Remington 700 build up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remington 700 build up.

Right after Thanksgiving I bought a Remington 700 ADL in .308 with the intention of converting it to a 6.5 Creedmoor for a precision rifle build. After talking with Aaron at Roberts Precision Rifles, we both decided my money would go further in one of his custom built Defiance Deviant actions. SHOT show is right around the corner and Aaron is getting ready to spend the next 2 weeks in Vegas. Like any other custom rifle builder, I'm sure his return from SHOT show will be met with a log of rifle builds. Since he and I haven't finalized my build, I wanted something I could enter matches with till my custom rifle was built.

After spending some time at the range with the 700 ADL, it's evident that the ADL is geared towards someone with a small budget but needs a quality rifle. I'm finding the action is feeling smoother as more rounds are fired and the action is cycled. Machining a bolt and action can get expensive quick so for now I'm going to have Aaron replace the stock bolt knob with something a little larger and more ergonomic.

I felt one of the biggest downfalls of the ADL was the injection molded plastic stock. You can feel the movement in the stock when you fire it and the rifle just feels cheap. After some research, I feel I've found the perfect stock for a budget minded individual that will not only add rigidity to the rifle but enhance the over all feel. The Bell & Carlson Medalist Verticle Grip Tactical will be the new home for my action and barrel. I've opted for the olive green with black web color.

I also managed to pick up a gently used Remington 700 SPS bull barrel for $100 which I plan on using to replace the stock sporter barrel. While the 1:12 twist is less than ideal for a 20" barrel, it's adequate enough to allow for the use of 175gr Sierra Match King projectiles and still provide additional rigidity over the stock barrel. Both barrel and action will be bedded to the stock.

Shooting in any form of competitive match is going to be difficult with a blind mag configuration and when stages are timed, quality mags can make it break you. Which is why I've decided to go with a Pacific Tool & Gauge M5 stealth bottom metal to convert the 700 ADL to a box mag. The PTG metal uses AICS mags which while expensive, definitely have a good reputation. The best part about it, the conversion kit and 5rd mag were less than $200.

I don't expect to go out and shoot in the PRS with this setup but I believe it will be an improvement over the stock configuration without breaking the bank.

This weekend I'll head down to Aaron's shop just outside of Houston to drop these components off and talk more about the 6.5 CM build. I'll have more pictures upon completion of this.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Looks like a good place to start.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Woke up this morning and made the trip down to Roberts Precision Rifles in Houston. From the moment I arrived, Aaron took time to show me around the shop and walked me through a couple rifles he's currently building. We talked for about 2 hours and we went over every aspect of my Remington 700 and what I want in a custom built rifle. He started off having me tell him what I want to do with my 700 and then asked several questions about it. It was evident that Aaron wanted me to get the most for my money and he wasn't trying to sell me one work or service that wasn't needed. He walked me through his process every step of work he's doing on this rifle. I can't say enough good things about how comfortable and confident he made me feel in the decisions we made for this build.

The scope of work has changed slightly and we're doing the following:
      Inlet the stock & installing bottom metal.
      Installing Timney 510 trigger.
      Installing custom RPR bolt knob.

Test fitting the SPS barrel. We decided that it was going to be best for him to put the new barrel on and check for headspacing. If it headspaces correctly then we'll bed the action. If it doesn't, he's going to put the original barrel back on and I'll shoot that barrel till I decide to buy a custom barrel. The reason we've made this decision is because of what it'll cost for the machine work to be done if it doesn't headspace correctly. You add the cost I paid for the barrel, plus the cost of machining, and I could easily be into a custom barrel that'll shoot 100x better than any Remington barrel.

Whatever barrel gets put on will be laser boresighted.

In regards to my 6.5CM build, I'll start that build after I get into a house here in a few months.
      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

Remington 700 build up.

SHOT show has ended and Aaron has returned to the shop and started on my rifle. He called me on Wednesday with some good news and bad news. The good news was the SPS barrel I bought didn't head space short but the bad news was it head spaced long and would need some time in the lathe. Machine work gets expensive real quick and for what it would cost to machine this barrel, I could almost have a a custom barrel. So I ordered a Bartlein barrel from Southern Precision Rifles today and will have it shipped to be fitted and installed by Aaron. My stock is out for inletting at the moment and should be back soon. I'm hoping to pick up this rifle in the next few weeks.

This is more than I originally planned on doing with this rifle but I'm about to close on a house and will have to put off my 6.5 Creedmoor build for a little while. I am drawing the line trying this action. I'll probably find a used Vortex scope for this rifle at some point but that's about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

What contour barrel did you go with? Need a review on the ptg bottom metal as I might be going that route on my build until a Manners can be bought.

Comment

Remington varmint/sendero contour.

Comment

I was down in Houston again today for work and I stopped by RPRifles to drop some prepayment (my own choosing) and to check on my rifle. The stock is out for inletting and should be back in the next week or two, the knew bolt knob has been installed and looks great, and the barrel is in and awaiting the lathe. I don't have any pics yet but the rifle should be complete in the next 3 weeks, barring any setbacks.

Comment

It's been several months since my last update so here it is. Made the trip down to Spring to pickup my rifle and let me tell you, the workmanship on this rifle is incredible. There are several things on the build that changed from the original discussion and I couldn't be happier with how the rifle turned out.

Final build specs:
                Remington 700 .308
                Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist stock - inletted for Precision Tool & Gauge bottom metal
                Timney trigger adjusted to 2.5lbs
                22" Bartlein 5R barrel with an 11.25 twist bedded in the stock and threaded with a RPR muzzle brake timed to the rifle.
                RPR bolt knob.
                The action and bolt have been trued.
                Cerakote finish on the rifle.

Saturday morning I took the Intro to Competition Precision rifles that Aaron Roberts teaches and within minutes of zeroing my rifle, I was on target, banging steel at 500 yards. Something I had never done before and we were shooting 500 yards all day long in an 8-12 mph wind. I came away with a lot of good information and exercises to practice to make me a better shooter.

The two things I need for the rifle are flush cups for my sling and better glass.

Comment

Looks good. What are in the market for for glass?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I've had my eye on the Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR or XRS with the G2 reticle but Kahles has sparked my interest with their new SMKR II reticle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet ass!
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Flush cups are awesome, every rifle I get from now on will have them.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                          Flush cups are awesome, every rifle I get from now on will have them.
                          Picked up the Rifles Only FTW sling with HK clips thinking I could get away with those and a swivel stud adapter. Nope, didn't work like I hoped. Getting flush cups this time.

Comment

I have a tab right now and I think I'm going to try a short action precision sling next.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                              I have a tab right now and I think I'm going to try a short action precision sling next.
                              Is that who's making the FTW slings?

Comment

Working...
                              X