No announcement yet.

diy home security camera system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following this thread. Need to install a systems at my mom's. She is paying $80 for a system now.

Comment

Was looking at starting a new thread when I came across this on a search.

I currently have a wired 4 camera system (no sound) with a DVR that I'm having trouble with and thinking about upgrading (or supplementing if I can get it working again) to a wireless system. Looks like this has been updated in over a year and was wondering what everybody's thoughts were on any updated technology that has come out since.

I'm looking for a 3-4 camera system that's wireless, can be used with a DVR or Cloud storage, preferable with two way sound, and battery powered but also have the option for AC powered as well, and work with Amazon Alexa. Suggestions?

Comment

From what you are describing, I would say look at the Arlo cameras.

Comment

If you need Arlo's I got you. I was slowly piecing together the ultimate Arlo system but since I caught the bandits terrorizing our neighborhood I'm like

check it out: https://dallas.craigslist.org/search...+arlo&sort=rel

Arlo Pro and above is the only way to go. Original Arlo sucks ass and yes for what you're looking for Arlo is the best overall option
          Last edited by hxbernal; 08-04-2018, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. The Arlo cameras are actually what I'm leaning towards. Just wasn't sure if any other manufacturers were offering features that were similar. hxbernal, I'll take a look at what you've got. But I've got a buddy working at Best Buy that I might be getting a discount on these.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
              Thanks guys. The Arlo cameras are actually what I'm leaning towards. Just wasn't sure if any other manufacturers were offering features that were similar. hxbernal, I'll take a look at what you've got. But I've got a buddy working at Best Buy that I might be getting a discount on these.
              Sounds good, but yeah regarding your other options. After pouring over tons of reviews and deciphering which reviewers are legit and which are just dumb-asses that can't comprehend simple instructions the Arlo Pro overall was the better pick by a decent margin (I also took into account what you get included vs the paid subscriptions). Alot of people are even passing up on the newest Arlo Pro 2 model because in order to fully take advantage of the better picture it gets requires it to have a constant power source i.e. needs to be plugged not to mention the hefty price tag

Comment

What is the very best one of em all?
                WH

Comment

Originally posted by hxbernal View Post
                  Sounds good, but yeah regarding your other options. After pouring over tons of reviews and deciphering which reviewers are legit and which are just dumb-asses that can't comprehend simple instructions the Arlo Pro overall was the better pick by a decent margin (I also took into account what you get included vs the paid subscriptions). Alot of people are even passing up on the newest Arlo Pro 2 model because in order to fully take advantage of the better picture it gets requires it to have a constant power source i.e. needs to be plugged not to mention the hefty price tag
                  Thanks for the insight!

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                  What is the very best one of em all?
                  Guess it would depend on what features you are wanting.

Comment

I'm just grabbing 720P or better cameras as they become available for indoor purposes. Usually spending 25-35 dollars and will continue to do that until I have 3-4 spares. When one goes bad - trash and put up another.

My only requirements are pan/tilt, 2 way audio and be compatible with blue iris in one way or another. The last requirement with the dirt cheap cameras can require some more effort - but once up no big deal.

Outdoor cameras is where I'll have to spend a few more bucks since they are not as expendable as the indoor ones since their initial costs are high for ones that last more than 6-12 months.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Re: Arlo Pro Cameras

I ended up selling a 2 camera system yesterday so I reconfigured my listings.

If you're looking for an entry level system that you can add to later the 1 camera system is a good place to start.

I have 3 of these available
                      Last edited by hxbernal; 08-15-2018, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I have a system in my house, so the door bell and indoor camera in the window facing outside. They work OK anf the DB has sound and mic.

I recently bought a ZModo 1080p outdoor with 95ft night vision with motion detection it was right at $80.00 and they give you 36 hrs of free footage since they have their own servers. Of course if you need more they charge you per month, you download their APP to your phone and it alerts you if you turn on that function.
                        I've had it about a year and haven't needed more than the free coverage. Great picture and the night vision is great, they do need a power source and Wifi. They have all kinds on their website, indoor, outdoor, 720p/1080p, sound, pan/zoom, etc.
                        Originally posted by Silverback
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I got rid of all my Axis cameras years ago and have been running Hikvision. I don't think you can beat the price for the quality.

Comment

So I ordered a few Zmodo cameras based on this thread. The Pivot came yesterday, and the rest are arriving today. I just opened this thing and am trying to set it up, and nothing's working. The tiny instruction pamphlet that came with it is worthless. The app has a button to "start setup", but that just takes me out of the app and into to my iPhone settings. There are no other options other than that button. WTF?

I'm currently on hold with Zmodo tech support. 28 minutes and counting...

I'm real close to boxing it back up and sending it back.

Question - if by some miracle I do get it working, what are the subscriptions for? They list the features, but they don't explain what those features mean/do, and they don't tell you what you get for free.

This whole setup is Chinese bullshit!

EDIT: Got it working. Finally got a pretty solid tech guy on the phone. He said mine came with an outdated pamphlet, and that the instructions are different for a iPhone. We still had to go through the setup a few times before it started working. All good now.
                            Last edited by jluv; 11-20-2019, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Damn, I'm glad you go it up and running, that's one thing is they do pick up the phone. The instructions do suck and I did everything online, I have Android based phone.

I'm about to order a DB camera and 4 outside camera unit(s). This Vivint shit is OK, but I'm done paying for a monthly monitored syetem that in my 4 yrs I never once needed or used, the internet out here sucks so most of the time when someone rang the doorbell it didn't work, they didn't software update me when they installed the updated main box and I haven't had recorded data, for two months and I had to call back again, so fuck'em, I'm leaving the shit here and just using self monitoring like the Z-modo stuff.

To answer one of your questions Jared, the first 36 hrs. recorded data is free and after that you can subscribe for a monthly fee for more, but I have been rolling with the free stuff and its enough for me, I believe the extra is for business' and people that are out of town or need remote viewing. I like that they have their own servers (or access to) and even with my bullshit internet it works better than the Vivint stuff, anyway, I'm glad you got it up and running and hopefully it works for you. I know there is a lot of other companies out there, but I like their cameras, I've had my units for about 4 years and they still work, once I did get a some condensation on one the cameras and I had to crack it open and clean and readjust the rubber gasket, but other than that they works great.
                              Originally posted by Silverback
                              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I've missed this thread entirely, but I got the Arlo Pro 2 kit with 3 cameras this summer for like $550ish I think. It's been great and was stupid easy to setup and use... I just need to get some power cables for the outdoor ones so I don't have to change the batteries and they can record all the time to the cloud.
                                Originally posted by stevo
                                Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                                X