84 Lumber owner is pro-Trump, pro-wall despite Super Bowl ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84 Lumber owner is pro-Trump, pro-wall despite Super Bowl ad

The CEO of the hardware company that injected itself into the national debate over immigration with an ambiguous yet polarizing Super Bowl commercial declared that she supports President Trump but didn’t intend to foster division with the ad.

Maggie Hardy Magerko, owner and CEO of 84 Lumber, told People magazine that she backs Trump’s proposed border wall with Mexico but didn’t intend to take a political stand with the emotional advertisement.

She acknowledged that the commercial’s message’s were “in the eyes of the beholder,” reflecting the broad range of reactions to the ad, including praise and criticism from immigration proponents and wall supporters alike.

“We need to keep America safe,” Magerko told People. “America needs to be safe so you and I can have the liberty to talk… The wall, I think it represents, to me, security. I like security.”

84 Lumber ad on immigration spurs debate after Super Bowl
    She added: “This came from the heart and I didn’t do it for personal gain. It’s not about me or my beliefs or the wall, it’s about individuals… treating people with dignity and respect.”

Debate over the ad stemmed in part from differences in the 90-second televised version and the nearly 6-minute uncut version posted online.

After Super Bowl watchers crashed the company’s website and erupted in conversation over the ad, the company rushed to clarify its intent, even as the swirling debate appeared to accomplish the elusive goal of generating social media buzz.

Magerko said Sunday in a statement that she backed Trump’s proposed “big, beautiful door in the wall so that people can come into this country legally.”

The televised version of the ad shows a mother and her daughter making an arduous journey, navigating treacherous terrain together, in a moving depiction of immigration's harsh realities.

At the end it directed millions of viewers to 84 Lumber's website for the full version, which tells a much different story. The uncut film ends with the family encountering an imposing wall at the border to the U.S.

Stymied, the mother breaks down crying. She hugs her young daughter before spotting an opening in the wall, a huge door. The mother and daughter push it open and run through.

The commercial then cuts to a man driving down the highway with tools and lumber in the back of his truck, having apparently just built the door.

"The will to succeed is always welcome here," the uncut film declares in a message not included in the televised version. 84 Lumber said Fox “banned” the full version from airing.

The ad’s release comes as 84 Lumber plans to open 20 new stores and hire “hundreds” of employees in 2017.

Follow USA TODAY reporter Nathan Bomey on Twitter @NathanBomey.

I cant believe they actually allowed that to play...they must have paid some very good $ to let it Fly
    Originally posted by Da Prez
    Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
    Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Thats a load of crap.

I'll never shop at 84 Lumber
      Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

That's a bunch of bull....

Someone had a leftist hissy fit and now is starting to reap the backlash.

Comment

I just watched the ad and I have no idea what its trying to tell me.

Comment

Your average liberal idiot can't balance a checkbook much less hammer a nail. I think they figured out that their target demographic wasn't liberals. Fucking morons.
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Originally posted by racrguy
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

"Didn't intend to make a political stand" Uh really ? That was a very expensive commercial to produce and buy air time for. I think ya'll are right. She totally missed their companies demographics and this is a huge back pedal. They wont see a dime of mine..
              I cruised over to their Facebook page. They have a very active moderator responding to a lot of threads...
              Last edited by dcs13; 02-08-2017, 08:22 PM. Reason: added

Comment

I think immigration is great! I have an idea to make almost everyone happy:

For every illegal immigrant deported, let's bring in one who's been on the 10 year long waitlist and has remained in their country. We do this until we have let them enter up to our yearly quota. That's pro-immigrant and legal.

To deport most of the rest basically for free:

We could give a path to citizenship as an incentive to those who never broke the laws of this country by entering illegally. Those who do enter illegally may never be eligible for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                  They wont see a dime of mine..
                  why not?
                  WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                    why not?
                    Because like them, I can choose where to spend my money. I prefer to take my business to companies that either 1) share my love of America 2) are smart enough not to mix politics with business.
                    And if you must, do they even have a store near here?

Comment

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Murph Tang View Post
                        Thats a load of crap.

I'll never shop at 84 Lumber
                        Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                        "Didn't intend to make a political stand" Uh really ? That was a very expensive commercial to produce and buy air time for. I think ya'll are right. She totally missed their companies demographics and this is a huge back pedal. They wont see a dime of mine..
                        I cruised over to their Facebook page. They have a very active moderator responding to a lot of threads...
                        Maybe I interpreted the ad wrong but it sounds like they're just supporting immigration legally, no?

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
                        I just watched the ad and I have no idea what its trying to tell me.
                        I'm thinking the same thing... Although based on some quotes in the OP's article, I have a question. This quote here..

"Magerko said Sunday in a statement that she backed Trump’s proposed “big, beautiful door in the wall so that people can come into this country legally.”

Was this something that Trump actually said? If so, my take is that they support the wall but they also support the law where you can still enter this country through legal means that are already in place? Does anyone else take it this way?

Comment

Was lumber not used to build the wall? I think they tried to make it look like steel and hardee board. Only the gate looked like their lumber.

Comment

Working...
                          X