Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/4 mile tracks?

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
    Runs 5.5's in the 1/8th, long hauled the power tour, getting ready to go on drag week shortly. It's a street driven street car.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/turbo...er-saw-coming/

1,000 hp... That's not the kind of street car I was referring to. I meant like a "real" street car, not race car with drag radials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Payingcustomer View Post
      1,000 hp... That's not the kind of street car I was referring to. I meant like a "real" street car, not race car with drag radials.

Because a stock head/piston 5.3 isn't streetable? Just say it, you want to race stock Camaros, Challengers and trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Payingcustomer View Post

What difference does a high powered car on a drag style tire make? You wouldnt play basketball in high heels, why go to the track without a sticky tire?
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Runs 5.5's in the 1/8th, long hauled the power tour, getting ready to go on drag week shortly. It's a street driven street car.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/turbo...er-saw-coming/

I like the wagon mucho

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post
            Collins Rd. in Garland is 1/4 plus......just sayin
            Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
            Their timing lights seem to be broken...for the last 18 years or so.
            Damn it. Last time I was there they had lots of reds and blues. I got to got see a judge in Garland and paid him to race. Then he said something about losing my privilege to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
              Because a stock head/piston 5.3 isn't streetable? Just say it, you want to race stock Camaros, Challengers and trucks.
              Yeah pretty much. That or pretty much any other car that's not a purpose built race car that has an inspection sticker.
              I have a 95 GT that gets cruised around every now and again on street tires and is making 300 some odd rwhp. Why would I want to race a 1,000 hp car!? My car's name is "Off Frequently." That way when I lose all they can say is, "I beat Off Frequently."
              What difference does a high powered car on a drag style tire make? You wouldnt play basketball in high heels, why go to the track without a sticky tire?
              No, no I would not. The drag radial thing was in reference to how they are the only thing making it a "street car."
              You know a street car, no ladder bars etc. Yes 1,000 hp is impressive but out of my league and scene.

Comment

Did their used to be more 1/4 mile tracks than 1/8 mile (not just DFW but in general) or has the 1/8 mile always been the majority?
                I wonder if auto manufactures will ever start listing 1/8 mile times in ads instead of 1/4?

Comment

NHRA and IHRA tracks that host national events are almost always 1/4 mile. The Motorplex, HRP, Tulsa, Gilliam, Belle Rose, Thunder Valley and Baytown are the division 4 1/4 mile tracks. Lone Star in Sealey and the San Antonio Raceway are the "local" IHRA 1/4 mile tracks.

Some of those 1/8 mile tracks used to be 1/4 mile but cars have gotten a whole lot faster since they were built. In the early 70s a pro stock car ran low 9s at around 150 mph. In the late 80s they were running 7.20s at 170ish. Today they run mid 6s at close to 210 mph.

As you can imagine it's a whole lot harder to stop a 210 mph car than a 150 mph one. They need that other 1/8 mile for a shut down lane. Look at Denton for a great example. It's always been an 1/8 mile track and they don't have any room to expand since there is a go kart track at the end and a service road on the other. They used to have a mandatory chute rule for most of their classes because they've had cars go off the end into the go kart track. 30 years ago it could have been a 1/4 mile track.

Comment

NHRA and IHRA tracks that host national events are almost always 1/4 mile. The Motorplex, HRP, Tulsa, Gilliam, Belle Rose, Thunder Valley and Baytown are the division 4 1/4 mile tracks. Lone Star in Sealey and the San Antonio Raceway are the "local" IHRA 1/4 mile tracks.

Some of those 1/8 mile tracks used to be 1/4 mile but cars have gotten a whole lot faster since they were built. In the early 70s a pro stock car ran low 9s at around 150 mph. In the late 80s they were running 7.20s at 170ish. Today they run mid 6s at close to 210 mph.

As you can imagine it's a whole lot harder to stop a 210 mph car than a 150 mph one. They need that other 1/8 mile for a shut down lane. Look at Denton for a great example. It's always been an 1/8 mile track and they don't have any room to expand since there is a go kart track at the end and a service road on the other. They used to have a mandatory chute rule for most of their classes because they've had cars go off the end into the go kart track. 30 years ago it could have been a 1/4 mile track.

Gotcha, thanks.

Comment

my coupe has full stock type suspension front and back makes 480 at the wheels runs mid 6's and still has ac that works. I'm an engine block and pulley change away from making close to 800 rw. Is this a street car? Lol
                      Originally posted by soap
                      i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

Also insurance rates go way way up for 1/4 mile tracks nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by ktm300hater View Post
                          my coupe has full stock type suspension front and back makes 480 at the wheels runs mid 6's and still has ac that works. I'm an engine block and pulley change away from making close to 800 rw. Is this a street car? Lol
                          MUST BE ON DRAG RADIALS!!!! Purpose built drag car!
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

MUST BE ON DRAG RADIALS!!!! Purpose built drag car!
                            Well the mods appear to be purposely built for drag racing.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                              Well the mods appear to be purposely built for drag racing.
                              It drives around town way more than it sees a dragstrip.
                              Originally posted by soap
                              i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

Why be content with just running those times. Yeah got to start somewhere but y not go faster. And plenty of the guys running around are street cars and run hard.
                                99 Mustang Project JSTA2V
                                going from really slow to just alittle slow

2013 Focus ST the daily cruising the 4 banger

Comment

Working...
                                X