No announcement yet.

Robert Harward Nat'l Security Advisor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Harward Nat'l Security Advisor?

I'm on-board with this, I hope Adm Harward is too. He sounds perfect for the job.
    http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/02/15/...ampaign=buffer

President Donald Trump offered the job of national security advisor to retired Vice Adm. Robert Harward on Monday night, and was a bit surprised when Harward responded by saying he needed a couple of days to think it over.

If, as expected, Harward accepts the job today, he is likely to bring in his own team, from deputy on down, with a focus on national security types with some experience under their belts.

I think he would look especially to people he knows from his time working for the George W. Bush NSC from 2003 to 2005. No more Fox News talking heads. Instead, I think he would try to take a Scowcroftian approach to trying to run the interagency policy formulation process — deliberate, rigorous, careful. Just how that will fit with the style of the Twitterer-in-Chief, I don’t know.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see J.D. Crouch and David Trachtenberg appear at the White House gate in the next few days, with Crouch the leading candidate to be Harward’s deputy. Perhaps also Juan Zarate and Mike Singh.

Harward is, like the ousted Michael Flynn, a retired military flag officer. But I think he would be very different from Flynn.

Most importantly, he is not an ideologue, as Flynn seemed to have become in the last few years. Harward thinks of himself as a national security professional — and indeed once served on the NSC staff, during the Bush Administration. Before that, early in the Afghan war, he headed the Special Operations task force in Kandahar.

Harward also would work well with Defense Secretary James Mattis. When Mattis was chief of Central Command, Harward was his deputy. Mattis trusted him enough to put him in charge of planning for war with Iran. Mattis has urged Harward to take the NSA job.

If Harward becomes NSA, Mattis would emerge from the Flynn mess in a uniquely powerful position: He would have two of his former deputies at the table in some meetings. The other one is John Kelly, now secretary for Homeland Security, who was his number two when Mattis commanded a Marine division early in the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

At this point, Mattis has far greater influence over former military officers than the president does. His presence at the Pentagon is the sole reason some are considering climbing aboard Trump’s sinking ship.
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

I can go for that.

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
      I'm on-board with this, I hope Adm Harward is too. He sounds perfect for the job.
      http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/02/15/...ampaign=buffer

President Donald Trump offered the job of national security advisor to retired Vice Adm. Robert Harward on Monday night, and was a bit surprised when Harward responded by saying he needed a couple of days to think it over.

If, as expected, Harward accepts the job today, he is likely to bring in his own team, from deputy on down, with a focus on national security types with some experience under their belts.

I think he would look especially to people he knows from his time working for the George W. Bush NSC from 2003 to 2005. No more Fox News talking heads. Instead, I think he would try to take a Scowcroftian approach to trying to run the interagency policy formulation process — deliberate, rigorous, careful. Just how that will fit with the style of the Twitterer-in-Chief, I don’t know.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see J.D. Crouch and David Trachtenberg appear at the White House gate in the next few days, with Crouch the leading candidate to be Harward’s deputy. Perhaps also Juan Zarate and Mike Singh.

Harward is, like the ousted Michael Flynn, a retired military flag officer. But I think he would be very different from Flynn.

Most importantly, he is not an ideologue, as Flynn seemed to have become in the last few years. Harward thinks of himself as a national security professional — and indeed once served on the NSC staff, during the Bush Administration. Before that, early in the Afghan war, he headed the Special Operations task force in Kandahar.

Harward also would work well with Defense Secretary James Mattis. When Mattis was chief of Central Command, Harward was his deputy. Mattis trusted him enough to put him in charge of planning for war with Iran. Mattis has urged Harward to take the NSA job.

If Harward becomes NSA, Mattis would emerge from the Flynn mess in a uniquely powerful position: He would have two of his former deputies at the table in some meetings. The other one is John Kelly, now secretary for Homeland Security, who was his number two when Mattis commanded a Marine division early in the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

At this point, Mattis has far greater influence over former military officers than the president does. His presence at the Pentagon is the sole reason some are considering climbing aboard Trump’s sinking ship.
      Trump's sinking ship? I really wish some of these tools would save the stupid fucking commentary.

Comment

I took that as Scott's own commentary.
        THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
          Trump's sinking ship? I really wish some of these tools would save the stupid fucking commentary.
          foreignpolicy dot com is owned by Graham Holdings, formerly the Washington Post company.

The Washington Post was sold to Jeff Bezos

Who's other company, Amazon, got a $600 million contract from the CIA.

The CIA and other intel agencies and legions of liberal .gov bureaucrats are fighting tooth and nail to make Trump's ship a sinking one, so theirs doesn't get rocked.

Liberal idealogues, the mainstream media they own, and the deep state.

Following the money shows why the "news" always has that certain stench to it.
          Last edited by sc281; 02-15-2017, 01:31 PM.

Comment

all the "i's" "i think" etc.
            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

the bias in the media is horrible.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Yeah, the author is obviously no Trump fan. They were doing pretty good up to that point though.
                Originally posted by naynay View Post
                I took that as Scott's own commentary.
                Nah. I wouldn't call it a sinking ship. He could definitely use a better damage control party though.
                Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                foreignpolicy dot com is owned by Graham Holdings, formerly the Washington Post company.

The Washington Post was sold to Jeff Bezos

Who's other company, Amazon, got a $600 million contract from the CIA.

The CIA and other intel agencies and legions of liberal .gov bureaucrats are fighting tooth and nail to make Trump's ship a sinking one, so theirs doesn't get rocked.

Liberal idealogues, the mainstream media they own, and the deep state.

Following the money shows why the "news" always has that certain stench to it.
                Yessir!
                Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                the bias in the media is horrible.
                Also yessir!
                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

The thing is, they aren't fooling anybody with this bullshit. It didn't work before the election and it isn't going to work now.
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                    The thing is, they aren't fooling anybody with this bullshit. It didn't work before the election and it isn't going to work now.
                    Keep that shit on the DL man... they still haven't figured it out yet and we don't want to go fucking that up now!
                    Originally posted by stevo
                    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Well, shit. He turned down the job.
                      https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...id=91686597689

Comment

beat me to it, that press conference today did it for him, lol.

THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                          beat me to it, that press conference today did it for him, lol.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...045cd34c02d22?
                          It wasn't the press conference.

More likely this...

"Harward and the White House may have disagreed on key issues, like staffing at the National Security Council. A source close to the situation told The Huffington Post that Harward wanted more freedom to bring in his own staff. Flynn’s former deputy, K.T. McFarland, had been expected to leave the administration after Flynn’s resignation, but it became clear on Thursday that Trump wanted her to stay. "

Comment

Working...
                          X