adult tonsillectomy ---EKK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adult tonsillectomy ---EKK

I went from not even seeing a doctor for almost 10 years aside from sinus infections to THREE surgeries all within same calendar year!

Ok so who has had this done as an adult. I get DISGUSTING tonsil stones and the only was to be rid of them is removal of said tonsils. My wife had it done 6 years ago and it was hell, but anyone have a NOT so horror story to tell about it?

I had it done at 25. For reference I’ve had three back surgeries, ligament repair in my knee and hernia repair.

The tonsillectomy was the worst by far but after years of chronic tonsillitis it was worth it and I’d do it again if I had to.

Comment

Uh, I had a co-worker that had it done and recovered well, but she seems to be superwoman anyway. Everyone else was down for 3 weeks or so.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Done it.

Fucking sucks.

I was ~21 i think? Not long before I had it done I talked to a friend's mom who also had it done as an adult. She told me she'd rather give birth to all three of her kids again with no meds. I didn't believe it until day 2-3 of the recovery. It sucks at first, but you think it's manageable. Then it gets way worse from days 2.5 - 5 or so, then you start tapering back to reality.

I've been pepper sprayed, I've broken bones, I've lost skin to hot headers, i've torn shit in my knee that required surgery, done the sinus surgeries, I've had gasoline in my ear, I've even spilled B12 Chemtool on my balls (don't ask)... but waking up at 2am on the third night, trying my damn hardest just to swallow liquid painkillers and feeling like my throat was going to rip apart... that's the worse pain I can remember in my life. I actually thought about slamming my face into the granite countertop until I just passed out.

But now that it's all over - worth it. No more strep throat, etc, so I have that going for me.

(this was also before my sinus surgery, so I was likely mouth breathing while sleeping which does NOT help the recovery)

Comment

Had it done when I was 13 or 14. Best thing ever. I don’t get tonsillitis anymore. I can breathe so much better. And no snoring. Few days of Following doctors orders and that’s it.
          sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
          🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

So for those of you that had it done in your 20's, was this within the last 5 years? Pretty sure technology has improved by a lot!

I had mine removed as a teen some 30 years ago(.... Fuck) and I remember being down for a few weeks and could only eat very soft foods. I seem to recall seeing people mentioning there kids having it done in the past 5'ish years and them saying it wasn't a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
              So for those of you that had it done in your 20's, was this within the last 5 years? Pretty sure technology has improved by a lot!
              I was 20-21 when I had mine done, and I just turned 35. I'd hope the tech has improved, for every patients' sake.

Comment

I was 29 or 30 when I had mine removed. It sucked! I also had a bunch of other stuff along with it that could have attributed to some of the suckage but I do recall not being comfortable for about 2 weeks post surgery.
                01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

I get tonsil stones as well, but there is no fucking way I'd remove the tonsil unless absolutely necessary. It hurts like hell when I stab my tonsil with a dorito, I can only imagine having them cut out.

Comment

Had mine done back in like 1962 or 1963, old school procedure for sure and back when going to a hospital usually meant an overnight stay. Definitely not an adult though, LOL.

Comment

Damn we have some old goats around here. I really had no idea when I joined bitd...

Comment

I’d avoid that surgery if at all possible. I’ve taken care of people postop and it looks miserable. You’ll taste and smell like someone shit in your mouth for a week or more...but, if you’re a fatty, you’ll loss 20lbs pretty quickly. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                        X