Bleeding brakes on a 97 Tahoe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleeding brakes on a 97 Tahoe.

Trying to get pedal pressure on a 97 Tahoe. Had a rear wheel cylinder blow out and lost fluid. Installed new wheel cylinders on both back brakes and new front Disc pads. Bled brakes like I have done for last 25 years and couldn't get any pedal pressure. Installed new master and re-bled 5 different times and still no pressure. Goes to the floor. Any ideas? Only thing I am not familiar with is the Tahoe has a hydro boost brake system. Is there a different method I need to use to get pedal pressure? The brake pressure was fine before the wheel cylinder blew out. It is not leaking fluid anywhere so I doubt air is getting back in the lines. Bench bled the master and also gravity bled the whole system.

I would suspect an issue with the ABS module.

Comment

Is it a diesel? That's the only one that should have hydroboost. The brake circuit is pretty much exactly the same regardless though. It'll either have a vacuum booster or a power steering fluid adding pressure behind the master cylinder.

You should find someone with a Tech2 or ABS test software with a comparable scanner and use it's bleeding function. It can be done without a scanner but it's a pain in the ass. You'll never get it bled properly without bleeding the ABS modulator.

Why air bubbles trapped inside an ABS brake system cause problems and how to bleed the ABS system to get rid of the air.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply but it turns out there is a valve on the ABS module you also have to bleed. Got good brakes now. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Good to know, is that something you need to do on all abs cars?

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
            Good to know, is that something you need to do on all abs cars?
            Generally speaking no. Most ABS systems run on a separate hydraulic circuit that only connects to the regular brakes when activated. So if you replace a caliper, master cylinder or other normal items you only need to bleed the affected circuit. If you somehow managed to activate the ABS with a massive leak though you may need to.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X