Bad luck or bad lifter(s)? Cup came out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad luck or bad lifter(s)? Cup came out

I was breaking in a new cam in a fresh build and to my horror I could hear a loud ticking after a few minutes of running.

Long story short I pull off the intake and found one lifter with the cup sitting sideways next to the pushrod.

What may have caused this? Bad lifter(s)? Maybe I didn't set the preload correctly? These were new comp hydro lifters. Can is new too. Luckily the cam looks fine and the lifter face looks fine too.

Should I get a new lifter? Or try to put it back together?

1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Go with new. I would really think about a different brand and do all 16. See if you can send the faulty one back. GL
    Two in the pink and one in the stink

Comment

Shit like this is what happens when manufactures source precision parts from China. See if you can find some lifters made by Eaton. I believe that they are still made in the USA.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Rhodes lifters FTW! I do believe that they are still made in the USA!
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

You got it , lifter preload (none) is what done it. I wished
          I could say "I never did that"! I never found the retainer spring too.

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
            You got it , lifter preload (none) is what done it. I wished
            I could say "I never did that"! I never found the retainer spring too.
            Lack of proper preload is what I've hear so far.

Comment

BTW they were comp lifters. I accept that I may have not set the preload correctly. Vatozone has a single comp 832 lifter for 7 bucks so I just ordered one and an intake gasket and try again

Comment

Working...
              X