Wiring question on batter relocation. Breakers for alt,batt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring question on batter relocation. Breakers for alt,batt

Was planning on running breakers on the alt side and the battery side. Was thinking 300 amp for the battery but not sure what to get for the alt.

It's 105 amp gm battery running 4 gauge back to the dissconect switch. Would you go 150 amp or 200?

105 amp & 4 ga cable, protect it with a 100a breaker. If it's a GM 105 rated unit, it'll never get to 105 amps. What's the largest draw on the battery? Starter. Protect accordingly. If the starter draws 70 amps, figure a 100a breaker. You are running full length cables on the positive & negative side, aren't you?

Comment

Not sure if I'll run the ground all the way to the front. We will see, I'll start with it in the back and some added grounds up front.

1/0 will goto a distribution post that will feed the starter and a.fuse block, fan relays, ecu etc. Just like normal.

Comment

I'm about to relocate the battery in my notch to the trunk as well but I didn't like that the kits I found didn't have full run 1/0 AWG wire from the trunk to the engine for the ground... only came with a few feet for ground. So I decided to piece my kit together which cost me a little over $200 I think. I got a Taylor aluminum box, 25' red 1/0 AWG, 25' black 1/0 AWG, a bag of lugs, and a 150 amp breaker. That should give me enough to have good grounds to both the engine as well as the trunk and frame rail.
        Originally posted by stevo
        Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Sounds like we are doing the same bird dog.

Taylor box for group 75 battery I'm going to run the xs power s925 battery. I'm gunna try the shorter ground first but will prob end up running it up front too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
            Not sure if I'll run the ground all the way to the front. We will see, I'll start with it in the back and some added grounds up front.

Is this an injected vehicle? If so, you need to run both cables to the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzwell View Post
              Is this an injected vehicle? If so, you need to run both cables to the motor.
              This, do it once and be done.

Comment

Taylor decided to send me the wrong size rods for the box. So waiting on them to get me the right stuff. Our local all thread sucks, and I wouldn't trust it to do shit.

What size ground Cable do you suggest then to run to the front? Same as power?

Comment

Taylor decided to send me the wrong size rods for the box. So waiting on them to get me the right stuff. Our local all thread sucks, and I wouldn't trust it to do shit.

I'm not sure you'll see anything negative (other than weight/cost) about going to a full 1/0 AWG on both + and - but you could have problems going too small for sure... I went with the 1/0 on both.

Stevo

Comment

yep, same size. How long a run do you have to make?

Comment

The 1/0 power should be under 10 feet. Running it to a distribution block under the dash.

Ground would prob be 12ish feet to front of car

Comment

I got 25' of this in black, plus another 25' of red (cause they didn't sell it shorter).

This is the breaker I got.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                          EPDM insulation is not suited for use in an application where it could be exposed to, oil, gas, acids, or coolant. It also doesn't like heat.

Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                            EPDM insulation is not suited for use in an application where it could be exposed to, oil, gas, acids, or coolant. It also doesn't like heat.

Truth. Go to your local NAPA, you can buy whatever you need by the foot.
                            I'd run the hot to your Dist. block, ground to one of the bell housing bolts, close to the starter.

Comment

Is running a full length ground really necessary?

OEMs ground factory rear mounts to the chassis.
                              Last edited by NoClassic; 12-16-2016, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X