DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Armory

The Armory The definitive firearms forum of DFW Mustangs.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
00bolt
Time Served

Default First gun - CHL

I know right off the bat, im probably going to get flamed here, but Im serious and looking for advice.

I do not own a gun and honestly, never have except for a .22 I bought for my son when he started going out to a friend's land to shoot a little.

That being said, with all the mess going on in todays world, i was thinking of getting a couple. Im not really into hunting and honestly, never really thought a whole lot about having a gun for protection. I figure now is as good a time as any, and with all the talk going on, Id rather play it safe and get some now while its not an issue.

That being said, I was thinking of taking the CHL classes and getting my license and getting something small I could carry and conceal. Also thought about a shotgun for home security. Thats really all I had in mind, maybe one rifle of some sort for if/when i ever go hunting or shooting at a range with some friends.

I think first and foremost, i was wanting a handgun. But I do not know ANYTHING about them. I mean, I have heard of glock, walther, etc but other than names, I really dont know much about them at all. What is a good first handgun for CHL? I dont think id really carry it around everywhere and everytime, but Id like something small so that I could when I wanted. I dont typically wear a bunch of layers of clothes, so im not really even certain how to carry these things to be honest.

Im sure alot of my questions will be answered when I take some classes and do some more research, but im really just here looking for some general advice on what type/model gun to look into?

thanks ahead of time
00bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
onemeangixxer7502
Lifer

Guns are all personal preference my suggestion is buy the most gun you can with in your budget. Go to the store hold a few and check them out and read a bit.
onemeangixxer7502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
whitetrash
trailer park royalty

Send a message via AIM to whitetrash

go to a range and rent a few. go with the one your comfortable shooting
05 Jeep tj. Buggy
livin the double-wide dream
whitetrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
BlackGT
Overpaid and Underworked

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash View Post
This, but i'll add that you need to take a firearms safety and shooting course...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
BlackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
CJ
User is editing post

How about you come to one of the get togethers and shoot a whole slew of guns and see which you like? We could set something up around the first of the year if you guys like.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
2165 Turbo Rail
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
How about you come to one of the get togethers and shoot a whole slew of guns and see which you like? We could set something up around the first of the year if you guys like.
I'd be in on this deal... I was actually thinking about going to the range today in Lewisville and renting a few 380's to see what I like best... I've been looking at the LCP because its sooooo small but I want to shoot a few similar options first
2165 Turbo Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
CJ
User is editing post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
I'd be in on this deal... I was actually thinking about going to the range today in Lewisville and renting a few 380's to see what I like best... I've been looking at the LCP because its sooooo small but I want to shoot a few similar options first
The Sig P238 and P938 are fantastic shooters, but they are expensive. I figured I'd mention it, but if you're looking at an LCP I would think it isn't what you're looking for. The LCP's work fine, they just are not "fun" to shoot. I can bring one to a get together and you can try both.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
2165 Turbo Rail
Lifer

I've heard this a couple times.... I don't see myself going to a range a lot or anything like that.. I literally just want it for a CCW

I have a little 25 that I carry when I am going to buy or sell anything but since I don't have my CHL I don't always carry it...
I know that the 25 is too little.. but it's also better than nothing...
2165 Turbo Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
dville_gt
top alcohol funny car

Quote:
I've heard this a couple times.... I don't see myself going to a range a lot or anything like that.. I literally just want it for a CCW

I have a little 25 that I carry when I am going to buy or sell anything but since I don't have my CHL I don't always carry it...
I have an LCP and like it for CCW (can fit in a pocket easily).
dville_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
DallasSleeper
Unapologetically American

I was going to say go to DFW gun range where you can hold an assortment, and then rent the ones you like and shoot them, but CJ is on to something...
DallasSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
CJ
User is editing post

Quote:

Yeah, I can respect that. But, also you can make the case that the more you shoot it, the better you're going to be with it. If it sucks to shoot, chances are you're not going to have much experience shooting it. If you're interested I'll bring an LCP and a P938 and you can try them both out.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
GeorgeG.
Lifer

depending on which range it would be at, I'd be in for a range gtg.

To the OP, I have a Bersa .380 that I use for my CCW. It literally fits in my front pocket but is still big enough to have a good grip while holding/shooting it.

I don't really wear a lot of layers or baggy clothes so I've had difficulties concealing the .45(except when it's cold outside) plus the added weight gets tiresome.
GeorgeG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
CJ
User is editing post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG. View Post
depending on which range it would be at, I'd be in for a range gtg.
I was going to use my range, which is in Alvarado, right at 35/67.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
GeorgeG.
Lifer

Quote:
I was going to use my range, which is in Alvarado, right at 35/67.
I'm in GP so I'd be cool with that. Just need plenty of notice so I, or the wife, doesn't book something on that day.
GeorgeG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
CJ
User is editing post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG. View Post
I'm in GP so I'd be cool with that. Just need plenty of notice so I, or the wife, doesn't book something on that day.
I was thinking about early January, so everyone can play with their new xmas, anyone else interest in another GTG?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
00bolt
Time Served

thanks everyone... so im assuming a .380 is a pretty popular size huh?
00bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
onemeangixxer7502
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00bolt View Post
thanks everyone... so im assuming a .380 is a pretty popular size huh?
its ok, I some times carry a keltec .380. Not a bad little pistol
onemeangixxer7502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
LS1Goat
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash View Post
good advice.

my daily ccw is a ruger lc9. really have grown to like sub compact.

Last edited by LS1Goat; 12-18-2012 at 12:35 AM.
LS1Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member

Quote:
The Sig P238 and P938 are fantastic shooters, but they are expensive. I figured I'd mention it, but if you're looking at an LCP I would think it isn't what you're looking for. The LCP's work fine, they just are not "fun" to shoot. I can bring one to a get together and you can try both.
That is the primary reason I got the TCP rather than the LCP, it doesnt fit in my hand.
Quote:

Ill bring my TCP, I actually like shooting it.

AND I'll be bringingn the 30-30, I want to ring the bell open sights. It pissed me off last time when I ran out of ammo.
Baron Von Crowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #20
Quadforce
Time Served

sounds interesting I would like to attend this event. I have an xd subcompact 3" barrel in .40 that would be a great gun for concelled carry. Much like yourself I have started with a hand gun that would work for concelled carry and I Have a remington 870 12 gauge and a winchester .270 bolt gun for hunting and a couple .22lr for playing and an AR for playing and possibly hunting.