No announcement yet.

Sup y'all. Yes i got another money pit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sup y'all. Yes i got another money pit.

I really really wasnt trying to buy a car. Honest. Buddy told me about an STSV he saw online for 5k and I was gonna jump on it but when I looked it was just a V6 base model. But then I noticed a 2002 Jaguar XJR for only $5000 that was in my favorite color combo. Only 53000 miles, had to be something wrong. Dude said he had 6k in receipts for the car from the last 500 miles its acquired over the last 5 year period. Car just sits in the garage. He had coolant, oil, trans, diff, supercharger all drained and refilled. New valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket, new battery, new brakes all the way around, Goodyears dont have 300 miles on them and had all records and manuals as well as window sticker.
    I still wasnt trying to buy it. Told the guy I may make the hour drive to see it on the weekend (this is in April) and he offered to bring it to me so I could put it on the lift. So he did.
    Got the car up in the air and couldnt believe how nice it was. Not a drip, not a worn ball joint, brakes looked brand new with no corrosion, tires still had the little hairs on the tread.... only thing I could see was split rear sway links and that the front shocks were shot. I know those shocks and mounts were $700 but the rest of the car was amazing condition.
    I still wasnt trying to buy it. I just shot a stupid low ball offer. He accepted! So at noon I wasnt even looking and by 3PM I owned a car I wasnt trying to buy. lol
    Here it is the day i bought it:

Well my wife loves the car, I fell in love with it and like my last Jag its the one car that everyone smiles at and gives a thumbs up for. Just those classic Jag lines. Some friends offered me double what I paid but I decided to hold onto it. The 2002 version has addressed 3 of the 4 issues these cars had. Had the updated throttle body ($1000), updated timing chain guides and they have the better block that dosent have the cylinder wall issues any more. Car does have the CATS Sport shocks though and they are the most expensive ones but should last 50k miles.

Thought I could get by with the shocks for a bit but the next day the cars nose would dive when driving it so I went ahead and corrected that issue right away.

Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

*continued cause 10 pic limit*

Got invited to a Concourse D'Elegance for Jaguars in Dallas and car got best X308 award. lol

All I had done by that point was ceramic tint the windows, paint correction and ceramic coat the car and wheels as well as ditch the crappy oem shifter and bezel.

After that we took it to Texas Motor Speedway and got to do 5 laps on the super speedway. That was a blast! Unfortunately the Goodyears developed a bad vibration on the way home and with 1000 miles on them 3 of the 4 had tread separation. So I went ahead and slapped some Michelin Super Sports on it. Car is much happier now and very smooth at 140 now.

Since then I have just switched the candles they called headlights for some CREE bulbs, ordered some SI speakers to replace the horrid factory speakers and ordered the full intake kit from Mina Galleries. Its a smaller supercharger pulley, CAI box and an intake pipe that matches the 3" TB and 3" MAF instead of the 2.5" one it has now. With high flow mufflers its good for a 70 rwhp gain. For $400 it was worth it I think. I just cut off 2 of the 5 mufflers it has but dislike the drone from 40-45MPH so will prolly order their axle back to shut it up a tad.

Also scored a brace for stupid cheap from a dude in Irving. I didnt wanna pay $300 for one because nobody could tell me if it works but dude had one that was never opened for $100. I was actually surprised as the car corners flatter now, got rid of the squeak in the back seat and the tail doesnt dance when you brake really hard any more. Hell of an enhancement for $100! lol

So hows everyone here?
    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

That's one pretty car. I have liked them since they first came out.

Comment

You bought a Jag? Yeah you are a glutton for punishment. Is that generation interchangeable with Ford parts at least?

Comment

This generation is actually quite reliable and parts are cheap. The X308 was very robust with 4 serious issues. Bad chain tensioners (updated in 2001), bad metal mix in the cylinder walls (updated in 2001) and then the throttle body issue which was updated for 2002. The shocks are still expensive even from Rock Auto at $280 each but they dont really have other issues. Last one I had was 150k miles and ran spectacular. It has 230k on it now and i just see it for normal services and an alternator.
          Parts are cheap. OEM Denso alt is $128, ceramic pads are 38/54, rotors are 43 each, wheel bearings are $40, ball joints are $30, ignition coils are $32, etc etc. The only high dollar parts are the $30 each tiny coolant lines with the Norma fittings but there are only 6 of them. That and the shock mounts at $80ish each (but only $10 if you dont have the active shocks) Even the Benz transmission in it is under 2200 to rebuild and was made to withstand a twin turbo V12!

Comment

I’d roll it! Shit looks gangsta!
            "PSH!!!"

Comment

That’s a good looking ride man.

Comment

Thanks all. I am a tech guy and this car is very analog. I am amazed it has back up sensors. lol Its just such a nice car to drive. Rides like its on a cloud, corners amazing with the Michelins and braces and its okay quick. With the bolt ons it should be just over 400 rwhp and thats not bad for an old land yacht.
                The car has presence though and I just enjoy looking at it.

Comment

Resize those pics so we can look at 'em.

mardyn

Comment

Another nice find! Where do you find these cars? Always loved Jaguars but wouldn't consider one because of the reliability issues I've heard of.

Comment

nope.

Comment

Eww...I always thought this was one of the ugliest Jags ever made.

But if that's your cup of tea...at least you got a good deal!

Comment

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
                          Resize those pics so we can look at 'em.

mardyn
                          I always forget this is the worlds last forum that does not resize the pictures. lol
                          Originally posted by Jose View Post
                          Another nice find! Where do you find these cars? Always loved Jaguars but wouldn't consider one because of the reliability issues I've heard of.
                          Thank you. This was on FB Marketplace. And yeah, Jags have a terrible but well deserved rep. I wanted an XFR last year but doing research they are just garbage. The F Types have all kinds of issues, the X and S Types were always trash and then there is the XJs. The mid 90's inline 6 cars are stout and the 2001-2003 XJ8/XJR is very stout and cheap to fix. It is literally the most reliable Jag you can get. Id say its on par with the most recent taurus and Fusions. I like the 03+ Aluminum cars but they have trans issues and the motor got problematic again. The latter 2014+ cars are nice but LOADED with tech I feel will not age well.
                          Mine will be easy and cheap to take care of and i shouldnt have to worry about failures. Ive had a couple of these cars and know how solid they are.

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
                          nope.
                          Yeah its not everyones cup of tea. lol
                          Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                          Eww...I always thought this was one of the ugliest Jags ever made.

But if that's your cup of tea...at least you got a good deal!
                          Yeah people love them or hate them. I like it and for 4 grand its a decent superchagred cruiser.

Comment

Ik had a XKR and it was one of the best cars I have ever owned. Ford engine, benzo trans is a good combo. The open diff fucking sucks ass though.

Comment

Yeah open diff sucks and it's a grand for a good one. I am now starting on power mods. Did a baseline today and it did about what was expected. 104* in the shop, 110* IAT and 60% humidity. It made 293rwhp and 312 rwtq. Hope's the intake and pulley push it to 350ish. Anything past that requires a stand alone.
                              Had a guy solid offer me 12k for it today. Was really tempted but my wife really don't want me to sell it so I guess I won't. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X