Our wall gentlemen and ladies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our wall gentlemen and ladies

US President Donald Trump has signed directives allowing him to build a wall along the country's border with Mexico.

Trump said construction on the wall could start "within months" and that planning would commence immediately.

He insisted once again that Mexico will pay back "100 per cent" of the costs of building the walled frontier.

This will include executive orders restricting refugees and blocking the issuing of visas to people from several Muslim-majority Middle Eastern and North African countries.

These countries include Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Iraq, Iran, Libya and Yemen.

Trump signed two executive orders during an appearance at the Department of Homeland Security, one on building a wall along the roughly 2,000-mile (3,200-kilometre) US-Mexico border and the other to strip federal grant money from "sanctuary" states and cities, often governed by Democrats, that harbor illegal immigrants.

Trump prepares to sign an executive order at Homeland Security headquarters.
    JONATHAN ERNST
    Trump prepares to sign an executive order at Homeland Security headquarters.

Big day planned on NATIONAL SECURITY tomorrow. Among many other things, we will build the wall!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 25, 2017
    In cities such as San Francisco, local officials - often Democrats - refuse to cooperate with federal authorities on actions against illegal immigrants.

"The American people are no longer going to have to be forced to subsidise this disregard for our laws," White House spokesman Sean Spicer said.

Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto, left, will meet with his US counterpart next week.
    BLOOMBERG
    Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto, left, will meet with his US counterpart next week.

In an interview with ABC News on Wednesday, Trump said construction on the wall would start within months, with planning starting immediately, and that Mexico would pay back to the United States "100 per cent" of the costs.

Mexican officials have said they will not pay for the wall.

During a White House briefing, Spicer referred to the wall as "a large physical barrier on the southern border."

0:06
    /
    2:14

'Mexico does not believe in walls' - Nieto
    President Pena Nieto says Mexico "will work for a border that unites us and not one that divides us".

"Building this barrier is more than just a campaign promise, it's a common sense first step to really securing our porous border," Spicer added.

"This will stem the flow of drugs, crime, illegal immigration into the United States," he said.

Trump has long said that he will make Mexico pay for the wall.

Donald Trump will get to work on making good on his controversial immigration plans.
    KEVIN LAMARQUE
    Donald Trump will get to work on making good on his controversial immigration plans.

"We'll be reimbursed at a later date from whatever transaction we make from Mexico," Trump told ABC on Wednesday.

"I'm just telling you there will be a payment. It will be in a form, perhaps a complicated form. What I'm doing is good for the United States. It's also going to be good for Mexico. We want to have a very stable, very solid Mexico."

His plans prompted an immediate outcry from immigrant advocates who said Trump was jeopardising the rights and freedoms of millions of people.

US-Mexico tensions will be put to their biggest test.
    Reuters
    US-Mexico tensions will be put to their biggest test.

'POLITICAL THEATRE'

"The border wall is about political theatre at the expense of civil liberties," said Christian Ramirez, director of the Southern Border Communities Coalition immigrant advocacy group.

"It is not national security policy. Border communities are among the safest in the nation and patrolling them with tens of thousands of heavily armed, poorly trained, unaccountable agents puts lives at risks. This will turn these communities into de facto military zones," Ramirez said.

The pledge to build wall is the main feature of Donald Trump's controversial immigration plans.
    KEVIN LAMARQUE
    The pledge to build wall is the main feature of Donald Trump's controversial immigration plans.

Trump made cracking down on illegal immigration a key element of his presidential campaign, with supporters often chanting "Build the wall," during his rallies.

The cost, nature and extent of the wall remain unclear. Trump last year put the cost at "probably $8 billion," although other estimates are higher, and said the wall would span 1,000 miles (1,600 km) because of the terrain of the border.

Many Democrats have opposed the plan and could try to thwart any legislation to pay for the construction in the U.S. Congress, although Republicans control both the Senate and House of Representatives.

Trump has insisted that Enrique Pena Nieto's country will pay for the wall.
    HENRY ROMERO/REUTERS
    Trump has insisted that Enrique Pena Nieto's country will pay for the wall.

Spicer said Trump's directives would also end the practice known by critics as "catch and release" in which authorities apprehend illegal immigrants on U.S. territory but do not immediately detain or deport them. He said they would create more detention space for illegal immigrants along the southern border to make it easier and cheaper to detain and deport them.

Trump's actions could fundamentally change the American stance on immigration, as well as further testing relations with Mexico.

Many Americans view their country with pride as "a nation of immigrants," and President John Kennedy wrote a book with that title more than half a century ago. But Trump successfully tapped into resentment toward the roughly 11 million illegal immigrants already in the United States and said during the campaign he would deport them all.

Trump, who in announcing his presidential bid in June 2015 accused Mexico of sending rapists and criminals into the United States, has also threatened to slap hefty taxes on companies that produce in Mexico for the US market and to tear up the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between the Mexico, Canada and the United States.

Trump and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto are due to meet next week.

Asked about Trump's wall, Republican US Senator John McCain said a physical barrier is not enough to secure the border and called for the additional use of observation towers, drones and other technology.

"Walls can be easily breached," McCain, whose home state of Arizona borders Mexico, told MSNBC's "Morning Joe" program.

- Reuters
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

I still have my doubts that any wall will ever be built. However I think Trump is using this, and his fight to bring manufacturing back to the US, to bully Mexico into doing something about illegal immigration. If Mexico starts taking it seriously then maybe a wall won't be needed. There is a lot they can do like stopping money transfers from illegals to their families in Mexico and not recognizing dual citizenship.

Comment

Wall, but also crack down super harshly on businesses who employ them.
      WH

Comment

LOL...A wall would take 6-8 years to build and it wont happen.

I just need to know when to pack my bags??
        Originally posted by Da Prez
        Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
        Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced4v View Post

You're illegal??
          WH

Comment

I believe Israel had a system set up that alerts them as soon as a border crossing occurs then they dispatch the military. Why not something similar?
            "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

"The border wall is about political theatre at the expense of civil liberties," said Christian Ramirez, director of the Southern Border Communities Coalition immigrant advocacy group.

"It is not national security policy. Border communities are among the safest in the nation and patrolling them with tens of thousands of heavily armed, poorly trained, unaccountable agents puts lives at risks. This will turn these communities into de facto military zones," Ramirez said.
              Where is this guy getting his info from?
              G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                Where is this guy getting his info from?
                CNN most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced4v View Post

We won WWII and went to the moon in less time. Give me the contract and 28 billion dollars to do it and I will have a wall going from the Pacific Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico in 18 months.

Give Elon Musk the contract to build the wall along with 60 billion dollars and he could complete the wall and have a manned moon base by the end of Trump's 1st term.

Edit: China built a wall by hand thousands of years ago without using concrete and most of it is still standing.
                  Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 01-25-2017, 04:02 PM.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Quite honestly I see this almost as FDR style move. It will employ thousands of workers and will be Trumps legacy, started mere days into his presidency.

I am still a proponent of bring all of our troops back home, set them up in newly created military bases all along the southwest and let them defend this country, IN this country. We need to stop being the world's nanny. If country's want to blow each other up, go for it. Like mentioned above, Israel and many other countries use their military to secure their borders, lets get on board with that while keeping our service members (relatively) safe and employed.

Comment

For the proposed costs of the wall, wouldn't it be A LOT cheaper to hire a ton more border patrol agents and properly equip them?

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                        For the proposed costs of the wall, wouldn't it be A LOT cheaper to hire a ton more border patrol agents and properly equip them?

They are going to do that too.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                          Not even a little bit.

A one time cost vs ongoing pay, pension, healthcare costs.

A wall puts tens of thousands to work without those legacy albatrosses.

Then there's the politics to consider:

The wall plays into this whole theme of "rebuilding" America, that Trump has going. The buildup for this will be in many of the same industries that repairing our roads and bridges will be. There is a lot of overlap there, and frankly, our manufacturing base needs some impetus for spooling up again. Most of our manufacturing infrastructure is either idle or derelict. Money is needed, and money is what will be coming. There are few ways to govt could spend it better anyway.

I'm sure we've had enough studies of weed's affect on brine shrimp while runnnig on little treadmills to last a lifetime.

A wall is more permanent, whereas with yours protection stops when the money stops flowing after the Dems regain control.

A wall is a force multiplier, being a permanent impediment, it can be garrisoned with fewer men and materiale - so when the Dems regain control, it will be MUCH harder to gut the border force because they won't have the political cover of "drawing down from an "unprecedented" buildup" as just having more agents alone will be.
                          Last edited by sc281; 01-25-2017, 05:27 PM.

Comment

And besides, the wall is necessary for the master plan.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                              Quite honestly I see this almost as FDR style move. It will employ thousands of workers and will be Trumps legacy, started mere days into his presidency.

I am still a proponent of bring all of our troops back home, set them up in newly created military bases all along the southwest and let them defend this country, IN this country. We need to stop being the world's nanny. If country's want to blow each other up, go for it. Like mentioned above, Israel and many other countries use their military to secure their borders, lets get on board with that while keeping our service members (relatively) safe and employed.
                              Only issue I can see with that being, once left unchecked, the scum of the world have a tendency to like to use wmd's on each other. Stuff that would affect us. Viruses, buying/developing a nuke, etc etc. But that might be a non issue as long as we still just keep a very close eye on them. Kill all the ones associated with doing any of that, immediately. But otherwise yes bring all troops back home and stop being nanny. Let them kill each other as much as they want, as long as it in no way affects us.

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                              A one time cost vs ongoing pay, pension, healthcare costs.

A wall puts tens of thousands to work without those legacy albatrosses.

Then there's the politics to consider:

There are few ways to govt could spend it better anyway.

I'm sure we've had enough studies of weed's affect on brine shrimp while runnnig on little treadmills to last a lifetime.

A wall is more permanent, whereas with yours protection stops when the money stops flowing after the Dems regain control.

A wall is a force multiplier, being a permanent impediment, it can be garrisoned with fewer men and materiale - so when the Dems regain control, it will be MUCH harder to gut the border force because they won't have the political cover of "drawing down from an "unprecedented" buildup" as just having more agents alone will be.
                              All very good points for building the wall.
                              WH

Comment

Working...
                              X