AR Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR Question

So I bought some Magpul stuff including a Magpul ASAP QD sling attachment. I borrowed an AR wrench from a buddy of mine (need to buy one!) and I couldn't get the castle nut loose. I don't have a block to mount it on so I put it in my vice covered with some towels and still couldn't wrench it off (I was worried about damaging anything because the wrench was getting into the threads). Is this thing staked down? I've heard the term and I'm pretty sure I know what it means but I have never seen it before. Rifle is a Colt LE6920 for reference.

Looks staked down to me... see that divot where the castle nut is touching the back plate (the part you want to replace), it looks like it's staked there and likely on the other side as well. You need a vise block for it to really keep it in place.
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

That's a really good stake too it's gonna take a lot to bust that shit loose
      Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
      It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

carefully take a dremel and grind out the stake..probably more than just the one. Should spin right off. However, the manufacturer probably did that so beware, all warranties on that rifle are going to be off the minute you do that so you own it all going forward. good luck!

Comment

Fuck a bunch of that. I should have researched this a little more before going "the cheap route".

Comment

Don't sweat the warranty. It's an AR. You can always fix whatever is wrong yourself easily enough and make the gun exactly how you want it.

Also don't sweat damaging or destroying that buffer tube. They are cheap enough to replace. I actually found ATI ones I got from Cabela's to have a nice finish and be well made for $54 with a buffer, spring, endplate and castle nut. A little over priced and you can always find cheaper but these are well built.
            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Buy a bigger wrench and appropriate vice blocks and it'll bust loose. I've only ever had to cut one off.

Comment

Put it back in the covered vice,
                smack the wrench with a dead blow
                plastic hammer (have someone hold the wrench).

Comment

Did you abandon?
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Graintex-DB14...=rubber+malletSolution

Comment

Good video, ya I've abandoned going this route in favor of a stock with the QD attachment point on it. It solves a couple of problems for me, namely I don't have to restake the castle nut and it solves the problem with the slack that is inherent with this Magpul stock that came on my Colt LE6920.

Now that I have a better idea of the purpose of staking it, I'd rather leave it alone and not have to do it again later. I was just trying to go the cheap route in using the Magpul ASP QD mount.

Comment

Out of my dozen plus ARs, I don't think I have more than 2 that are staked. Just sayin. Tighten that son of a bitch down and then I use a mallet to give a little impact.

Comment

I agree. I'm not sure staking your castle nut is a good idea. A slip with the punch and you've ruined your buffer tube. Like KsCobravert I have never had one come loose with blue loctite. I personally think this a solution looking for a problem.

Comment

The main argument for staking is that the military did it so it must be right. The reason they did it was took keep stupid GI's from taking shit apart that they weren't supposed to. Most GI's had little firearms training and some that did were Bubbas that could screw up a soup sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                              The main argument for staking is that the military did it so it must be right. The reason they did it was took keep stupid GI's from taking shit apart that they weren't supposed to. Most GI's had little firearms training and some that did were Bubbas that could screw up a soup sandwich.
                              Not sure about now, but if you did anything more than field strip your M16 when I was in, your ass was in hot water.

Comment

Working...
                              X