What to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to get?

I've been looking for a 4x4 and I'm looking for something around 4K. Looks like early 00's trucks with 200k plus miles are the norm for that amount. I don't know anything about 4x4s, but what's some tips to look out for? Only stick to Fords, Chevys and Jeeps? I dunno? Any advice would be appreciated.

You can get a decent Cherokee for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
      You can get a decent Cherokee for that.
      Anything I should watch out for, any special things to look for when looking at 4x4s other than the normal oil leaks, seams and stuff that applies to buying any other car? I would assume that aftermarket is strong for any kind of Jeep?

Comment

4runner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Geo\Chevrolet Tracker.
          sigpic

Comment

Are you looking for a truck specifically, or just a 4x4?

I sold my 90 Bronco for $4k a few years ago (bought it for $2k a couple of years earlier and did a little work on it).. If I was looking to spend about the same amount for a 4x4 I would likely get another.

Before the lift:

After a week in the mountains:

Comment

That Bronco would be perfect, I love that thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
                Anything I should watch out for, any special things to look for when looking at 4x4s other than the normal oil leaks, seams and stuff that applies to buying any other car? I would assume that aftermarket is strong for any kind of Jeep?
                Try and get one with 150k on it and check for rear main leaks, AC leaks, death wobble and the ccooling system. They are solid SUVs that you can mod for days.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
                  That Bronco would be perfect, I love that thing!
                  Try and get one with 150k on it and check for rear main leaks, AC leaks, death wobble and the ccooling system. They are solid SUVs that you can mod for days.
                  It's a little work to find a decent one for a good price, but they are out there if you are willing to take the time to look. I looked for one that had some issues to be addressed, but primarily minor stuff that can be easily replaced.

There are a lot of guys with huge piles of shit trying to get $4k plus, which is why I ended up going down to a lower price point with the understanding that there would be things that needed fixing right away. I got pretty lucky though, as mine had been in CA most of it's life, and was regularly serviced / repaired at dealerships.

The great thing is that there are so many compatible models, parts are plentiful. Bronco, F150 and F250 shared most of the same body and interior pieces, and a number span multiple body styles.

Comment

Good advice...
                    Originally posted by Chili View Post
                    It's a little work to find a decent one for a good price, but they are out there if you are willing to take the time to look. I looked for one that had some issues to be addressed, but primarily minor stuff that can be easily replaced.

There are a lot of guys with huge piles of shit trying to get $4k plus, which is why I ended up going down to a lower price point with the understanding that there would be things that needed fixing right away. I got pretty lucky though, as mine had been in CA most of it's life, and was regularly serviced / repaired at dealerships.

The great thing is that there are so many compatible models, parts are plentiful. Bronco, F150 and F250 shared most of the same body and interior pieces, and a number span multiple body styles.
                    I'm not anxious to jump on the first one I see, so I'll take me time and that right one will show up. I'm am wanting something that does have a lot of parts available, the Lincoln is a mother to find pieces for...ugh...

Comment

samurai.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                        samurai.
                        first time i ever took my buggy to the 360 trails a dude offered me straight up his samurai for my rig.. i should have taken it and ran.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                          samurai.
                          Do it!

sigpic

Comment

That Sami is nice!

Comment

Friend in HS had a Tracker, that little turd was so much fun. It easily fit down the 4 wheeler trails that the bigger trucks/Jeeps couldn't go.
                              Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Working...
                              X