$11,567 to educate a student, again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $11,567 to educate a student, again.

While public education spending makes up about a third of the state budget, Booker ISD Superintendent Mike Lee said some quick math shows Texas spends about $8 an hour per student, based on average per-pupil spending of $11,567 and the number of school days and hours of instruction.
    http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/...p-cuts-schools

Temple Christian School tuition is less than $6,500. How can they do it for half the price?

class joke
    {
    private:
    char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
    double Peas, Carrots;
    string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
    };

Wait, a private industry does it better for less? (Just guess, did not read the links above but seems straight forward)
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

ever seen what football coaches get paid in public schools ?

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
        I think (but am not sure) that it could be argued they help bring a lot of money into a school as well. (Concessions) I know some of the schools I do work for really rely on their concessions from games and such.

With that said, maybe if they did not spend so much they would not have to worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
          I think (but am not sure) that it could be argued they help bring a lot of money into a school as well. (Concessions) I know some of the schools I do work for really rely on their concessions from games and such.

With that said, maybe if they did not spend so much they would not have to worry about it.
          Half million $ stadium at every school helps finance the school through over priced concessions at 15-20 events a year??? They would get a better rate of return from a bank CD.
          class joke
          {
          private:
          double Peas, Carrots;
          };

Comment

Originally posted by TexasDevilDog View Post
            Half million $ stadium at every school helps finance the school through over priced concessions at 15-20 events a year??? They would get a better rate of return from a bank CD.
            Well an ISD in particular that I'm thinking of near mineral wells basically had their stadium donated - according to them.

I'm not arguing the point really, just...hell I am. Not that I agree with my own arguments - just stating some counter opinions for the sake of it.

Comment

i live in the sticks. and i can tell you coaches get paid more than teachers. for the most part they dont do shit. one small town here built a new basketball building but spent all the money before finishing. couple of ranchers wrote checks to finish. the problem in too many towns is they worry more about sports than education. as for making money that's bs. the electric cost more for a game than they could make selling concessions .
              but i am a little bias . my bride is a teacher and i hate fucking football and it burns my ass to pay taxes to support the shit..

Comment

I'm with ya for sure on the worrying more about sports vs education thing. I think sports are a good activity for kids, but for a lot of kids it is their only purpose - which education should be the main purpose.

Comment

I believe sports at school should be available, as should arts, music and academics. Kids should be given the opportunity to excel in whatever they pursue. I have a problem with the pay back of the cost of a sports program such as football that may only benefit a handful of students with possible scholarship opportunities in the future versus the hundreds of kids in the entire school. How many kids can get scholarships for playing football from one team?
                  class joke
                  {
                  private:
                  double Peas, Carrots;
                  };

Comment

Originally posted by TexasDevilDog View Post
                    Actually our stadium in Keller has about $4million invested in it.

$1 less than the Principal.
                    Detailing by Dylan
                    817-494-3396
                    Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
                    Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

Originally posted by 89gt-stanger View Post
                      Actually our stadium in Keller has about $4million invested in it.
                      Good gawd. I was just guessing.
                      class joke
                      {
                      private:
                      double Peas, Carrots;
                      };

Comment

i live in the sticks. and i can tell you coaches get paid more than teachers.
                        As they should. They have to teach, and coach, and put in more time.

Really?
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

ask kimmie who puts in more time. and not all coaches teach a class. some dont do shit .
                          it is absolutely amazing to me that we pay a friggin football coach more than we pay teachers , police and firefighters . next time your house is on fire call the football coach.....

Comment

The assumptions in this thread are ridiculous. The number that they are giving you is a average of each student in the district. It takes into account all of the "free" shit and entitlements that the majority of students get today.
                            The coaching argument is just plan dumbassery. The coaching stipend for AISD is for an assistant coach for 2 sports is $6,948. If you are a head coach of a sport and assistant of a second sport you get $8,433. When you spread that out over the 10 months extra time that you put in it ends up being less than minimum wage. Coaches just do go home at 530 when practice is over and get the summers off like the rest of the teachers. We are always going up to the school during the summer, spring break, christmas break to work with kids, prepare fields or work tournaments.
                            Could the school districts save some money by trimming the fat? Hell yes they could but taking away coaching stipends isnt the answer. Take away some of the other dumbass entitlements like free lunch and pregnancy support. Being on a team builds character and accountability.
                            Not all coaches teach PE and speech. The majority of them teach science, history or math.
                            Last edited by Venom; 01-18-2011, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Venom View Post
                              Take away some of the other dumbass entitlements like free lunch and pregnancy support.
                              Wow
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X