PVC lumber source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC lumber source?

So recently I bought some pvc trim board at Lowes and would like to tackle a couple more projects using pvc. Only problem is Lowes just sells trim pvc, like 1x4 or 1x6. I would need pvc studs about 2x8, but google isn't turning up anything local. I found a couple of online sources, but of course would have to pay for shipping. For this stuff I'd like to try and find a local source first if possible.

I think vinyl trim looks OK, vinyl siding not so much, but the fences that people are putting up everywhere made out of pvc just plain hurt my eyes.

PVC should last a long time as long as it has UV inhibitors added to the formula (if outdoors), but it doesn't seem like it would be structurally strong in 2x8 fashion the way that wood is.

PVC will probably never be considered environmentally friendly either due to what it is made of, although some of the smarter suppliers are now touting the fact that PVC is made of 60% salt. Toxic fume releases when burning is also a concern.

I've used PVC substrates extensively in the graphic arts industry for many years but have never seen any PVC in anything other than sheets, rolls, or 1x4's. Might be something out there and would be interested in knowing about it if you find it.

Comment

Dont really care about environmentally friendly crap. Ask enough people and some will tell you that just breathing hurts the environment from carbon dioxide release.

Anyway, this is the main site I've found so far for pvc lumber, but obviously if there's someplace local I figure I could save on shipping charges.

Shop durable, long-lasting, and low-maintenance plastic lumber, pergolas, fences, and more.

Comment

Working...
      X