No announcement yet.

Decided to build a shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did this turn out? Post some pics of the finished shed.

Comment

That $7,100 probably sounds pretty damn cheap now!

Comment

I'll take some more pics and upload them this weekend. I'm actually headed to Houston tonight to pick up the rollup door for it.

So far, including the door, I'm out about $3,500 bucks for materials (no tools). I did have to buy some additional tools so while I'm kind of factoring that in, it's still cheaper than buying one and I learned a ton along the way. I've added a framing nailer and roofing nailer to my arsenal. I'm not going to lie though, there are times I think about what it would be like to have had one delivered, stuff my shit in it and lock it up and call it a weekend.

The most important thing I learned out of this....DO NOT start something like this anytime after October or if we're expecting a wet season. The rain has been an absolute bitch to deal with. If I ever see mother nature...I'm straight up kicking her in the crotch with a steel toe boot. The rain has been the #1 PITA. Just about when it was about to dry out so I could work on it, it would rain again. Then the cold, then having to miss weekends that I was supposed to be at the deer lease. I'm glad it's almost over.

Comment

Done yet?

Comment

While searching for truss designs I came across a YouTube video that explained how to make a jig using the floor. This was a tremendous help. I attempted to use mending plates with the spikes for the joints but hammering them on was ineffective and they were all beat to hell by the time I finished one. I decided to go with OSB board and used construction adhesive and screws for each one..

Finally got them all done. A big shout out to Tx_92_Notch for the length and angle dimensions. It was actually easy because my miter saw had a detent to cut that degree

Trusses going up

Between the rain, cold, and hunting season, I had to work with lights if the task permitted it.

Now I remember why I was trying to get a lower pitched roof. I hate heights and this thing is massive. Fortunately my son in law is young and fearless so he got up there to screw the decking down.

The roll up door was a great decision. Much easier that trying to make doors that won't sag over time. Install was a breeze. All I need now is to finish up the trim work and paint.

I also need to finish roofing. Unfortunately I had to return the scaffolds so I have to do this with the ladder. I also ran into an issue with the tar paper. I left it with just tar paper for about a week and it started to sag before I could shingle it. I guess the sides of the roof is too steep. I had to tear it all off and use the plastic tarp looking underlayment. It's much easier to work with though. I hope to have the roof done this weekend and will post a pic of it.

Overall, aside from the timing and weather, this was well worth the savings. I can't say I'd go with that roof again though.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
              Done yet?
              ha, just uploaded pics

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                Overall, aside from the timing and weather, this was well worth the savings. I can't say I'd go with that roof again though.
                Job well done - it's coming along very nice!

One you've used it for a while you're going to be very glad you went with the barn style roof. So much more interior volume...

Comment

Working...
                X