Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you are in a vastly different career than where you thought you'd be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
    says the sucker paying his buddies debt.
    And still able to afford pretty much anything I want. Thanks for playing.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
      And still able to afford pretty much anything I want. Thanks for playing.
      too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
        I went to college four years, got degree, worked in that profession for nine months.

Been self employed 13 years this spring. No way I'd have another boss again in this life.
        Amen! Though I am married, so...

Comment

Growing up I always figured I’d go to law school. After working for my pops at the family law firm I decided that wasn’t for me at all. Luis (Osiris) convinced me to look at LE and Trublu took me on a ride along at FT worth PD back when I was 18 or 19. Still didn’t think I’d end up in it. Now I’m coming up on four years and can’t imagine doing anything else. Never thought I’d be making this kind of money at 25 to do a job that hardly feels like a job. Bought a house this year. Glad I ended up where I did.
          2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
            Growing up I always figured I’d go to law school. After working for my pops at the family law firm I decided that wasn’t for me at all. Luis (Osiris) convinced me to look at LE and Trublu took me on a ride along at FT worth PD back when I was 18 or 19. Still didn’t think I’d end up in it. Now I’m coming up on four years and can’t imagine doing anything else. Never thought I’d be making this kind of money at 25 to do a job that hardly feels like a job. Bought a house this year. Glad I ended up where I did.
            Where is that guy? I always thought he was a cool dude

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
              Where is that guy? I always thought he was a cool dude
              He's around, but not on the board.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                Yes
                That is great. Are you a part of humanizing the badge? Also, when working for CPS I was a "by the book" colossal asshole. Almost every time I had to tell a kid what to do it turned into a physical confrontation which then led to a restraint which then led to mounds of paperwork. I hated it and my job. Unfortunately I didn't realize why I disliked it so much until years later when I became a parent.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                  That is great. Are you a part of humanizing the badge? Also, when working for CPS I was a "by the book" colossal asshole. Almost every time I had to tell a kid what to do it turned into a physical confrontation which then led to a restraint which then led to mounds of paperwork. I hated it and my job. Unfortunately I didn't realize why I disliked it so much until years later when I became a parent.
                  Jason's cooler than the other side of the pillow.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                    Jason's cooler than the other side of the pillow.
                    I agree, you can tell a lot by the way a person types his thoughts to a keyboard.

I have not met him in person yet, but hes a guy I wouldn't mind having a cold beer with...
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I had no idea you became a cop, didn't see that coming....

Comment

I never thought that I would be in the industry that I'm in. I work for the largest private home builder in the state, 4th largest in the nation, and build single family homes as a career. When I was grade school age, I wanted to be an architect, so that is sort of relatable. As I got older, I gravitated toward math and science, as they came easy to me and I enjoyed them, so architecture turned into engineering. As I got close to graduation, I wanted to become a mechanical engineer.

Family obligations and generally not being comfortable with myself enough to set out on my own and go to a large university led me to stay local. I ended up with a Physics degree, hoping to land in engineering. It was QUITE the opposite. A myriad of jobs over a 7-8 year span eventually ended in getting hired with my current company on the recommendation of a friend and old co-worker. Now, here I am. I love my job, the company I work for, and the opportunities it has provided for me and my family.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
                          I had no idea you became a cop, didn't see that coming....
                          Hell I didn't either. You and Probie both get to wear uniforms and play with guns.

Comment

Good for you, you got it figured out young! I was 30 before I really found a path that suited me!

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                              I ended up with a Physics degree
                              I think you and I have talked about this before, but that was my intent when I started undergrad (thinking ahead to astrophysics). Bailed to engineering after 3 semesters, but in the spirit of the other lottery thread if I ever don't have to worry about money or time I'd love to actually put that on my resume.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                                I think you and I have talked about this before, but that was my intent when I started undergrad (thinking ahead to astrophysics). Bailed to engineering after 3 semesters, but in the spirit of the other lottery thread if I ever don't have to worry about money or time I'd love to actually put that on my resume.
                                I'm not sure if we have or not. Though I used to thoroughly enjoy the science threads. I actually finished my physics degree, I wish I had the foresight to change at the time. I thoroughly enjoy watching the looks on peoples faces when I tell them I have a physics degree, it gets comical at times.

I finished one course way from a dual major in physics and math, I had some issues with differential equations.

Comment

Working...
                                X