Air Handler has Frozen Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Handler has Frozen Coils

Yesterday was the first time I ever noticed water dripping from my soffit vent.

1. I first cleared condensate line. I used a shop Vac to do this it was extremely clogged. I did this in my bathroom, and both side of the p-trap. It was extremely clogged with sandy like dirt.

2. I noticed that the coils on the handler were frozen. The coils though didn't seem to be overly dirty. I also replaced the air filter about a month ago. I turned the system off and allowed them to completely de thaw.

Is there anything I can do other than to turn the system back on?

I planned to monitor it for 24 hours before calling out a pro.

Probably low on refrigerant.

Comment

You didn't mention your air filter.. if it's super dirty, it may cause those symptoms.. but most likely low on refrigerant..
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

The sandy like dirt is probably rust from the evaporator drain pan. Just keep the drain lines clear and you will probably replace the system before the pan rusts through.

The coils could freeze due to low refrigerant, air restriction not allowing enough air to cross the coils (filter), or an open window/threshold allowing excessive humidity into the house. These are your most likely culprits.

Comment

had a guy out yesterday to add a couple of pounds of R-22. He said 5 I have no idea. He recommended replacing the entire system. He said I have a leak somewhere.

Air filter was clean.

any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by MULEY4X4 View Post
            had a guy out yesterday to add a couple of pounds of R-22. He said 5 I have no idea. He recommended replacing the entire system. He said I have a leak somewhere.

Air filter was clean.

any thoughts?
            I recently went through some of this with a geothermal system. R-22 is indication of an old system. There maybe a repairable leak somewhere though, but it just depends on how much you want to spend to keep it rolling.

R-22 is getting more expensive every year. Unsure if it's supply and demand or just plain rip off but a little research indicates that everyone is paying more for that to be supplied to customers.

My gut tells me you're going to be happier with a replacement. You could spend 500-2000 to have it run for a little while longer, but it sounds pretty old and that's when other failures occur too.

Good luck
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Is it a trane? I helped a buddy of mine do some a/c work last year and every trane we did all leaked at the same spot in the coil!

Comment

Working...
              X