.

An older wrangler would be more cost effective in that regard, and but I just don't LIKE them that much.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

TJ or YJ should fit that description just fine and give you modern conveniences like Fuel Injection and AC to boot.
        2004 Suzuki DL650
        1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Camper shell on the dodge?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            Camper shell on the dodge?
            Got one. I want less roof.

Comment

Recip saw, 2 cases of beer. I have both, see you in 45.

Comment

I have seen a bunch of lifted TJ's in the 8k range lately. I bought mine for around 7600 completely stock but I wanted to build it right. I have a tad bit more into now than I paid for it but I am almost done though.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Samurai with a vw diesel conversion! Now we're talking!

Comment

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Way too hacked up.

Comment

If this was fi and if it has AC it would be perfect.

Another example

Comment

My dipshit cousin had one once with some big ass tires on it. It would actually float in the river.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Ive also added the IH Scout to my list of options.

Comment

You can get into a 4cyl TJ for 8k, you can find some rougher 4.0L TJ's in that price range if you look around. I wouldn't be afraid of mileage on the 4.0L's, so you can cut some costs down on them. Look for leaking rear main seals (easy fix, but very common) and cooling issues, so make sure you do a long test drive. I would also recommend a TJ over a YJ given your budget. 4 cylinders are not bad jeeps, you just probably will be limited to 33" tires for streetability, but don't overlook them.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X