Battery Powered Lawn Mowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Powered Lawn Mowers

I know I've read one of the threads here about some of you guys having battery powered lawn mowers. Unfortunately I couldn't find it (I'll look again tomorrow).

I need to buy a new mower and I was curious about these battery powered mower but worried about how good they are. I'm on 4 acres and do most of my mowing with a riding lawn mower but still have to use a push mower for stuff that I can't get into. Buddy of mine at work is also looking for a new mower and got to talking about these.

So what are the good and bad about them? What are you guys running? I'll probably still go with a gas mower just because I think it will be more durable for my situation but I'm curious.

My FiL has an eGo that we retired for a Honda. If it was more than a minor cut, it couldn't handle it, either the lack of power or we'd run out of battery packs.

Comment

My mother has a 36 volt Black and Decker self propelled walk behind mower and it seems to work pretty good and has enough battery to mow a typical suburban front and back yard. Actually I mowed her yard yesterday with it. Due to all the rain we've been dealing with there were several spots in her yard that were a bit tall...I did have to slow down in those spots to prevent the blade from bogging down but I could say the same thing happens with my 7hp Honda. I must admit I like how lightweight it is..it takes no effort to use it. My yard is substantially larger (about 1/4 acre) both front and back and I've wondered how well it would work at my house before it died. May borrow it one day and find out.

Comment

Yeah the type of mowing you need on a 4 acre lot would be more than they can handle. A buddy has a large postage stamp lot and bought into one of the more powerful battery ones and it works great for that. However, chances are you're going to need to mower higher/thicker weeds/grass and a lot more of it than your typical neighborhood lot.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
          Yeah the type of mowing you need on a 4 acre lot would be more than they can handle. A buddy has a large postage stamp lot and bought into one of the more powerful battery ones and it works great for that. However, chances are you're going to need to mower higher/thicker weeds/grass and a lot more of it than your typical neighborhood lot.
          He's got a riding mower for the acreage, and is looking for something to take care of tight spots.

Best investment I've ever made is getting a lawn service, yardwork takes up more time than I want to spend during an already short weekend.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

i was looking for a new mower about 5yrs ago and all i heard was how bad the power/battery life were on the battery op ones. fast forward to this week, was talking to my maintenance guy at the office and he said his craftsman battery op one is a complete ass kicker. plenty of power, doesn't bog down. so i am considering picking one up if i can find a "combo" deal where the mower, weedeater, and blower all have the same interchangeable battery.

god bless.
            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I’m sure they’re fine if you mow every 3-4 days in the middle of the summer..
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everybody. My buddy went ahead and order a Greenworks, 40V, 4 Amp mower so I'll see how that works out for him. I'm going to pick up a Honda sometime this week as time allows. I spent a couple of hours this weekend cutting grass with the push mower and I think for now, that's really my best option.

And yes I have a riding mower that I use for most of the yard, just use the push mower for the tight areas around trees, bushes, outside my fence. While doing some reading up, I see they make quite a few battery powered riding mowers. That is interesting.

Paul, post back here if you find something that can share the batteries between multiple tools. That might push me to buying one later on.

Comment

I cant speak for anything but the weed eater, but it's a hoss. Battery is good for about 40 mins of wide open use.

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Has anyone tried a robot mower yet? I know one of you ballers has an extra $1500 laying around to try one!!
                    "PSH!!!"

Comment

I think I am going with the Ego mower and string trimmer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                        Thanks for the feedback everybody. My buddy went ahead and order a Greenworks, 40V, 4 Amp mower so I'll see how that works out for him. I'm going to pick up a Honda sometime this week as time allows. I spent a couple of hours this weekend cutting grass with the push mower and I think for now, that's really my best option.

And yes I have a riding mower that I use for most of the yard, just use the push mower for the tight areas around trees, bushes, outside my fence. While doing some reading up, I see they make quite a few battery powered riding mowers. That is interesting.

Paul, post back here if you find something that can share the batteries between multiple tools. That might push me to buying one later on.
                        I'm confident that you'll not be disappointed with the Honda. My mom has one that's over 20yrs old and has God knows how many hours on it. I've changed the oil, plug, air filter, blades, pull start cord, wheels, self propel cable and such over the years, but those are wear items and relatively cheap. It sat for more than 9 months and still started on the first pull just a few weeks back.

As for the multiple equipment sharing batteries, the eGo stuff does. We still use the blower and weed eater, but the blower can kill a battery with the quickness. I typically use 3 batteries a pop to weed eat and blow things off. If I used the electric mower, I couldn't do everything as it would use 2 at a minimum.

The Honda we recently got can mow the side yard 3x on one tank of gas, mulch or bagged. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21...6VKA/308910379
                        Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                        I think I am going with the Ego mower and string trimmer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                        They're decent tools if you don't have a moderate to large yard too maintain. If you're goin to bag the grass, be sure to get a bagging blade, the mulch blade doesn't produce much lift/vacuum and doesn't discharge into the bag very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                          I'm confident that you'll not be disappointed with the Honda. My mom has one that's over 20yrs old and has God knows how many hours on it. I've changed the oil, plug, air filter, blades, pull start cord, wheels, self propel cable and such over the years, but those are wear items and relatively cheap. It sat for more than 9 months and still started on the first pull just a few weeks back.

As for the multiple equipment sharing batteries, the eGo stuff does. We still use the blower and weed eater, but the blower can kill a battery with the quickness. I typically use 3 batteries a pop to weed eat and blow things off. If I used the electric mower, I couldn't do everything as it would use 2 at a minimum.

The Honda we recently got can mow the side yard 3x on one tank of gas, mulch or bagged. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21...6VKA/308910379

They're decent tools if you don't have a moderate to large yard too maintain. If you're goin to bag the grass, be sure to get a bagging blade, the mulch blade doesn't produce much lift/vacuum and doesn't discharge into the bag very well.
                          I’ve had 4 Hrx217’s and they are absolute monsters for homeowner mowers.. if anyone buys one it will likely be the last mower they ever need. The older ones come with the gcv190 (biggest old honda engine on a mower) and the newer ones come with gcv200’s (current biggest honda mower engine available).. it’s the best homeowner mower I’ve ever used commercially and cuts better than anything.. it’s has similar power to the commercial Kawasaki mower engines and more power than the commercial honda mowers (gxv190)

I’m a mower nerd sorry
                          "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                            I’ve had 4 Hrx217’s and they are absolute monsters for homeowner mowers.. if anyone buys one it will likely be the last mower they ever need. The older ones come with the gcv190 (biggest old honda engine on a mower) and the newer ones come with gcv200’s (current biggest honda mower engine available).. it’s the best homeowner mower I’ve ever used commercially and cuts better than anything.. it’s has similar power to the commercial Kawasaki mower engines and more power than the commercial honda mowers (gxv190)

I’m a mower nerd sorry
                            Mom's old one is an HRT216 that she got with the purchase of a new Civic. Legit best mower I've ever used.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                              Mom's old one is an HRT216 that she got with the purchase of a new Civic. Legit best mower I've ever used.
                              That's what I have. It hasn't even fouled the stock plug, and it's roughly 17 years old. The transmission on mine needs to be replaced.
                              sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                              17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                              13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                              86 SVO - Sold
                              '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                              01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                              65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X